walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum

Ben Challum

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 06/01/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1050m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first 'walk diary' :)

Ben Challum, my 65th munro. They've become something of an addiction since moving to Scotland a year or so ago. I've always loved the outdoors and it doesn't get any better than today... Fresh snowfall had transformed what could otherwise have been a boggy slog into a crisp white winter wonderland.

Gaining height the view behind towards the Tyndrum Hills was stunning...
Ben Challum 1.jpg
The view over the shoulder of the Tyndrum Hills

There's a brief respite of relatively flat ground where you get your first view of the southern, and to a lesser extent the northern summit. The only tracks in the snow are those of the dogs; and this is where it started to get quite deep, thigh deep in many places, and the climb to the south summit was a tiring one!
Ben Challum 2.jpg
The first sight of the south and north summits of Ben Challum

Finally, after a long slog / wade through the snow the southern top is reached with a gorgeous view to the northern summit.
Ben Challum 3.jpg
The view to the North Summit from the south summit

And after a short but fun ridge walk the summit is reached, number 65, and a memorable one :)
Ben Challum 4.jpg
Me on the summit of Ben Challum

The descent was much easier and I half fell / half slid pretty much all the way back in around an hour. The stats of the walk from 'My Tracks' by google on my HTC Phone...
Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 18.30.46.png
My Tracks...

Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 18.31.20.png
My Tracks, the stats...

After the walk and a refreshing hard earnt pint the light becomes to die for and it's time to indulge in my photographic passions with a real camera which slightly beats the camera phone!

Scotlands' 16th and 18th highest mountains of Ben More and Stob Binnein to the left of the image dominate the skyline above Crianlarich in Perthshire, Scotland. Cruach Ardrain lies off to the right of the picture; in the summer months all of these hills and one more behind were a single days outing for Whiskey (my chocolate labrador) and I; some 30 km including over 8,000 feet of ascent. No chance at this time of year though where the daylight hours are too short for such an adventure. Whispers of mist and cloud line the valley, and they, together with the mountain summits, turn pink with the setting sun...
20110107 - 1522 - Crianlarich - 3x1 - B.jpg
The Crianlarich Hills at sunset in fresh snow...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Ben Challum

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm

What a difference 4 days make ! I was up Ben Challum last Sunday - very icy and hardly any snow. You certainly got great weather and snow for some nice pictures. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks Rockhopper; certainly changed a bit over the few days! Was lucky with the snow and the weather. Day was gorgeous; I need to get a snap happy camera for the mountains; the phone isn't great; and my Canon Gear is too big to be taking up unless I'm on a specific photography mission...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:us; I need to get a snap happy camera for the mountains; the phone isn't great; and my Canon Gear is too big to be taking up unless I'm on a specific photography mission...
aye, there is quite a difference between the photos in your report and your website :lol: and there are some crackers on your website :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

rockhopper wrote:there are some crackers on your website :D

:D Thank you - hope you enjoyed browsing through; photography has been a new venture over the last couple of years or so. I'll take any excuse to as you Scots put it 'get oot and aboot' :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Love the picture of the frosted up fence. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland