walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Daddy Chuil

Daddy Chuil

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat May 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 10/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 10 May

Weather: easterly breeze but not cold, warm in direct sun, just 1 short shower

This was a bit of a last minute trip. I try not to drive more than 2.5 hour each way on the one day - it tires/bores/stresses me. These 2 munros climbed from Auchessan on the A85 seemed like a good choice as I studied the map just before bed on Saturday night.

I'll keep the details of the walk to the foot of Meall Glas brief. It really is a sodden trudge right from the farm and the "path" is not much help. Two pretty miserable hours over 4km of bog brought me to the foot of MG. By this stage the sky had darkened and I seriously though about bagging the Corbett Beinn nan Imirean and heading back to the car. I told myself that once I was on steeper ground I would be happier - and I was. A fairly steep but shortish climb brought me to the summit of MG. The skies had cleared and the views were fantastic. These may not be the highest of hills, but their situation makes for a great 360 degree scene.

Creag Mhor & Beinn Heasgarnich panorama.jpg

There was reasonable amount of soft fresh snow up top and this made for slightly slippy conditions as I descended to the col between MG and Beinn Cheathaich. I couldn't be bothered ascending BC so headed straight down its steep SE face. This section required a little route finding to avoid crags but that is part of the fun for me. I crossed over the soggy col between the 2 munros and started up the very steep W side of Sgiath Chuil. I stopped here for a proper rest - the sun was out and the mountain sheltered me from the easterly breeze. Boots, socks and tops were off - bliss.

I had about 300m very steep ascent left but this didn't bother me - I love this sort of slope where you can keep the sole of your boot flat and gain height rapidly. Just 25 minutes brought me to the humpback summit of SC. A short stroll along this grassy ridge brought me to the very small cairn which marks the high point. There were views north to the Ben Alder group and SW along Glen Dochart with Ben More dominating the scene.

Meall Glas from Sgiath Chuil.jpg

Ben More.jpg

My fun was now over. I knew I had another 5km of mud and bog to traverse back to the car. I crossed the peaty mess and descended by the Allt Rioban which was very pretty but no less damp underfoot. I made it back to the car with my feet still dry which is a testament to my boots.

Sgiath Chuil and Allt Riobain.jpg

These were enjoyable enough hills but I cannot recommend them from this side. My advice would be to suffer the extra time in the car and enjoy the hills more by climbing them from Glen Lochay and in the order I did (Meall Glas 1st) as the descent from Sgiath Chuil would be very steep.

Total distance approx 14.5km (but felt like a lot more); time 7.5 hours; approx 1250m ascent.
Last edited by LeithySuburbs on Sat May 08, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Daddy Chuil

Postby Paul Webster » Sat May 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Another great report there Leithy. I've done Meal Glas from that side but omitted Sgiath Chuil; as you say, a bit of a bog-fest on the approach and I'm looking to approach maybe using the track to the SE next time: I've not read an account going that way. That dusting of snow looks so perfect but it melted pretty fast over the next few days :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Sun May 17, 2009 9:00 am

Great title :lol:

I'd definitely avoid the Auchessan approach unless there was solid snow cover - that bog is irritating.

Rewarding views you got though :D
kinley

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun May 17, 2009 5:23 pm

The track to the SE of Sgiath Chuil would be a good approach on a mountain bike. I thought about this but the initial ascent from Auchlyne looks tough before you reach the boggy plateau (unless you are a strong cyclist - I'm not).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby DEADEVEN » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 pm

when doing these 2 hills,is there a small river to be crossed when doing meall glas first?
is there a footbridge and if so,roughly where is it?
i,ve just registered on this site so iam still finding my way about :oops:
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

Postby monty » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi Deadeven,
If you do Sgiath Chuil first then you can cross the bridge near kenknock farm.

see http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5131 :D
monty

Postby Rekrab » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 pm

I did this in Aug tacked on the Corbet to the left and Sgaith chuills E top. so i think it was a corbet 2 munros and 3 tops!! amazing day out,

most people do this from kenock farm, I walked in from Crainlarich train station.

and then headed up from the A85

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby DEADEVEN » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 pm

monty wrote:Hi Deadeven,
If you do Sgiath Chuil first then you can cross the bridge near kenknock farm.

see http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5131 :D

cheers much appreciated :D starting sun 8am all welcome 4/5 of us doing them :thumbup:
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

Postby bdearg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Did Sgiath Chuil from Auchessan today, very boggy early on but snow helped later. 2inch of it makes a very quick and easy going ascent to the summit. Lived up to its name as well as the wind was howling but the summit was sheltered from the east. With these conditions and views u can't knock this walk from this direction. :clap:
bdearg
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:64
Fionas:37   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Ahhhhhaaaa!!!! Daddy Chuil raises his head again after all these years! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland