walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Luibhean dash

Beinn Luibhean dash

Postby kevsbald » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 17/12/2010

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 610m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had the day off and fancied a wee dash north to tick off this hill. It would mean I had grabbed all the Arrochar alps at both Munro and Corbett height - needless to say I do love this area and it's only an hour from the door. There are some good things to life in Glasgow. I had a leisurely brekkie and was off out at 0915, with a start at 1015. It was 0C but it didn't feel it and there was sna in the air. I saw two punters heading on to Beinn an Lochain and hoped the cloud would lift for them. I decided to skirt the forestry and head initially for the bealach between my target and Beinn Ime but I headed further South and on to hill proper, once past the 'no-go' forestry area. It really made for a quick ascent but a biting wind was blowing from the West. I didn't hang about today and really pinged it up to the summit, where I took a couple of self-portraits (one with the 10 second timer, which wasn't as I planned) and one to show the hoar sticking to my beard (enough!). Beinn an Lochain looked quite bleak. Chilly. I stuck on my crampons as it would be a little slippy heading back down and was back at the car in quick time. The hardest bit was the path back to the mobile mast as the recent thaw and freeze had made the path into a dodgy escalator. No matter, it had been a good wee stretch of the legs and I was on my way home for lunch by 1300. Q a grey day weather/photo wise but good to be out all the same.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF5087.JPG
Starting oot
DSCF5091.JPG
'View' to the bealach between Ime and Luibhean
DSCF5093.JPG
Bleak Beinn an Lochain
DSCF5095.JPG
Hiya!
DSCF5096.JPG
Hoar on my face - lucky me!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn Luibhean dash

Postby magicdin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:34 pm

smash and grab right enough - well done :D
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Graeme D » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:27 pm

kevsbald wrote:one to show the hoar sticking to my beard (enough!).

Now, that's a line I've never come across before in a TR on this site! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:45 pm

You're a jammy sod, Dr. P - I always seem to need most of a day and you manage a few hours ! (Maybe I'm getting old...)

kevsbald wrote:which wasn't as I planned) and one to show the hoar sticking to my beard

glad your spelling is better than some :lol: :lol:

Loved the peekaboo picture called Hiya! 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CurlyWurly » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Now that looks more like the weather you bring along when we hit the hills!!!

Cracking stuff none the less :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Nice report as always, Kev! Thon's something of a scary close-up though :wtf: .
Luibhean is a nice wee hill I'd say - I did it after work this week; it has great views and makes an ideal evening outing from the fleshpots of Glasgow. It's quite possible to be up and back down inside of 3 hours, even for those of us who aren't so Hardened and Hoary of Beard as your good self :lol: :lol: !
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby smiffysmc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Quite fancy doing thus hill at the weekend. Especially via this route since I stay that side of the rest. Might take me a bit longer though. Ha.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland