walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wainwright Bagging-Part 1

Wainwright Bagging-Part 1

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey, Black Fell, Gowbarrow Fell, Latrigg

Date walked: 27/04/2010

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone, been to The Lakes for a spell and despite one very wet day was able to add to my Wainwright count with my husband :D This is the first part:
Black Crag or Fell
Situated in the Southern Fells just north of Coniston.

black crag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked down near the road to Coniston although there is a car park near to Tarn Hows, very busy on a lovely day as we skirted the tarn.
IMG_3458.jpg
Weatherlam and Holme Fell
Once we left to climb to the fell the crowds disappeared.
IMG_3493.jpg
Looking to Tarn Hows

For such a low summit the views of the surrounding peaks was awesome, from the Coniston fells and Langdales all the way round to Helm Crag and Fairfield, still it was summit photo time and my 50th Wainwright :D
IMG_3485.jpg
50th Wainwright

Black Crag has two tops so it was over to the cairn.
IMG_3512.jpg
Alternate top
IMG_3477.jpg
View to Langdales

Lovely walk on a warm day, time for an ice lolly on return, 5.8 miles

Latrigg
An early start and a quick walk up Latrigg, splendid views for so little effort
IMG_3525.jpg
Catbells,Hindscarth,Robinson,Rowling End
IMG_3531.jpg
Causey Pike over Keswick
IMG_3534.jpg
Sprawl of Keswick
IMG_3543.jpg
Looking back to Skiddaw
IMG_3545.jpg
Looking down Borrowdale, Castle Crag
IMG_3551.jpg
Yours truly

Binsey
Then it was back in the car and a drive north to climb Binsey, we parked near to Binsey Cottage and a stile has been added to avoid the old sheep pens. This was a grassy trudge but showed the northern end of the fells.
IMG_3565.jpg
Summit of Binsey

Gowbarrow Fell
After a walk around Keswick we then drove to the National Trust car park at Aira Force and our route to Gowbarrow Fell.

gowbarrow.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Again some lovely views opened up for me.
IMG_3589.jpg
Great views
IMG_3602.jpg
Summit photo
IMG_3617.jpg
A lovely day to be on the hills
Last edited by susanmyatt on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Wainwright Bagging-Part 1

Postby 37lumleyst » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Sue – what a cracking set of pictures. I particularly like the ones around Keswick and looking into Borrowdale. It looks like you had a good time, I’m looking forwards to part 2 of your trip.

Congratulations on the 50th Wainwright, knowing you though, it wont be long before 50 is just a distant memory :lol:
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 am

Black Fell, although small, was one of my favourites - I used to work at a riding stables just below it at Sunnybrow Farm (and drink the alcoholic owner's half-bottle of whisky every day!;-) Really pretty place. Great to see some Lakes photos - I'm missing it after my continual Scottish trips this year. Anyway, now the midge season has hit, I'm due back in the Lakes soon:-) Really enjoyed those pics...
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi,thanks for the comments, they soon mount up, I'm on 61 now :lol:
Loved Black Crag but the bad news MC is that the midges are in the Lakes, my next instalment is the day we did the Whinlatter Round and despite putting on anti-midge cream we were covered in bites. Since we have met two people who swear by Avon anti-moisturiser, can we advertise like that :lol:
Will try to get next post on soon, husband does it for me :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 pm

There's always midges in the Lakes too but somehow they don't seem as allergenic as the Scottish ones. I find they're just an irritation at the time but with no after effects whereas, with the Scottish ones, I'm scratching for days! I was laughing while sat in the Ullapool pubs as everyone looked like they had fleas - everyone but everyone was scratting away!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland