walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sheffield Pike

Sheffield Pike

Postby tango » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:21 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Place Fell, Sheffield Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Place Fell, Sheffield Pike

Date walked: 15/12/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at the car park in Patterdale at 0930hrs, along the main road for a wee while, footpath to Side farm then north along the banks of Ullswater, around the area of grid 397172 started to climb upwards, onto the trig point & a cup of tea excellent views from here!!. Off over Patterdale common back down to the village along the main road again to the hotel & headed west Thornhow, up to Lantys tarn. down to the caravan park, & on to the YHA. up the zig zag path & Sheffield Pike,
(There was some sort of dog race going on!!! :shock: never seen anything like it about 20 dogs chasing a scent!!, all over the place & the next day i bumped into 1 down the Borrowdale valley!! different!!!!. must have got lost!!.)
Off the Pike through Glenridding onto the main road & back to the van!finished at 1530 hrs. Going was good, views were excellent all day.the mutts came along as always!!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tango

Re: Sheffield Pike

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Another full day !

Hound trailing seems a bit more common after the hunting ban, but you still see the odd pack chasing a fox.
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Howdy ho, yeah the hounds were chasing a scent!! but the next day 1 was still out doing its own thing!!!, & it was windy & wet that night!!, Also miles from were i had seen them!!!. & Thanks for the info worth its weight in gold, cheers..
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

May have been a hound from different kennels, the stamina & speed of them always amazes me !

I thought Place Fell was a nice hill with great views, not too sure about Sheffield Pike but it was a miserable day (just for a change!) when I was last there.

That road originally closed months ago and caught me out, I presumed it would have been open by now !
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Yeah Place fell had excellent views!! miles & miles! :D .Sheffield pike had good views east but behind me was low cloud front coming in so no views !, Those dogs covered more ground in 20 minutes as I watch them & I do in 2 hours!!.I wish I could run that fast !!! :lol:
tango

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 am

They're supposed to chase an aniseed trail - apparently they love the smell of it - can't imagine that - yuk! They can be a real nuisance though as they're totally oblivious to walkers and Richard got knocked flying into a wall by a hound which couldn't wait and didn't want to share a gateway with him. He was pretty p****d off I can tell you! Still, if they're not chasing foxes, I suppose I can't grumble too much...

You're the only person I know who regularly seems to do two walks in one every time! I love the walk up Sheff from the Glenridding Dodd gap though :D and Lanty's Tarn is a lovely spot :D
mountain coward

Postby tango » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:34 am

Morning Mountain Coward, :D I do 2 walks normally because I drive & take the camper van along way to get there! so too get you monies worth i plan 2 days, I would do more but the van is pretty basic so i tend to stink after 2 days & I'm all hilled out!! :D , thanks for your comments!! Tango.
tango

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:37 pm

When I kip in the car (quite often), I usually go and blag a wash in some disabled toilet somewhere or suchlike... I can be quite crafty and it's amazing the places I've managed to get a wash. If all else fails though, I just go somewhere fairly quiet and get washed in the beck! I was once doing that under a bridge at Mosedale (the one near Mungrisedale) when some people strolled onto the second bridge a few yards away to see the view... they got a bit more than they bargained for! :lol:

Did you find the rake path which goes up that side of Place Fell? I've done half of it but was with my mother and, where it got a bit rockier further up, we decided to turn back. I'd still like to do it though...
mountain coward

Postby tango » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 am

That river you are on about by Mosedale is 1 of my campsites with the camper van, I drive onto the green path park up no problems at all, nice & quite down there.. I'm not sure of the path on Place fell i just followed the map & my nose!!. I was in Wales yesterday. that was hard report to follow!!. :D
tango

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 am

Yeah that wide grass strip by the side of the road at Mosedale is a lovely spot :D I was lying in my car one night watching the moon 'roll along' the top of Souther Fell - great! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland