walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Tarmachan

Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby Bruadair » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 31/12/2010

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's my anniversary today and funily enough it's also the misses's, so last night she suggested I go for a walk today ....what a result!!! so without showing too much emotion I said I would see in the morning, and duely set my alarm for 5.00am (well it was after 1.00am when I went to bed so technically it was morning)...... if this was a tester I guess I failed.
I had checked MWIS for forecasts and SE hills were coming out best, so I desided on a run up to Lawers with Meall nan Tarmachan my objective. So I left home this morning at approx' 6.30am, and as I headed up the M9...I recalled there was some snow in Perthshire the other day, so wasn't sure what I would be facing and as I drove along A84 through Callander the snow was about 30 feet deep at the side of the road (maybe not that deep).....Loch Lubnaig was frozen solid, and in Strathyre the cars were parked in sort of little snow garages and in Killin, the falls were frozen..... getting the picture!!!!
As I turned off the A827 onto the track upto Ben Lawers etc... it was covered in snow ice...... I have a Vectra Estate and it is hopeless on a slippy road.....it skids if I have a cold, so my first thought was I'm not going to make it up the hill followed by I'll end up off the road and stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere (without a phone signal)......but pleased to report I made it to the parking area assosiated with Meall nan Tarmachan and suited up for the walk.
PICT0001.JPG
From carpark area
Last week I invested in a Satmap which arrived Wednesday PM, so didn't have time to read instructions properly before today, and just about worked out how to plot a route on a map....... I tried to plot the normal track, but my markers were not 100% accurate and I missed the start of the track by maybe about 30 metres (before at.. N56*30.858 - W4*16.310) and set off up hill initially following trail of someone who had made similar mistake before catching track again at approx...(N56*30.644 - W4*17.187)

As you'd expect, there had been a fair amount of snow had fallen on slopes and going was tough at times where I had wandered into thigh deep patches.
PICT0002.JPG
Looking East towards carpark area with dam at Lochan na Lairige on left
PICT0004.JPG
Looking further East out over a partially frozen Loch Tay
PICT0005.JPG
Progressing.. photo taken at approx' (N56*31.149 - W4*17.852)...I'm sure many will recognise this climb
Well into the clouds and the wind was really getting up and stinging my face (blew my hat off at one point) and I really had to lean into it in some areas to stay upright.
PICT0007.JPG
Almost there photo taken from approx (N56*31.208 - W4*17.942) summit ridge now in sight (almost)
As I edged towards the summit the ridges on my left as I looked up were overhanging with snow and my GPS was telling me zero distance to go but elevation of 17 metres, so I was more or less below summit crag. Fortunately there were footprints still visible from earlier walks, so followed on and eventually found the crag.
PICT0009.JPG
Made it...but didn't hand around long due to strength of wind
PICT0010.JPG
Meall Garbh...I believe, having a peak through the cloud...

OK that done........it's off back down out the wind for the traditional warm cuppa.
PICT0014.JPG
One last shot coming off the hill....to the south
The desent was a quick one with a few tumbles on the way as one or other of my legs dissappeared down a hole and threw me off balance. All in all it was good to get back out..... it was tough going in places but thoroughly enjoyed my first real winter walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sorry about the photo's but too much cloud cover along with high winds, kept the camera tucked up in it's pouch.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:58 pm

Brrrrr! those look cold! What an understanding missus! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Bruadair » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:24 am

mountain coward wrote:Brrrrr! those look cold! What an understanding missus! :lol:

It was bitter...when I got back to the car I had a face like a skelped RS with wind burn and yes she has her moments or maybe she just wanted shot of me for the day.
Happy New Year.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant!!!!!!
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Bruadair » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 am

Merry-walker wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant!!!!!!

Thanks MW.
Happy New Year
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby doogz » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:40 am

You must have passed my car a silver primera estate......about 500 m from visitor centre car park.....we got there and nearing the last few metres to the parking area my car was slipping on the sheet ice ...we could not walk on the road at all when we finally got our boots on after reversing or sliding all the way back to then try to 3 point turn :lol:

Only one car had made it at that point and the 3 boys were coming off beinn galas as we ascended

Wind was vile today ...pics and report on """other site""

We battled the wind for the whole time and the last 20m there was not a breath of wind at the summit cairn yet we could hear thunder like raging wind below us .....surreal

So strange that most of the ice had melted while we were on hill

You can change the settings on your map to os gr refs can you not?
doogz

Postby Bruadair » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:04 am

doogz wrote:You must have passed my car a silver primera estate......about 500 m from visitor centre car park.....we got there and nearing the last few metres to the parking area my car was slipping on the sheet ice ...we could not walk on the road at all when we finally got our boots on after reversing or sliding all the way back to then try to 3 point turn :lol:

Only one car had made it at that point and the 3 boys were coming off beinn galas as we ascended

Wind was vile today ...pics and report on """other site""

We battled the wind for the whole time and the last 20m there was not a breath of wind at the summit cairn yet we could hear thunder like raging wind below us .....surreal

So strange that most of the ice had melted while we were on hill

You can change the settings on your map to os gr refs can you not?

Sorry can't say I noticed your car.....was probably too busy concentrating on what mine was going to do and really surprised it made it up to parking area.....I did notice one car in NT carpark as I drove past.....eh! I'll cross a Primera off option for next car.

Wind was a shocker....at one point when I took my backpack off to the crampons out, I had a fight with the wind to get it back on, and it was as quick as I could get off summit of Tarmachan as I struggled to stand still in wind long enough to take photo. The ice fairly shifted hadn't it......it was like a different route completely.

With regard to changing settings.....I think your right, but haven't worked that one out yet......I need to print off copy of user guide and read it properly, but I was well impressed with Satmap on what I had managed to work out.

Happy New Year!
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Great to see what it looks like in winter - I was up that way in October and it's completely different as well as looking perishingly cold in your photos ! :D
Bruadair wrote:I have a Vectra Estate and it is hopeless on a slippy road
having had one of these in the dim and distant past, I'd fully agree :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland