walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Caim & A' Bhuidheanach Bheag

Carn na Caim & A' Bhuidheanach Bheag

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 23/01/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1025m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I guess I'm hooked to these munro things now... It's a good a challenge as any I guess and I love the outdoors, so why not... There does seem to be a bit of debate on the practice of 'munro bagging' though - you could argue today was an example of that; hills completely covered in mist with about 5 to 10 metres visibility; a far cry from yesterdays ascent of Meall Ghaordaidh in winter sunshine with epic views.

Still, there's more to it than that right; no one can argue that completing all of the munros in Scotland is one heck of an accomplishment. And navigating the rounded largely featureless Drumochter hills in conditions like this isn't exactly easy either...

Navigation Test.jpg
A healthy test of the navigation skills... Trying to find the summit of A' Bhuidheanach Bheag...

Fortunately the trusty compass bearing worked out okay and all was well; and what a view from the summit!

A' Bhuidheanach Bheag Summit.jpg
THe summit of A' Bhuidheanach Bheag...

No time to hang about; it wasn't particularly warm so I high tailed it over to Carn na Caim where I was treated to another epic view...

Carn na Caim Summit.jpg
The summit of Carn na Caim...

Which just leaves the stats... It wasn't a day for hanging about and I covered the 20 km in just a shade over four hours, with very little time spent absorbing the view, and thankfully very little time lost! ;)

My Tracks.png
Detailed route using My Tracks from Google on the mobile phone

Link to the full google map here...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 7&t=p&z=13

And the stats...

The Stats.png

Altitude Profile.png
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Carn na Caim & A' Bhuidheanach Bheag

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Wow - stunning views indeed :lol:

Thats a very fast time 29k in 4hrs :shock:

I did 20k yesterday in 9hrs :?
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby monty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Yep, great views :lol: :lol: Not a bad time as Dootebang has said but in all honesty you dont get much easier munros. :D I imagine the navigation was a lot harder than the walk :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Stretch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi Andrew, this brings back memories. I tried these two at the end of last winter in similar conditions. I had the route on my GPS but did not bring the map since these were not my planned hills for the day, I just happened to come back down the A9 and decided to give it a go. My GPS sadly died about 100 meters from the summit of A'BB, but I couldn't see 10ft in any direction. Bummer, so I followed my tracks back to the car, and came back the next weekend with a map and finished these. Wasn't much to see from them though, so don't feel too bad about your lack of views.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm

monty wrote:Not a bad time as Dootebang has said but in all honesty you dont get much easier munros.

Hi Monty - agree, these were an easy two, with the track making even lighter work of it... Navigation was definitely more challenging than the walk!
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Stretch wrote:Wasn't much to see from them though, so don't feel too bad about your lack of views.

I think my strategy is going to be do the dull(er) hills on the bad weather days! Still good to be out in the fresh air though! :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Pity about the weather Andrew ,was up there on saturday and the weather could not have been better.Defo not the most exciting hills but the views were great for us and it was a pleasant wee day .
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland