walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wainwright Bagging-Final Part 3

Wainwright Bagging-Final Part 3

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Holme Fell, Lingmoor Fell, Raven Crag

Date walked: 24/06/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, final part of our Wainwright walks, an early wake up and a drive up the Langdale Valley and a steep climb to Blea Tarn, wouldn't like to have to travel that road in the snow and ice :( Parked up we set off up to Lingmoor Fell, ahead of us was Side Pike.
IMG_3768.jpg
Side Pike (Birkett)

As we climbed there was a good view of Blea Tarn with its accompanying fell, behind is Pike O'Blisco, sadly the Crinkles and Bow Fell had their heads in the clouds.
IMG_3774.jpg
Blea Tarn

The Langdales were now showing themselves above Side Pike.
IMG_3776.jpg
Langdales

We crossed a stile to a very, very windy summit.
IMG_3796.jpg
Lingmoor Fell

We were soon back at the car and a drive through Ambleside took us up the valley to the head of the Thirlmere Reservoir and the base of Raven Crag.
IMG_3880.jpg
Raven Crag from the dam road

It was a short walk from the car park and straight up through the woods, on our climb we got a view of Castle Rock in "St.John in the Vale"
IMG_3821.jpg
Castle Rock

We then got a glimpse of Raven Crag, home to Peregrines.
IMG_3822.jpg
Raven Crag

After a stiff climb we came to a fork in the path, the right went to Castle Crag and The Benn (both Birketts) we were to go left through the pine woods.
IMG_3827.jpg
Last leg to the summit

It was a different type of top and the views were instant.
IMG_3832.jpg
The Dodds and Castle Rock

The summit cairn doubled as a nice little seat :D
IMG_3835.jpg
Summit

There were ample photo opportunities, even Wainwright drew himself here :lol:
IMG_3846.jpg
Looking up the valley
IMG_3868.jpg
Looking down to the dam
IMG_3870.jpg
Thirlmere Reservoir,looking towards Grasmere

Our last Wainwright was near to where we were staying, Holme Fell,it is near Tiberthwaite just north of Coniston. A small fell but again if it wasn't so overcast, full of great views.
IMG_3899.jpg
Holme Fell summit
IMG_3912.jpg
With Coniston behind me
Thanks for looking, tried not to go on too much, one final picture is through the cottage stairs window, in the background the Coniston Fells, in the foreground our friends the sheep, they quite often gazed at us through the windows :lol: :lol: :lol:
IMG_3762.jpg
The locals
Once again,thanks for taking the time to look :clap:
Last edited by susanmyatt on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Wainwright Bagging-Final Part 3

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Don't worry - I think your posts are pretty popular! I enjoy them anyway and I see lots of favourable comments on them! Hope you were feeding the sheep - they like green grapes, crisps or sandwiches!;-)
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks for that MC, I love to see the lambs and seeing the sheep in the hills makes the places seem less remote, it is a hard life for them in the winter though :( . Will be out with the gang on Saturday, don't know where yet.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby IreneM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 am

Hi Susan,

Just wondering if susanmyatt is a pseudonym, as I was browsing the SMC website ( www.smc.org.uk ) and you should really check out Munro Compleatist number 4265 and her photo. It's an uncanny likeness, although they say everyone has a double.......

Happy Hillwalking

Irene
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 am

C'mon Irene :lol: good spot but I have never done a Munro, only ventured north of the border on a coach holiday to Inverness, it must be the windswept grey hair :lol: , my husband is a bit bigger than hers :D see picture. No secrets to the username as it is my name, many thanks for looking at the posts, Sue
ps. my gang nickname is scrapa
IMG_3502.jpg
Hubby on Black Crag
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland