walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eildon Mid Hill

Eildon Mid Hill

Postby paulatthehug » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 am

Route description: Eildon Hills, from Melrose

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eildon Mid Hill

Date walked: 22/01/2011

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was just a little stroll up the highest of the three peaks of the Eildon Hill (or Hills, depending on who you choose to rely on) on what was a lovely sunny morning in the Borders. We actually set out from Melrose SYHA where we were staying in preparation for a Burns' night supper that night but I've put in the route from the point we left the road having walked through Melrose and under the bypass up the B6359 a little way.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The path, which at this point is part of the St Cuthbert's Way so it's well marked, starting with a finger post on the road which points you down a narrow path between houses. The path crosses a stream and then you gain height rapidly via wooden steps before ascending at a more gentle rate up a path between fields.

Looking back down the path towards Melrose
P1010503.JPG

Soon you get into more open terrain with heather all around and a clearly defined path heading towards Eildon Mid Hill.

Path heading up through the heather
P1010506.JPG

This take you up to the saddle between the north and mid hills where you leave the St Cuthbert's Way and head on up the path to the mid hill.

View down into Melrose from the saddle
P1010510.JPG

The team with Eildon Mid Hill behind
P1010509.JPG

You can see the path to the top in the photo above. There's a couple of places where you've going up over broken rocks where you need to be a bit careful but other than that it's fine and when you get there there's a trig point, a lovely view from the top for many miles in all directions and a handy brass plaque on a plinth to help you identify what you're seeing.

The gang too busy talking to admire the view
P1010513.JPG

We came back down the way we'd come up as far as the saddle and while the rest of the gang went on up the north hill I dropped down into Melrose, skirting the edge of the golf course (and slipping over on the way down on some greasy mud :( ) so I could do some shopping before the preparations for night began.

Oh yes, and as an added bonus this is a Marilyn so that's only 2,008 to go then. :wink:
paulatthehug
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:8

Re: Eildon Mid Hill

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 pm

wow - two reports for Eildon Mid hill within a day of each other - I've never been walking in this area but looks a good walk to get out in the fresh air :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Have a good Haggis, Paul. Just seen the pic of you on your site in a kilt.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby paulatthehug » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Ah, you mean this photo? Yeah, that was a laugh.

The Burns' Night supper was last Saturday but I've just been to our local Tesco for haggis for the two of us for tonight. They had a lot of McSween's ten serving ones (there's no way they'll sell all of those this late in the day!) but none of the 2-3 serving so I bought a big one and I'll have to chop it up into bits and freeze the rest of it for later. Not a problem.

Cheap too at £6 a pop: I may go back and get some more. :wink:
paulatthehug
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland