walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh

Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:27 am

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 22/01/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 934m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall Ghaordaidh; not a mountain I'd been looking forward to based on Mr McNeish's write up in the bible of the munros. Maybe it was the snow capped mountains and the consequently frozen path meaning I avoided the boggy nature of this hill in the summer. Either way; I enjoyed the hill...

Setting off; the early morning light was being cast upon the wee hill of Meall Dhuin Croisg as the muscles got to work warming up...

1.jpg
Early morning light on Meall Dhuin Croisg

Perhaps this is why the hill doesn't get much of a write up; because to be fair the next picture I took was just below the summit; nonetheless; a fairly simple ascent which did look as though it would be distinctly unpleasant in summer was fairly quick.

2.jpg
The view west toward Ben Challum from just below the summit of Meall Ghaordaidh

3.jpg
The view east toward Ben Lawers from just below the summit of Meall Ghaordaidh

The views from the summit reached shortly thereafter were stunning; Glen Lyon shown off to all it's glory; and somehow even the dam didn't look ugly. The snowcapped mountains of the Mamlorn Hills were looking as good as they probably can look. There was little wind and although the weather said -6 Celcius I stayed at the summit for some twenty minutes or so just absorbing the view. I'm convinced Scotland is the most beautiful country in the world...

4.jpg
The summit of Meall Gharodaidh looking west

6.jpg
Glen Lyon from the summit of Meall Ghaordaidh

7.jpg
The summit cairn of Meall Ghaordaidh looking east toward Ben Lawers

Time for the descent; which didn't take long. The steep part near the summit proved to be a good slide on the descent which got things off to a fairly rapid start with only a couple of badly placed rocks to avoid! All good fun... Werhayyyyy!

8.jpg
Tough on the way up; werhayyyyy on the way donw!

I usually record my walks on the phone. My Tracks from Google is pretty good... The relative height I think is pretty good, but it seems to overstate altitude pretty consistently by 50 metres or so.

9.jpg
The detailed route...

Link to map on Google...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 18bf8&z=14

The all important stats; a whisker over 2 hours 20 minutes of walking time.

11.jpg
The Stats!

And then the perfect finish to what was in some ways a surprisingly gorgeous walk; a roof down drive in the sunshine across the countryside to my favourite pub (if plugs are allowed); The Lade Inn...

12.jpg
The perfect ending to a mountain walk!
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 am

Looks like a good walk, your stats suggest you were really moving - walk time 2:23 for 11k! guess that wouldnt be the case with boggy ground conditions. Pics were good too but the car needs a wash! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:52 am

Great photos/views from the top (as with most Munros in good weather). The ascent from the Glen Lyon side is a lot more interesting - and the drive up Glen Lyon is also lovely.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby monty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Andrew,
Thats a fast time well done. We done it is similar conditions but with deeper snow to go through near the summit. Dont believe everything you read in Mcneish's books however saying that there is a huge hag field at about 700m to cross under the snow you were on which would be horrible in the summer if it was wet.

Time for the descent; which didn't take long. The steep part near the summit proved to be a good slide on the descent which got things off to a fairly rapid start with only a couple of badly placed rocks to avoid! All good fun... Werhayyyyy!
Nutter :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby kinley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Was a nice day - we were quite nearby :D

Your hill looked very attractive from the NE - and the views you got from it were none too shabby either.

Cracking pics 8)

I've got a plan to revisit this one sometime from Glen Lyon :)
kinley

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 pm

2dalmatians wrote:ics were good too but the car needs a wash!

I have told the good lady that ;)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am

Lovely stuff andrew and great pictures in the sun. I was further west along Glen Lochay today - totally different weather (mostly rotten) :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland