walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short walk on the WHW at the end of 2010 & sales shopping

A short walk on the WHW at the end of 2010 & sales shopping

by walk aboot » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Date walked: 30/12/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A short walk on the WHW at the end of 2010 & sales shopping

Postby chrisoff » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 am

walk aboot wrote:Top tip: My mate's son worked in a chippy after school and he says you can deep fry Maltesers too BUT you have to mix a lighter/wetter batter to make it stick :thumbup: .

The shop we used to go to (the Haven, now the Carron in Stoney) tried loads of different sweets after the mars bar caught on. I remember a deep fried crunchie was pretty cool. The honeycomb melted then went hard again once you bit into it and the air cooled it.

One of the branches of The Ashvale in Aberdeen once offered a deep fried easter egg.

I'll eat most things but I still haven't tried a deep fried pizza!
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby mountainstar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Good to see you back writing your amusing trip reports :D
The picture of you shopping caught you on a good day I see! :lol: :wink:
That lunch looks like an operation gone wrong! (could be mine after my last comment :? :wtf:)
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Yup, I thought I was looking pretty dapper that day, if I do say so myself :lol: .

Um, maybe I've got the Maltesers recipe wrong, could be a thicker batter to make it stick :think: . I'll have to check with my mate's son...deep fried sweeties are not my speciality :? :lol: .

Wonder if you can come up with a posh description for a pizza crunch, chrisoff? :D :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby chrisoff » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 pm

walk aboot wrote:Wonder if you can come up with a posh description for a pizza crunch, chrisoff? :D :lol:

How about "Pizza margherita e fritti"
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby snodland » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello Walk Aboot
And a Happy New Year to you. Am disapointed I couldn't join your stroll up the WHW.
I have circulated your photo of the fine scottish cuisine to many of my friends as in all my 21 years in Scotland I had told them it was an urban myth about Mars Bars being deep fried up here. I am now having to eat humble pie......fortunately my local chippy has said they will deep fry that for me as well.

In my experience the Beech Tree Inn has always charged West End Prices. Perhaps becasue it is at that bit when many West Highland Wayers are already thinking of chucking it in, having a pint and going home (claiming "but I will do it next year when I have got over this (non-existant)injury") - I even know 2 people from a group of 4 who only made it as far as the Carbeth Huts before claiming their boots were hurting and they would need to get the bus back!
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

:lol: :thumbup: @ chrisoff

Hi Andy, Happy New Year to you too :D . Was a shame you missed the walk, was just a catch up after Xmas really :) .

Yup, think you're right, the Beech Tree Inn is the first food stop after leaving Milngavie.

See you soon :) .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland