walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Eildons - nice Sunday stroll

The Eildons - nice Sunday stroll

Postby mcfly1981 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 am

Route description: Eildon Hills, from Melrose

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eildon Mid Hill

Date walked: 23/01/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 422m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since deciding to hang up my rugby boots I've grown a real desire to get into walking and hopefully reach some great summits and viewpoints throughout Scotland. This is only my second post but follows a very enjoyable (if not too challenging) ascent of the Eildon hills based on the edge of Melrose and a dominant fixture on the Borders landscape. my wife and I parked or car in Melrose on a fair but cloudy day and followed the signs to begin our Sunday afternoon trek.
DSC01554.JPG
At the start....
Halfway up we both decided that hungar was kicking in so we stopped for lunch and already we could identify so many borders landmarks.
DSC01555.JPG
Lunch time with a pleasant view
Our ascent wasnt too challenging but a little slippy on the clay-coloured tracks. Continuing on the wind increased which made it pretty cold as we reached the summits. On reaching the top, panoramic views were amazing....we could see so many places which we know well. As we headed back the rain clouds threatened to dampen our mood but on arriving back in Melrose we could both say how enjoyable our walk was and how amazing the view was which needs to be appreciated more by our local Borderers and visitors to the area.
Looking forward to my next walk..hopefully a bit more of a challenge...any suggestions are welcome.
Attachments
DSC01563.JPG
Border scenery
DSC01564.JPG
View of "Mid Eildon"
DSC01561.JPG
Alison feeling the cold!
DSC01566.JPG
At the top of the "3rd Eildon" (Cold Wind!!)
mcfly1981
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:3   

Re: The Eildons - nice Sunday stroll

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for the report - I've still never been to this area but am looking forward to a jaunt round these hills this year.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby RadMan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 am

Nice report there McFly, it wasnt so long ago that i did these hills. Also nice to see more people from the Borders using this great site. :D

If your looking for a bit more of a challenge then Hart Fell is a cracking walk which offers great views to the Cheviots and as far south as the Lake District! Its not far from St Marys Loch and i think its about 30 miles from Hawick but it is a really good walk and its also a Corbett at 808 metres.

Here some pics of my report when i done it last year.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3345

Stuart 8)
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Postby KGBMC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

My favourite walk when I come down to Melrose to bring in the New Year in the caravan,usually finishing the walk in the Ship

Could;t get down this year because of the weather

Be back in the spring
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Is that the place the Romans called Trimontium, from the cluster of three hills? If so, I believe there may be vast amounts of fairy gold secreted about the place, as well as a sleeping group of knights who should be woken only in the event of the end of the world, and a magic hill which is of course the gateway to the Nether Regions. Nice day out.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby paulatthehug » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Thanks for the report - I've still never been to this area but am looking forward to a jaunt round these hills this year.

It's where we're all going at the moment it seems. :wink:

It's the first time I've ever stopped in that area: we normally whizz past on our way north. But it seem look rather fine in a rather softer sort of way, and Melrose was lovely.

Oh other than the CoOp refusing to sell me Becks Blue before 10am because "we don't serve alcohol before 10am". Yes, Becks Blue is alcohol free. Yes, it does say "ALCOHOL FREE" in big letters on the side of the six pack. No, that didn't make any difference. Sigh.
paulatthehug
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland