walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chno when to hold em . . .

Chno when to hold em . . .

Postby Stretch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 22/01/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 928m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Chno when to fold em! That seemed to be the theme for my early start for these two hills. This was my first proper walk of 2011 and it almost didn't happen. As I neared the turn for Laggan off the A9 I realized I had left my phone/gps on my sofa. Doh! So, having left my route with Gammy Leg Walker and my estimated time to text him when I was done, I thought I might have to call the day off, mainly because it might not be until 5-6pm before I could text him and by that time he might have called Mountain Rescue. I kept driving though and tried to convince myself that I could make it back in time and if need be I would only climb one of the hills. I was slightly worried that should something happen to me I wouldn't have a phone, but I had my whistle and every other piece of emergency kit so I forged on. There was another problem though . . . it was really foggy in the glen and I thought I would have to use my newly acquired navigation skills. I arrived at the parking area before the last few houses in Fersit and got my boots on. Two more walkers came shortly after and said they would look after me if I needed them to. So I set off before 9 down through the hamlet and out to the sheep pens where I turned right and walked off through the frozen bog. I could just make out the shape of Sron na Garbh-bheinne through the fog so I made a b-line for it.

I can barely make out my target Sron na Garbh-bheinne.jpg

After about 35-40 minutes I emerged out of the fog. Nice! It stretched all the way down Loch Laggan and down to Glen Spean. With my spirits lifted I aimed for a small ridge to the left below nose of Sron na Garbh-bheinne. This was a fairly simple route up and soon after I crossed a snow patch that carried me to the ridge below Stob Coire Sgriodain. At that point the views improved in all directions and the Easains were looking mighty fine. Two hours after setting off with doubtfs of what I could accomplish, I made it to the summit. The view toward Glencoe/Glen Etive was simply spectacular. I soaked it in for about 15 minutes and ate a quick bite before carrying on, knowing I had to rush things today. It was only 11:30 so I decided I had time to bag Chno Dearg and still have enough time to make it home before Gammy got too worried.

Creag Meagaidh above the cloud inversion.jpg

Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Aim for the snow patch on the left.jpg

Last bit before reaching the ridge to Stob Coire Sgriodain.jpg

Summit of Stob Coire Sgriodain.jpg

Perfecto.jpg

Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin over Loch Treig.jpg

Across Loch Treig all the way through Glen Etive.jpg

Across to Chno Dearg.jpg

Walking across the ridge on my way to Chno Dearg I stopped every so often to snap a few photos. It was easy going and there were a couple sets of tracks to follow across the broad ridge. I reached the summit of Chno Dearg at 12:30 but wasted little time at the top. The cloud had come down but visibility was good enough and I followed the same tracks off the hillside until I dipped below the cloud. From there it was an easy stroll back to the bog at the lower section. Made it back to the car just before 2pm, change shoes quickly, and speeded back to St Andrews. Gammy had sent me a text about 10 minutes before I walked through the door at 4:15 saying he was getting a little worried. I replied saying sorry for the short delay, but that I had completed the walk without my phone. I was rather fortunate with the weather and made good time across the hills, but I think if I had to do it all over I would have turned back after I realized my phone was at home. This time I gambled and played my cards . . . the pics are proof of my winnings!

Chno Dearg.jpg

Across the snow to Binnein Mor.jpg

Across to Creag Meagaidh group.jpg

Glencoe and Glen Etive in the distance.jpg

The Easains and beyond.jpg

Ground already covered.jpg

Nearing Chno Dearg.jpg

The Easains.jpg

Chno Dearg summit.jpg

I also found the dream camper that Monty has always wanted. :lol:

Monty's dream camper.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Stretch on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Chno when to hold em . . .

Postby monty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey Stretch,
Been waiting for a report. Thought you might have got lost :lol: Just as well you were quiet when you went past my camper. You might have woke me up :lol:

Love the inversion photo but then I hate to say it, but you have a great set of photos there, in fact looks like a full house to me :lol: The weather was superb.

Excellent. :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Great report Stretch.

Bit of a gambling man eh :D

It was probably good you were forced to do the walk without a GPS and brush up on those nav skills.

Im crap at navigating - still learning. Dont have a GPS either - think ill buy one as a back up.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ya beauty..
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby kinley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Nice!

Was wondering how you were doing from a little ways south 8)
kinley

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Nice walk report mate with some fine photos to back it up,looks like you had good weather all day,your not far wrong,after I sent you the text to see how you were getting on and got no reply I was only going to give you another 15/20 min and was going to call mountain rescue,anyway no harm done,at least you no I was looking out for you. :D :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm

So that's what it looks like across from those summits...lovely shots.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 pm

hi stretch awesome photos m8 ,cloud inversion nice still to see one for myself yet 8)
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Good stuff stretch, nice to see you back in the hills here :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby davgil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Great report and beautiful photos too.
Bit of a worry without the phone etc. so well done!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby fingeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Nice report Stretch

some cracking piccies :)

least if you'd gotten into some trouble Monty could have let you in his camper for a cupper before sending you back out lol. have to meet up for a walk this year after not being able to last year.

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

Postby Stretch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Cheers folks, it was a hell of a way to start off my year in the hills. Thanks again Gammy, I am tying my phone around my neck the night before I head out again :lol: . Monty, your camper is sweet! Might need to wash it every now and again though. Ross, I pass through Perth every time I head out so just let me know when you're free and I'll pick you up.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Great stuff - remembered you mentioning your plans in another thread, so it occurred to me that you weren't that far away on Saturday. I knew you'd be getting similar brilliant views to me 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby fingeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 pm

well im pretty much free every weekend from now on lol, so just give me a shout with where your planning and im sure we can sort something out :)
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 am

What a change from the first photo to the rest - cracking pictures stretch. :D If your phones anything like mine you probably wouldn't get a signal :shock: and monty really needs to give that van of his a wash, it's filthy :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland