walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Marsco

Marsco

Postby canisp » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Route description: Marsco from Sligachan

Fionas included on this walk: Marsco

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ruadh Stac

Date walked: 21/12/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Marsco route description.

Parked at Sligachan bridge on Feb 12 2008. Set off at 7:30 am down Glen Sligachan, the ground frost made walking easy as any normally boggy bits were frozen. The 1st photo shows the distinct profile of Marsco not long after leaving the car. Following the description on walkhighlands.co.uk, i reached the Mam a’ Phobuill at 8:30, crossed the river then up the broad Northeast ridge to join the summit ridge.
Marsco 001.jpg

Most of cuillin laid out before me, a short walk Northwest brought me to the summit at just past 10:00. I usually like to wander round and explore a mountain summit, on Marsco this is not really possible as the summit point is on a sharpish ridge. There is a shallow cairn shelter a few yards Northwest of the summit, a good bivvy site for summer. I sat for 1 hr soaking up the views, then headed down the steep Southeast ridge. As it was early i contoured round, then up to Ruadh Stac. Blaven is really in your face here, unfortunately the sun was behind Blaven and the pictures i took were all flat. On the other hand Sgurr nan Gillean looked superb as the pinnacle ridge stood out, 2rd photo (too far away to get a crisp shot).
Marsco 002.jpg

After a short rest headed Northwest down a rough scree slope to join the path and a 6km walk back to the car. Passing under Marsco its seems there are no ways up or down from this side, it looks all cliffs and crags.
Last edited by canisp on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Marsco

Postby bigbertie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:56 pm

You obviously had great weather in Skye on 12th & 13th Feb - I'm very envious as I was hoping to go North about that time but was busy working on the spring water supply which our small community relies on. I've never done Mhadaidh & Ghreadaidh, nor Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, all of which need dry weather & visibility - ah well, one day.
bigbertie

Postby canisp » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am

I decided to do Marsco on the spur of the moment at 3:00 am, as i was lying in my sleeping bag, in my car, at the end of the Glen Nevis road. There was no wind ,no cloud, it was below zero and the stars were shining brightly, all the signs for a good day. I got moving about 3:30 am, and had a first breakfast at Fort William petrol station, and a second at Broadford petrol station 2 hours later. An early start and the weather stayed fine, i could not ask for more. :D

Your day will come.

Sunset over Skye.jpg
canisp

Postby canisp » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 pm

I’ve recently worked out how to post photo’s using a host site, so can now add a few photo’s from
my trip to Marsco in February this year.

Marsco at dawn

Sgurr Mhairi left of centre, with Beinn Dearg Mhor the pointy peak, from the summit ridge of Marsco

The summit ridge of Marsco

Sgurr nan Gillean from Marsco’s summit

Sgurr Mhairi left of centre, with Beinn Dearg Mhor the pointy peak, from the summit of Marsco

Looking southeast from 510250 to Garbh Beinn and Bla Bheinn

Sgurr nan Gillean and Marsco

Left to Right Garbh Beinn, Clach Glas and Bla Bheinn

Looking back to Marsco

Sgurr nan Gillean

Sgurr nan Gillean and Marsco

Sgurr nan Gillean from Ruadh Stac

Sgurr nan Gillean and the summit cairn of Ruadh Stac

Garbh Beinn behind the summit cairn of Ruadh Stac

Bla Bheinn

Clach Glas and Bla Bheinn

Marsco from near the summit of Ruadh Stac

Looking back to Ruadh Stac

Marsco from Glen Sligachan

Sun behind Sgurr nan Gillean

After sunset, looking back to Skye from the mainland

After sunset, looking back to Skye from the mainland

canisp

Postby wandererjon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:02 am

Wow!! Those pictures are absolutely amazing, Canisp!! Because I don't walk at very high levels it's like seeing the Cuillins, and Skye, from a whole new angle. Sure, I've looked at all the "standard" views- but these are something else, how I envy you people who can tolerate great heights!!! Thankyou for sharing them with us!!
wandererjon

Munros:4   
Fionas:12   
Hewitts:15

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Fantastic photos - thank you!

Really must get over and try some of these hills...
Myth

Postby bigbertie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:54 am

yes, stunning - you've raised the standard now!
bigbertie

Postby martyn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Wow!
Those photos have prompted me put Marsco on my "to do" list for next week - clear visibility permitting.
Those views over towards Gillean look astounding.
Martyn
martyn
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland