walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a Bheithir via the north ridge.

Beinn a Bheithir via the north ridge.

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:21 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 08/01/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1321m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 8TH January 2011
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear, sunny, mainly blue skies, good visibility
Time. 6.5hrs
Distance. 13 km
Ascent. 1321 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 2
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

our route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sgorr Dhonuill and Sgorr Dhearg

Starting from.

Car park at South Ballachulish

I have been thinking about doing Beinn a Bheithir for quite sometime now. Two Munros separated by a col, this looked like a fairly easy day out on a cracking ridge.

Every time I looked at the route I was put off with at vast forest area that circled car park. For some reason I thought this could cause major problems in reaching the hills and bigger problems at the days end when trying to get back to the car park.

I have never came across a report of attacking Beinn a Bheithir from its north ridge. Looking at the os map, this looked like the best way to go. Gain height quickly, should get nice views of the NE ridge, Views to Sgorr Dhonuill and the snow on the ridge should be well frosted in area’s to allow good progress.

Leaving the car park we headed up the track south, crossed a small bridge then followed the track north to NN 050 586, then after turning round the bend in the track we made our way up to the North ridge. Was a bit of a struggle getting through the young forest and all the snow covered tree stumps that was left from past felling. After some time the going got much easier and the ridge was reached. 2.5 km south was Sgorr Dhearg, between Sgorr Dhearg and us was the ridge that we were going to savour and enjoy.

Sadly once on the ridge the clouds came down and the views for a while were rather poor. But when we reached about 800m you could see the sun trying its best to burn through and burn through it did. This was what we were hoping for. Never got a chance to see Sgorr Bhan 904m top as the cloud never shifted from that side, but the surrounding views over to Sgorr Dhonuill and beyond were fine to say the least.

DSC00479.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill

DSC00480.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill from nearing the north ridge

DSC00481.JPG
Sgorr na-h eanchainne 731m

DSC00482.JPG
The pap of glencoe

DSC00483.JPG
Wilson on the north ridge

DSC00487.JPG
The north ridge we ascended

Very soon after the sun burned through we were summating Sgorr Dhearg. Although it was very cold, with a chilli wind the conditions were superb.

We decided to have some hot soup at the col, no shelter was to be found, but once we had dropped in height down to the col we managed to re-fuel up in relative comfort.

DSC00485.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill

DSC00486.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill

DSC00489.JPG
Julie and wilson on Sgorr Dhearg summit

DSC00491.JPG
views

We decided to fit our crampons at the col prior to the ascent of Sgorr Dhonuill. This was a must on the steeper ground, there had been a fresh 1” 2” dump of snow recently on top of the compact snow underneath. The crampons coped admirably and we ascended the corniced ridge with no problems.

There was a real narrow part nearing the summit with steep areas throwing in just to make it that bit more interesting. Extra care was taken around this area. We just concentrated on our foot placement and tried to remember ourselves that we were wearing crampons. A slip here could easily have turned into a fall with devastating results.

I summated first with Wilson and Julie just moments behind. I think we were both on a high after that last part. We were probably slightly drained mentally with the extra concentration.

DSC00490.JPG
Julie climbing from the col Sgorr Dhearg behind.

DSC00495.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill ridge

DSC00496.JPG
nearing the tricky bitty.

DSC00497.JPG
Wilson summating sgorr Dhonuill

DSC00498.JPG
Heading for the summit

DSC00499.JPG
Loch Linnhe

DSC00501.JPG
Looking to Sgorr Dhearg. Bidean nam Bian and co behind

DSC00500.JPG
Wilson again

This was a step up for us in the winter walking stakes, there were times when heading up the north ridge we thought this is the real deal, this is for real, this is our kind of winter walking. And when we started ascending Sgorr Dhonuill the excitement just got greater. That ridge in winter conditions was truly amazing.

We descended back to the col with extra care. We then dropped down to the north heading for the woods. We ( I ) did get lost ever so slightly in the woods. It was a right fight trying to battle our way out but we did and soon we reached the track that would lead us back the car.

PS…. Give the north ridge ago, it will be well worth it.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Beinn a Bheithir via the north ridge.

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 am

Excellent report and couldn't have been posted at a better time, as they are hopefully my next two Munros in the next couple of weeks - the conditions look superb.....cheers :thumbup:
Last edited by Glenrothes on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenrothes

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 am

lovely report dave and some great detail - these two are in my plans (hopefully) for this year and your report will be very useful although I think it'll be after winter for me :thumbup: wilson seems to be enjoying himself as usual :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby yorkie bagger » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:37 am

I'm planning on doing the North Ridge sometime as I haven't yet done Sgurr Ban and would like to. It looks okay from your photos - presumably there are no difficulties on it?

Great photos
yorkie bagger

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Cracking report once again Dave.. great shots of the swirling mist on the ridge.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Did wilson put his crampons on :lol:

Fantastic report with stunning pictures.

Never thought of doing this from the North (did it the normal route), looks a fab challenge.

Love the fact the adrenalin was kicking in hard as you reached those scary bits :)

Glad you all got home safely.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Crackin' report & looks like a super route.

ps how many Munros has Wilson done? Perhaps he should have his own logon so we can track how he's doing :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby monty » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Davetherave,
Great report. Lovely pictures. Does wilson seem a bit bored in the last picture. I think he is saying "can we get a move on" :lol: :lol: :lol:

We done this at the Glencoe meet following the walkhighlands route. I remember a huge drop into Coire Sgreamhach on the descent from Sgorr Dhonuill so I imagine that would be more treacherous in the snow.

I am not keen on forests either so thats an interesting route you choose. well done :D
monty

Postby kinley » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Cracking stuff Dave - one of my favourite hills 8)

Smashing atmosheric pics too.

We used the N ridge for a descent on our last trip. It's an excellent ridge 8)
kinley

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Nice report. Cheers :)
foggieclimber

Postby blanchie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:18 am

yorkie bagger wrote:I'm planning on doing the North Ridge sometime as I haven't yet done Sgurr Ban and would like to. It looks okay from your photos - presumably there are no difficulties on it?

Great photos

Its a bit of a pain getting out of the cropped woods on the west side, but certainly avoid the woods above the Old Rectory. They are awful!

To avoid tree stumps and ditches, park up by the school and pick up a path through a field up to Bheinn Bhan, up to Sgorr Bhan and then do the munros. Slightly more exhilarating is to walk up the glen from the school and ascend the west spur, but the path would be tricky in the snow.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland