walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wainwright Bagging-Part 2-Whinlatter Round

Wainwright Bagging-Part 2-Whinlatter Round

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barf, Broom Fell, Graystones, Lord's Seat, Whinlatter

Date walked: 22/06/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here's Part 2 of 3 showing my Wainwright walks, actually this route is one of Bill Birketts, an area we had not been to but it was a really nice sunny day.

Whinlatter.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked up at a small car park at Spout Force and made our way along the well made forest road where we eventually found the way up to Whinlatter by a fallen wall and the edge of a felled forest, very difficult to see the raised entry to this.
IMG_3633.jpg
The climb to Whinlatter
IMG_3635.jpg
Looking across to Broom Fell and The Lord's Seat

After negotiating the fences and walls we nearly got run over by a fell runner before reaching Brown How, the top of Whinlatter. This afforded us some great views to Grisedale Pike and its surrounding fells.
IMG_3647.jpg
Atop Brown How
IMG_3651.jpg
Grisedale Pike

We moved on to Whinlatter Top from where we could see our route to The Lord's Seat which looked further away than it was :)
IMG_3658.jpg
Lord's Seat

After skirting the woods and crossing Tarbarrel Moss and Ullister Hill (both Birketts) we arrived at the summit of the Lord's Seat. Here I left hubby to "nip" to Barf and in that time the midges set about him :D
IMG_3702.jpg
Lord's Seat, just back from Barf, great sky !
IMG_3695.jpg
Route to Barf

The journey to Barf was not too bad and a couple I walked with took a summit photo for me, I thought this was better than having to climb it in the future from the road below :(
IMG_3687.jpg
Barf summit
IMG_3691.jpg
Valley below Barf
IMG_3689.jpg
Skiddaw across Bassenthwaite

Now re-united we could see our route to Broom Fell which looked quite easy :)
IMG_3698.jpg
Route to Broom Fell

We were soon at the top of Broom Fell which had a magnificent cairn
IMG_3709.jpg
Broom Fell summit

Now we could see our last summit, according to AW it is one and a quarter miles to Graystones.
IMG_3719.jpg
To Graystones

There are three tops on Graystones and Wainwrights isn't the highest, visits to all of them saves arguement :D
IMG_3744.jpg
Wainwrights Graystones peak

Now we had a very steep descent back to the valley floor, the photo shows us already a third down :(
IMG_3753.jpg
Steep descent
There were still some great views as we headed for home.
IMG_3756.jpg
Great views

It seemed like more than 8.7 miles, perhaps it was the heat, later the midge bites took hold :( but we enjoyed the area and the views were fabulous, also we only met about 10 people, one chap was completing every Wainwright route :shock: . Thanks for looking, 3 more tops tomorrow, bye
Last edited by susanmyatt on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Wainwright Bagging-Part 2-Whinlatter Round

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 pm

Enjoyed that as usual! :) Just one thing... your deliberate mistake - you've put 'Tarbarrel Moos' instead of Moss! :lol: I'm gonna call it that in future - like I also say 'Martcrag Moo' (Langdales) as my old map has that instead of Moor :)
mountain coward

Re: Wainwright Bagging-Part 2-Whinlatter Round

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 pm

My secretary requires an update on his proof reading skills :lol: the lake midges certainly made us itch :(
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland