walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I'm Achnafree and wandering

I'm Achnafree and wandering

Postby fingeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 23/01/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 450m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well decided Sunday was time to get back on my feet and out to them hills, after not walking since doing Conival and Ben More Assynt back in August and breaking my boots. Santa and my gf were good and got me some new ones for xmas though :D

So Achnafree it was as it was close by and thought would be nice walk to properly break my boots in and test some hill conditions out.

My friend decided that he was coming along on this one so i picked him up at around half 9 in Perth and after a quick stop at MC'Ds for some coffee we were off towards Crieff and soon enough at the Loch Turret car park. We were suited and booted in a couple of minutes and made our way along the track on the eastern side of the resevoir, took our time without a care in the world lol and stretched our legs.

The resevoir was still frozen although it did look like it had melted abit. Ben Chonzie in the distance was still heavily covered in snow from the looks of it and the summit was shrouded in cloud. We took the left fork in the track as we didnt fancy the track all the way to the top and part to do with Greame Dewer's report from last year :)

We didnt continue as far as Greame and headed up the slope pretty much where the map shows the track ending and where the burn is. reached the the summit fairly easily with no problems :)

IMG00312-20110123-1433.jpg
Mark at one of the cairns

IMG00317-20110123-1434.jpg
Me at one of the carins

We stopped here for around an hour for lunch and just enjoyed the views and peace. Was warm enough here with only a slight wind that chilled the hands. Only met a few other walkers while out although there were a fair few cars in the car park. One group of 5 came up as were were relaxing and chatted for a short while. Soon enough though it was time to get up and move though and we decided to head towards the landrover track and head down that way.

IMG00325-20110123-1447.jpg
Time to pose

IMG00326-20110123-1448.jpg
More posing

Going was nice and easy from there onwards and we stopped to take in the view of the resevoir from on high with some lovely reflections. you can easily see the ice still there just under the water :)

IMG00327-20110123-1514.jpg
Reflections in the resevoir

IMG00330-20110123-1520.jpg
More reflections

Followed the track all the way back the the car park after a nice day out and introduction back to the hills after my long abscence haha.

My boots were brill throughout and kept my feet warm and dry. They were getting a little sore by the end, but should be fine after another walk and once my feet get used to the stiffness compared to the softer boots iv worn the last year. My jacket was fab aswell, kept me warm without being too hot and with the little rain and 2 mins of snow we had on top I was still nice and dry. The I love the hood on it, keeps rain out perfectly and moves nicely with the head :)

Now were too next weekend? Back to the Munro's i think :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Re: I'm Achnafree and wandering

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Poser :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed your report and piccies
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby monty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Nice one Fingeez. (poseur :lol: :lol: ). nice to see you out and about. Get walking round perth and get them boots worn in. Then hit the munros. :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Well done on getting out.

I was in this area last week - didn't see a thing :shock:

Hope your boots are fine :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby fingeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 pm

thanks for the comments guys and gals :)

haha you gotta pose Monty :) and dont worry my boots are pretty much well worn in now, had them on out and about in Perth abit and after this walk i'll be back on the Munro's next weekend, might go up finish off the 2 of the west side of the drumochter pass that you done while i was up with you. see how the weather goes anyway lol

Hey Dooterbang

yeah was like that last year when i was up Ben Chonzie aswell lol
Hopefully be all suited and booted with crampons and an ice axe for some winter walks next winter :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Of maybe 6 times i've been up that way, i've only had two days of bad weather (one of which was the time i did Chonzie in a freezing snowcloud), the rest of the time it's been blazing sunshine and blue skies.

I think i'll head up Achnafree next time i'm there. I've eyed it up a couple of times and it'll get me started on the Corbetts.

Hoping it's one of my lucky weather days rather than the cold, cloudy day you had Ross.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby kinley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 pm

8) :lol: Nice one.

Had a double take at this pic - what a head of hair that lad has I thought :shock:

kinley

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm

:lol: :lol:

cool
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby fingeez » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Hey nathan considering im only a stones throw away ive only been up that way twice and both have been fairly cloudy lol, still not seen chonzie without a cloud top :)

Yeah ive had my eye on it for a little while too seeing as it was so close, gets me away from just one corbett too though :lol:

hey Kinley its a fair old mop under the hood aswell :shock:

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Good to see you back out there Ross. Cracking reflection shots -the loch looks like it's a mirror! Nice hairdo effect on that boy too. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 pm

kinley wrote:8) :lol: Nice one.

Had a double take at this pic - what a head of hair that lad has I thought :shock:

I thought so too - excellent early to mid 1970s styling, or is it a furry hood? The lack of flared/Bell-bottom jeans made me decide it must be a furry hood. Just the thing for a chill wind.Of course I prefer to just hollow out a local wildlife specimen on the day...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Definitely a hill for the hit-list this year...
8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby fingeez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey Greame thanks for the comment
first time i got some reflection shots lol, usually the waters all over the place for me haha, just wish the ice had melted so you couldnt see it in the water so much.

Haha Caberfeidh yup def just a furry hood. we did spot a pair of white hares darting rapidly away from ourselves that i thought you could have mada rare old pair of boots from.

Hey malky i'd def recommend it for nice easy stroll lol :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland