walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chritmas on Ben Macdui

Chritmas on Ben Macdui

by mountaineagle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 am

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 24/12/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Chritmas on Ben Macdui

Postby kevsbald » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 am

V impressive but there is no way I'd be allowed on a hill o'night on Xmas Eve so this is pure fantasy for me.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Frasmck » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:32 pm

mountaineagle wrote:I already had my christmas so it was just another day for me. Why Ben Macdui ? Well I was not fixed on doing any hill, but it was down to Kinley after comment "Rubbing it in" so I thought to rub it in a bit more for I know he enjoys camping there. :D :wink: Sorry Kinley :lol: :lol:

Commendable as it may appear it does give me a bit of concern though.

Kinley does do summit camps in order to take sunset, night and sunrise pictures which he does very well. He does them well by careful weather watching in order to have good conditions on the summits.

To park yourself on top of The UKs most inhospitable place in bad weather for the sake of out doing someones TRs does come across as foolhardy.

Glad to hear you got down alright but had conditions deteriorated further to some of the wind speeds its so famous for you may of ended up getting a lot more attention than you hoped for.
Frasmck
Mountain Walker

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Frasmck wrote:
mountaineagle wrote:I already had my christmas so it was just another day for me. Why Ben Macdui ? Well I was not fixed on doing any hill, but it was down to Kinley after comment "Rubbing it in" so I thought to rub it in a bit more for I know he enjoys camping there. :D :wink: Sorry Kinley :lol: :lol:

Kinley does do summit camps in order to take sunset, night and sunrise pictures which he does very well. He does them well by careful weather watching in order to have good conditions on the summits.

To park yourself on top of The UKs most inhospitable place in bad weather for the sake of out doing someones TRs does come across as foolhardy.

Glad to hear you got down alright but had conditions deteriorated further to some of the wind speeds its so famous for you may of ended up getting a lot more attention than you hoped for.

First of all, my comment to do with Kinley, is only a bit of fun... I have a lot of time for Kinley and Hazel, and respect them both.

Secondly, I might came across as been foolhardy, but I was well inside my confort zone..... I know most won't be. If however the conditions did deteriorat to a point that I am not going to achive what I set out to do, then I would simple turn back or do an inventive plan.

However there is a few who do go out on the hills and conditiions, well past thier capabilities and there has been few times where I have come across them out on the hills.

I hope that no one is thinking because I'm able to handle these conditions, that it is okay for them to go out and try it. My skills can not be learned over night, I've had many years of experience which allows me to go out on my own and carry the equipment I might or could need. That why if I'm doing a over nighter, my pack in winter conditions weighs around 70lbs. So a good fitness level is needed.
mountaineagle

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:16 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Had a feeling you might start off your WH trip reports with something extreme! Good work - impressive stuff getting to Macdui and getting the tent up. I think those things on their own would be difficult enough 8)

I'd love to be able to do this sort of thing over christmas, although I doubt I'd go for something so epic. I've just been reading 'Cairngorm John' over the holidays too, so this was very timely.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby monty » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi Mountaineagle,
Top report. Almost unbelievable but then after talking to you in Glencoe Its the least i would expect :D That must have been exhilarating and incredibly scary at the same time on day one in the white out. Kinley eat your heart out :lol: :lol: Mind you I bet Kinley has a bigger photo album than you :lol:

I doff my cap to your Biathlon in Bavaria. :clap: Respect
monty

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:52 pm

malky_c wrote:I've just been reading 'Cairngorm John' over the holidays

malky, haven't read "Cairngorm John", is it any good? I'm getting a few books together to read till I come back at the end of the year.
mountaineagle

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm

I recently finished Cairngorm John- thought it was great. Fantastic insight into the incidents dealt with by MRT and the culture in the organisation, where it's came from, issues past, present and future. I also love the Cairngorms and it's the place I'm most familiar with which made the book particularly interesting.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:29 pm

mountaineagle wrote:

malky, haven't read "Cairngorm John", is it any good? I'm getting a few books together to read till I come back at the end of the year.

Definitely worth it, as HighlandSC says. It certainly had me thinking that I could do with another whiteout on the Cairngorm plateau - good test of skills 8)

Some interesting anecdotes about various people coming unstuck too :shock:
malky_c

Postby sloosh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 pm

This is one of my favourite photos ever. Makes me laugh every time I look at it. :D :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spotted the stocking first time round but missed the fairy lights!
malky_c

Postby kinley » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 pm

:D

Cracking TR Will 8)

Looks like you got a nice morning too :)

Gnarly looking night though :shock: Nutter :lol:

Sort of jealous.....but not very :lol: ;)

Cheers - hope you have a Prosperous and healthy New Year :D
kinley

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:24 pm

malky_c wrote:
mountaineagle wrote:

Definitely worth it, as HighlandSC says. It certainly had me thinking that I could do with another whiteout on the Cairngorm plateau - good test of skills 8)

Some interesting anecdotes about various people coming unstuck too :shock:

Cheers, :D

I will get it, should be a interesting read then.
mountaineagle

Postby Frasmck » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:24 pm

mountaineagle wrote:
Frasmck wrote:

First of all, my comment to do with Kinley, is only a bit of fun... I have a lot of time for Kinley and Hazel, and respect them both.

Secondly, I might came across as been foolhardy, but I was well inside my confort zone..... I know most won't be. If however the conditions did deteriorat to a point that I am not going to achive what I set out to do, then I would simple turn back or do an inventive plan.

However there is a few who do go out on the hills and conditiions, well past thier capabilities and there has been few times where I have come across them out on the hills.

I hope that no one is thinking because I'm able to handle these conditions, that it is okay for them to go out and try it. My skills can not be learned over night, I've had many years of experience which allows me to go out on my own and carry the equipment I might or could need. That why if I'm doing a over nighter, my pack in winter conditions weighs around 70lbs. So a good fitness level is needed.

I do think your right in saying only expert extreme weather people like you should try this but would it not make more sense to dig yourself in? This place should be treated with respect its due as you already know.

To bail out when things get bad how do you expect to do this in 100mph + winds and exceeding.(In a tent!) I sat at the Christmas table and listened to an old guy doing a Cairngorm rescue in the 60s who told me even after they got back at 4am (Before RT) how these people were so unthankful because they thought they were in control. It was different the next day when they learned one of the party lost several toes.

I always think experience comes from when you see things go pear shape. It wasnt that long ago 2 lads died just ten minutes from the cairngorm carpark. They were bailing out and it was an experience to late.
Frasmck
Mountain Walker

Postby mountaineagle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am

Frasmck wrote:I do think your right in saying only expert extreme weather people like you should try this but would it not make more sense to dig yourself in? This place should be treated with respect its due as you already know.

To bail out when things get bad how do you expect to do this in 100mph + winds and exceeding.(In a tent!) I sat at the Christmas table and listened to an old guy doing a Cairngorm rescue in the 60s who told me even after they got back at 4am (Before RT) how these people were so unthankful because they thought they were in control. It was different the next day when they learned one of the party lost several toes.

I always think experience comes from when you see things go pear shape. It wasnt that long ago 2 lads died just ten minutes from the cairngorm carpark. They were bailing out and it was an experience to late.

Experience from seeing things going pear shape is one way to learning and for some would be the best way. However there is a few other ways that someone can learn, “but hopefully not the hard way” like the two lads that died. Never good to hear.

I have come across people like the ones the old guy was talking about, many times. One that comes to mind from last year; was a chap that I came across. After asking a few questions, it was easy to see that he didn’t have much experience or an idea and didn’t want to listen to advice. There’s not much more you can do, you can’t stop them carrying on.

I do enjoy the debate Fraser and maybe one day, we can sit down and talk over a few beers. I’ve always liked and have time for people like the old guy you listened to at the Christmas table, for you can always pick up a bit of knowledge from his experience. The big thing is to listen, and where you don’t understand then ask.
mountaineagle

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 am

Good to see some sensible debate here.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland