walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a'Mhaim

Carn a'Mhaim

Postby Left Behind » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 23/01/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm quite new to this, bear with me. :lol:

I've only taken up hillwalking in september of this year and unfortunately I don't get much of a chance to hit the hills due to work commitments so I try to make the most of it when I can. Once a month is the going rate since I began, which isn't too shabby with all said and done. Certainly a marked increase on where I was this time last year!

Anyhoo, I may regale you with my previous exploits later, but I'll start with my most recent one. Carn a'Mhaim on sunday 23rd Jan 2011. My first munro. :)

I set off from Aberdeen at 6am, reaching the Linn of Dee at around 0730ish. After my first experience of the Linn of Dee composting toilet I set about getting my belongings together. Having scouted the route on the site I decided to bike the first stretch to Derry Lodge , so I popped the wheel onto my bike, secured it, got my bag onto my back and headed out through the woods with my headtorch shining. All was going peachy until I encountered some sheets of ice on the path, so my bike ride became a little more laboured as I had to get off and push quite regularly. Not to be dissuaded I pushed on and luckily the path became more suitable. Not far along the path, with the sky's lightening, I caught my first glimpse of my target, Carn a'Mhaim.

I arrived at Derry Lodge just in time for the sun coming over the glens. Unfortunately I snapped no photos at this point. Ah, hindsight. Unsure where the usual spot for bike storage is, I secured mine to the side of the bridge over the Derry Burn and headed off on foot. The going was good, minus a few sections of ice determined to see me slip. Though the clouds were looking a tad manacing sitting atop the hill.

Undaunted I crossed the Luibeg Burn at the ford.

I was following a map and the route guide from this forum which I'd printed out, the guide said to follow the path as it spurs off directly up the hill. But I couldn't see any path, so I carried on down the path to Corrour for a little bit until I realised that I'd clearly went too far. Perhaps the path was obscured by a patch of snow, I thought. Cutting my losses I decided not to head back in an attempt to find the path and just tackled the hill in front of me. Clambering over heather and rocks I spotted a mountain hare and my first ptarmigan also, again no snaps unfortunately, both moved far too quickly once they saw me reaching for my camera. :D

By now I'd pretty much resigned myself to having zero visibility at the summit. :( Though I did get a nice view back down to the Linn of Dee whilst on my way up.

I eventually found the path, once I got my bearings and the going was easier after this. Eventually at about 1045 I arrived at the summit and sure enough, the views were terrible. I'd hoped for a glimpse of Devils Point at least but even that was hidden from me. This pic was taken as I was eating my lunch sarnies (a tad early!) and got a rare break in the clouds.

I spent about 15 minutes at the top convinced that the clouds were just about to clear in a minute, minutes came and minutes went and the clouds still sat there quite content with their rogueish behaviour. :x

Realising I'd made reasonable time, It crossed my mind to head over the ridge to Ben Macdui. But I decided not to, save it for another day. Firstly because I doubted I'd be able to appreciate the views and secondly I didn't much fancy getting lost over country I haven't seen before. My map reading/compass skills are... better than the average Joe on the street, but certainly far off perfection. So I headed back down the way I came. I encountered another pair of walkers just after leaving the summit, other than that I saw nobody else while walking. The journey down was ok, I must get myself slightly thicker socks or a pair of liners though, my feet were shifting about quite a bit and rubbed a nice wee blister on my little toe. :roll: I grabbed my bike back at Derry Lodge and headed back to the car. I arrived at the car park just before 2pm.

My first completed mumro, hopefully more to follow. Any tips/critique appreciated. :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Left Behind on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Re: Carn a'Mhaim

Postby monty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Well done on your first munro Left behind,
I need to do this one soon so nice to see the conditions. Shame about the weather. It was much better on Saturday but i know that doesnt help :lol:
monty

Postby fingeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Nice report Left Behind :)

dont worry about not getting views from the top you'll get used to it haha
you'll appriciate them more when you do get them though :)

I tend not to bother retracing steps if i lose the path aswell :) i quite like just rambling up the old hillside with no path which i seem to end up doing more often than not :)

Look forward to seeing some more reports soon :D

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby davgil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Congrats on your first Munro Left Behind...well done :)
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby Left Behind » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks all. Hopefully more to come. :)
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Postby sloosh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am

Here you go mate since you didn't get a peek when you were up there:

devils-point.jpg

Another benefit of hindsight as well (at least it was for me). About 100 yards up from the ford:

bridge.jpg

Well done on getting to the top of your first munro. :thumbup:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 am

Looks a great walk. I'll be doing this when I go back up to Braemar :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm

davgil wrote:Congrats on your first Munro Left Behind...well done :)

Ditto from me :D

One of the great things about this site is the up to date conditions you can get from reports like this. I hope to do this one & Ben Macdui soon so its great to know what the current state of the track to Derry Lodge is like from a MTB'ing point of view. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks there will be even less ice about on this track. Cheers :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Yes, well done from me too. Failed to do this one when we were camping there in the summer. I think there was a Munro-baggers' path up from by the bridge you missed, but you're right to just head up if you miss it.

You need to do a few hills in the clag or you won't properly appreciate the stunning views when you do eventually get them :)

I find walking socks with padded toes and heels (e.g. Thor-Lo) work better than two pairs of socks at preventing blisters. Plus a well-fitting pair of boots of course.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 pm

well done especially given some of the weather you had - this is on my to do list hopefully in summer but from the Aviemore side :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Good first TR - I was in this neck of the woods the day before heading to Sgor Mor. I think I won on the weather front mind you, but hey-ho. That's the hills for you. :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:13 pm

I like it - some fairly remote country and an interesting choice for a first Munro. Hopefully you get better luck with the weather in the future!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland