walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corse Hill, Whitelee Wind Farm

Corse Hill, Whitelee Wind Farm

Postby Franklin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:15 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corse Hill

Date walked: 06/01/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On a beautiful winters day with hardly any wind and not a cloud in the sky I started off at Whitelee Wind Farm visitor centre intending to walk to Corse Hill. As previously stated there are many paths and many ways to reach Corse Hill. Starting from the visitor centre (closed until end of February) is probably one of the longest but it was a lovely day - so why not.

After reading all the warnings of ice falling from turning blades I headed off down the track, turning right at the end and down on to the spline road where you turn left. You then follow this until reaching Myres Road. See the photograph of the information point.

P1010243.JPG
Apparently I am here

At this point I turned onto Myres Road and headed up and over Crook Hill and then Drumduff Hill. After Drumduff Hill I turned right (after turbine number 89) it is only once you reach the top of the next rise that you can See Corse Hill in the distance.

P1010247.JPG
Corse Hill

As you can see from the footprints, this photograph was taken on my way back and it wasn't very busy :)

Once you get to the end of the track in the above photograph you turn left and are back on the Spline Road. Corse Hill summit is about 20 metres from turbine number 104 a short walk up the hill.

P1010244.JPG
From Corse Hill looking West back towards Start Point

On this day the views were amazing with the snow topped peaks of Arran clearly visible (but not from my photo :( ).

I retraced my steps back to the visitor centre. I did not use a GPS or tracker and the map I had did not have the tracks that have been constructed as part of the Whitelee Firm therefore the distance of 26km is a bit of an estimate. The walk took me around 5 -5.5 hours. Forgot to look at my watch when I left :(

If doing this again I would consider an approach from another side to cut down on the distance. An approach from Eaglesham would be my next choice. But the visitor centre (if open) is quite interesting and does an excellent soup!
Last edited by Franklin on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Mountain Walker

Munros:62   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Corse Hill, Whitelee Wind Farm

Postby iainwatson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:30 am

might give this a go as i live in eaglesham,been up and cycled round alot of it with my son-the size and speed of the blades is quite something :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby yorkie bagger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 am

Like that! :thumbup: There's a nice wind farm in the Lakes you can go around - I found it fascinating to get up close like that :D
yorkie bagger

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Like iainwatson I've also cycled round up there with the kids and I think they had plans to put in car parking over at the Eaglesham end.

iain - I live quite close to you.....if you're ever looking for a walking partner and our hills and plans coincide, please give me a shout via PM (although I'd never be fit or fast enough to do the three peaks) :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Franklin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes guys I think I might get the bike out next time I'm up here. Rockhopper thanks for the offer. I'll PM you when I'm planning my next trip and we'll see if we can meet up. Thanks - Iain
Franklin
Mountain Walker

Munros:62   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:05 am

what a coincidence :lol: Franklin - the iain to whom I was referring was actually iainwatson as he said he lives in Eaglesham. I hadn't realised your name was also Iain but I've looked at your record and see you're also in Glasgow as well :D Happy to PM when planning next routes - I've got a few ideas but guess it'll depend on who's done what etc. cheers :D
rockhopper

Postby monty » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:39 am

More energy was wasted in the desecration of this hill with this windfarm than will ever be produced in many lifetimes by this windfarm. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 am

aye monty, it was following an afternoon of mountain biking through the old tracks in whitelee forest late in 2003 that I got my first gps so as not to get lost in the myriad of trails - it's not the same now as most of the trees are gone
rockhopper

Postby monty » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Well if there are some trees left then there wont be soon, the Spanish company have been paid to build another 70 Turbines in this area by 2012. In March this year a blade fell off so I don't think its an area I will be walking/cycling along.
monty

Postby iainwatson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:17 pm

rockhopper wrote:Like iainwatson I've also cycled round up there with the kids and I think they had plans to put in car parking over at the Eaglesham end.

iain - I live quite close to you.....if you're ever looking for a walking partner and our hills and plans coincide, please give me a shout via PM (although I'd never be fit or fast enough to do the three peaks) :D

no probs,hopefully getting back in to the swing of things and get out every week from now on in(fingers crossed) i've never walked in this month of the year but i dont intend on letting the weather or road conditions stop me,travelled 3hrs 45 mins yesterday :shock: to go up Meall Buidhe and it was superb!
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland