walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gulvain. One to go!

Gulvain. One to go!

Postby IainG » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Route description: Gulvain, near Kinlocheil

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Date walked: 21/06/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a very long and hard journey. Finally we've only one Munro left to complete to become a 'Compleator'!!!

The 283rd Munro was one we'd been leaving due to it's remoteness and solitary status. Gulvain has a reputation as being a relentless and steep slog, but it turned out to be a fine walk even in cloudy, claggy conditions.

My legs were getting worn out over the last few weeks. All the hills or groups of hills were being swept up in preparation for the final, and 284th, Munro. We'd recently done the three at the N of the Glen Affric YH, Seana Bhraigh, Maoile Lunndaidh, and a few other huge trips.

We arrived at the start of this one in cloudy, claggy weather. Perfect for the midges and they were out in force. Quickly sorted, bags on, and we were off. The initial part of the walk is a pleasant stroll along a good track through Gleann Fionnlighe.

Pleasant, but soon degenrates into a bumpy affair close to the end of the forest. From here we got first view of the elusive Gulvain. A fine looking hill.

The slope up to the 855m top isn't really as bad as it's made out. It's not that steep and there's a good path zigzaging most of the way. This was the view back down the glen from the slopes.

Shortly after the 855m top, we entered the cloud. 20m visibility and no views. We soon reached the next point, the 961m top with the old trig point.

With no views, but in light wind, we headed along the ridge to the large summit cairn. The ridge narrowed quite a bit, but good paths made for easy going.

We retraced our step back to the 961m top. Descending, we came through the cloudbase to some nice views east.

Finally, we reached the 855m top and descended back into the glen. This was a fine walk.

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Gulvain. One to go!

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Nice one Ian when the finnal one planed for then ? :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby IainG » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Cheers!

Being a fair weather walker :? , it'll be when the sun is next forecast to be splitting trees. Could be a while maybe! :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Iain - hope you'll let us know where you'll be compleating for WH - I'll bring the champers.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby kinley » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Hmmm...why do I suspect that Beinn na Lap will witness some drunkenness, debauchery and,doubtless, nakedness sometime soon :lol:
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 am

I liked Gulvain too - not boring as some make out, well not to me anyway. What is your last Munro to be?
mountain coward

Postby IainG » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:42 am

The last munro, funny old thing, is the reputed easiest of them all, Beinn na Lap. Easy in terms of the effort on the ground, a bit hard logistically. It involves a train journey to Corrour and a close watch at the time for getting the train back out.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby bigbertie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:28 am

You can wait for the train in the station house (tea room) while having a bottle of Corrour Gold. I hope Ben na Lap isn't too crowded with other compleators!!! Good Luck.
bigbertie

Postby Alan S » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:35 pm

well done iain look forward to your next report
a fair weather walker :think: how did you ever manage the other 283 :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby goth_angel » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

kinley wrote:Hmmm...why do I suspect that Beinn na Lap will witness some drunkenness, debauchery and,doubtless, nakedness sometime soon :lol:

I wonder?! ;)

All the best Iain for the impending compleation. Hope you get a great day for it. :D
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland