walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Goat Fell - Mainly Photo Report

Goat Fell - Mainly Photo Report

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 19/08/2007

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk was pretty uneventful apart from a couple of things so I'll just put the basic route we took and a couple of other paragraphs but mainly photos...

On Richard and my first visit to Arran (guessing at the date above), one day I decided to send him off on a recce up Cioch na h' Oighe as I'd been reading about it and looking at it and thought it looked fascinating. We therefore got on the bus in Brodick and I got off at the little village of Corrie for the Corrie track up Goat Fell while Richard continued on another stop or so to Glen Sannox with a verbal description in his head from me (think I had 'the' map :D ). It was a lovely clear and sunny day so I knew a description would suffice...

I followed the road up to where the track continues up the side of waterfalls into the corrie between Goat Fell and Mullach Bhuidhe. From there I continued up the eroded track to the col between North Goatfell and Mullach Bhuidhe and decided I'd go off up the latter to meet Richard.

Corrie col.jpg
Mullach Bhuidhe.jpg

It was a very easy stroll up onto Mullach Bhuidhe and, as I descended the far side to see what the Cioch looked like from above, saw Richard clambering over the last of the little craggy scrambles across the narrow ridge. He looked pretty hot but not particularly 'bothered' and said he'd enjoyed it but didn't think it was for me really... (see my other report written back in Jan 2009 for when I went and did it anyway the next year :D ).

Ciogh na h Oighe&Richard.jpg

We strolled back over the Mullach to the col and up onto North Goatfell - a small (from the col) but very steep peak. It was exceedingly steep getting down off it to the famous Stacach Ridge - the ridge between the two Goatfells with the three large tors astride it.

Stacach ridge.jpg

I swore a bit on the way down onto the ridge, had a look at the tors and decided I didn't fancy them so we split up again. Richard went over the tors, which he thorough enjoyed, while I traversed below them. As far as I know, you can traverse below them either side of the ridge but my side certainly wasn't much fun as it was the Rosa Slabs side and was pretty loose and very steep! I met another guy avoiding the tors coming the other way and he looked even less happy than I did!

Stacach Ridge&people.jpg
North Goatfell on left and Mullach Bhuidhe on right and my traverse on the rubble below!
Stacach Ridge fm N Goatfell ridge.JPG
'My' side
Stacach Ridge - other side.jpg

I eventually met up with Richard as he climbed down off the final tor and I scrabbled up the scree to meet him. There is then an easy clamber up onto Goat Fell proper - a highly popular summit. We had a quick break and admired the stunning views in all directions then had a bit of a disagreement about which ridge to descend. I had my eye on a little ridge which went more or less straight on from the line of the Stacach whereas he just wanted to descend the normal route. I'm not sure why we didn't just split up once more but we didn't and, for once, Richard won the day and we took the normal descent route. I kept looking at my nice ridge and grumbling though!

Goatfell-my ridge.jpg
Goatfell tourist trk.jpg

From there we took the very long, and we thought pretty weary, route back to Brodick which ultimately comes down through the castle grounds.

Goatfell fm cornfield.jpg
Long Walk Back!
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: Goat Fell - Mainly Photo Report

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 am

I followed the route that Richard took when I was over in 2003 - so far the only 'complete' walk I've done on Arran. Sadly we were in the clag at the top of the scrambly section, and didn't see anything else all day. Definitely one to repeat!

Although I like the rock on Arran, and find it really grippy for scrambling, by dad hates the rounded nature of it. I think he went around some of the pinnacles while I went over them.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Goat Fell - Mainly Photo Report

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:19 am

I think maybe that's what put me off the tors on the Stacach - the rock is all very rounded and to me, there weren't enough obvious hand and footholds for me to attempt it. Having said that, Richard isn't a great scrambler (ideas-wise and technique) and often needs guidance and suggestions and he didn't seem to have any problems with it. But the rock is certainly grippy - every time I do any scrambling there, within about 2 days each of my fingertips has a small but very painful cut across it!
mountain coward

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland