walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ACaisteal, a Chroin, Tulaichean, C Ardrain from Glen Falloch

ACaisteal, a Chroin, Tulaichean, C Ardrain from Glen Falloch

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 am

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 21/08/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1988m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Beinn Chabhair over 20 years ago, I’ve only now got round to climbing the remaining munros in that area (family now grown up so I can get back to walking !). I found a walk report for the An Caisteal, Beinn a Chroin, Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain from Inverlocharig but not from the A82 so I wanted to see if I could join them all up as a loop from the A82/Glen Falloch. It looked fairly straightforward on the map the only issue being the drop down east of Beinn a Chroin and the ascent over Stob Glas to Beinn Tulaichean. In the end I worked out a route for my GPS but had to vary it slightly on the day to get up over Stob Glas.
[My track shown below is truncated to 500 trackpoints as the original activelog is too large]

An Caisteal, a Chroin, Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain - 21aug2010.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As usual I set off very early from Glasgow – the weather was fine until just before the car park on the side of the A82 when it started raining. Fortunately it had dried up by the time I started walking but was still looking threatening.

1 south east to Sron Garbh on right, Grey Height on left.JPG

I headed off up the main track then off over boggy ground to go up Sron Garbh and Twistin Hill. I think there may have been a track but I didn’t pick it up until further up. Two miles in, it started to rain again, the mist came down and, to crown it all, my boots which were just over a year old started leaking; pretty soon my socks were soaked through (as an aside, I took them back to Tiso the next week, they tested them and then gave me a credit note for the full amount). I think I had everything in my rucksack bar the kitchen sink...........or spare socks (so I now carry spares with me)

The rest of the way up An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin it was very windy, very wet, very cold and I couldn’t see anything for the mist. I did try to shelter behind a boulder to see if it would blow over but after nearly 30 minutes I gave up as I was getting too cold. No pictures of this bit as there was no way I was stopping to get my camera out (in any event my fingers were numb from the cold despite having changed to my second pair of [supposedly] waterproof/windproof gloves).

Just after Beinn a Chroin as I was dropping down into the valley, the weather cleared a bit, the sun came out a little and I could even see some blue sky – the rain stayed off the rest of the day – and I could see a herd of deer slightly further down. The drop down from Beinn a Chroin was straightforward enough over clumpy, boggy grassland but the ascent upwards over Stob Glas was very steep with a fair bit of scrambling.

I eventually came out on the ridge between Cruach Ardrain and headed up to Ben Tulaichean with some great views to the south and Inverlocharig - also a great vantage point for Ben More and Stob Binnein.

2 Beinn Tulaichean from ridge north east of Stob Glas.JPG

3 view from Cruach Ardrain - Beinn Tulaichean ridge.JPG

4 Cruach Ardrain.JPG

5 Ben More, Stob Binnein.JPG

6 River Larig and Loch Doine to Loch Voil.JPG

I then headed down and up to Cruach Ardrain. The route back was via Meall Damh and Grey Height and then following the edge of the forest back to the main track.

7 return route from Cruach Ardain down Grey Height to left.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: ACaisteal, a Chroin, Tulaichean, C Ardrain from Glen Falloch

Postby skuk007 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Nice report and pictures. Interesting route to get these into one long day.
How did you get on with the one scrambly bit on Chroin?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks sku. Ascending Beinn a Chroin, I was just following the track as the weather was so bad and I was trying to keep upright in the wind/rain. There was a trickier bit which needed a bit of 'climbing'/scrambling but it wasn't too bad - I'm not sure but I think it can be avoided but there was no way I was going to try to find another route in that weather as I couldn't see in the mist. The route I took up Stob Glas to Beinn Tulaichean was a lot harder as it was very steep in places; I think if I'd walked a wee bit further back down I could maybe have had an easier route up to Ben Tulaichean but the weather had improved by then which helped a lot.
rockhopper

Postby Morag M » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Well done on doing the four, I done An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin on Saturday took me 8 1/2 hours, found the descent really boggy which slowed me down, I think I would recommed going back down the ascent route if only doing the two :lol: I found the scrambly bit going up to Beinn a ' Chroin pretty tricky, needed a wee push up at some point :lol:
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks Sarah - if the weather hadn't improved after Beinn a'Chroin I may have given up and headed back via Coire Earb. I liked the challenge of joining them up even if my ascent up Stob Glas was hard/steep compared to the scrambly bits on Beinn a'Chroin :D
rockhopper

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 pm

wow - thats about all I can say mate. Having done An caisteal and a Chroin today I cant imagine being able to do all 4 in one go especially in the freezing cold/rain like you did. My legs are aching just now after two so respect to you :)

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland