walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Your favourite walkers pub in the Highlands?

Re: Your favourite walkers pub in the Highlands?

Postby holtlynx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Got to be the Clachaig; alwas going like a fair, decent beer, mountainous portions of food, tall tales being told on every hand and just a great vibe.
holtlynx

Postby Grumpy Old Man » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Skye/ Slig Hotel
In April 2008 when I was last there the big 'hall'/ bar/ restaurant at the Sligachan Hotel - with a bar at the end and two (I think) open fires - was closed. Only a small 'snug' type bar was open. Was this just seasonal? Am there next Easter and was hoping it'd be all open.
Any other offers on Skye?
Grumpy Old Man

Munros:1   

Postby stomper » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Cluanie inn for me as its based around over 15 munros and the pints and food are great.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby kinley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Couldn't say......Pubs are dens of iniquity and my body is a temple :lol:

I've certainly never been in say, the Clachaig, the Applecross, the Old Inn Gairloch, the Kintail Lodge, The Old Bridge Aviemore, the Falls of Dochart Killin, the Aultguish, the Torridon Inn (Ben Damph), the Slig, the Invergarry Hotel, the Bridge of Cally.

Such places are ruinous to the body and the soul :wink:
kinley

Postby Papagenos » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

kinley wrote:Couldn't say......Pubs are dens of iniquity and my body is a temple :lol:

I've certainly never been in say, the Clachaig, the Applecross, the Old Inn Gairloch, the Kintail Lodge, The Old Bridge Aviemore, the Falls of Dochart Killin, the Aultguish, the Torridon Inn (Ben Damph), the Slig, the Invergarry Hotel, the Bridge of Cally.

Such places are ruinous to the body and the soul :wink:

You are so virtuous, we should all take inspiration from you! :D
Papagenos
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:32   

Postby BVCSK » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 pm

After doing Beinn Bhuidhe today we stpped off in The Village Inn (creative name!!) in Arrochar. Four real ales, good food majestic views. Cant be bad.
Also agree with the Clachaig but The Slig? Isn't it only open for 3 months of the year?!!
How about The Waverly Hotel in Callander?
Bruce
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:16 pm

The big bit of the Slig is open for business Easter to end of September, otherwise it's the hotel bar in the older bit of the building, which is quite interesting. There is a good pub at Carbost, but at approx five miles from Glen Brittle campsite you really need a designated driver.Or you could stay at their shoreside bunkhouse...
Kinley claims his body is a temple ~ yeah ~ Stonehenge!
Is no-one else going to extoll the virtues of the Kingshouse of Rannoch? My mate was in there one wild night years ago - a bloke was lying blind drunk, spread-eagled across the pool table. But the others were still playing pool round his inert form! And some numbskull let off an orange smoke signal in the toilets - whenever anyone went into the bog great clouds of orange smoke would issue forth...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 pm

And then there's the one at Sheil Brig, the name of which escapes me. I seem to remember having a fun time in there. And the Glen Elg Inn, which has loads of old wooden fishboxes built into the bar, again my memory seems somehow hazy on the subject. Can't think why...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Grumpy Old Man » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:33 am

"The big bit of the Slig is open for business Easter to end of September.."

Excellent. Thanks. Am on Skye for a fortnight starting Easter weekend!
Grumpy Old Man

Munros:1   

Postby Myth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Paul Webster wrote:...Second would be the Anderson at Fortrose; some of the best real ales in the Highlands, plus one of the few pubs to sell real cider, a massive selection of bottled foreign beer, plus fabulous food and friendly owners. Also thought I'd nominate it as probably no-one else has heard of it :lol: ...

My homwe town (as much as any town can lay that claim). I used to serve behind the bar there in my youth when it was the Station Hotel. Applied for the job on my 18th birthday - much to the landlords surprise...

And yes, great selection, and a favourite of CAMRA.
Myth

Postby BVCSK » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 pm

We were in Skye over hogmany and ,after reading an article about the wonderful bar at the Slig in Trail magazine, decided to organise a whole day at this part of the island culminating in a meal and a few pints(wife said she would drive) in said pub. Alas the best laid plans.... Whole place shut with a sign outside stating closed until March 28th!!! Nuff said.

Off to Ballater tomorrow for a week of walking and cycling, can anyone reccomend a good pub for this area? Oh and then Muir of Ord/Strathpeffer the week after that followed by another week in Blairgowrie. Reccomendations for any of these areas will be most welcome.
Bruce
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:58 am

Do we have any more nominations? I may convert this into a vote....
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby stomper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Earlier i said my favourite pub was the Cluanie inn in Kintail Well although i still think its a great pub you don't get half ripped off from that place Just come back from bagging 8 more munro's and thought i would have a meal there to celebrate reaching 200 munro's This is what i had

Coke (pint) £3.00 (YES £3.00)
Steak & Ale pie £12.00
Strawberry cheese cake £6.00
Soup £6.00
How can they justify charging that amount especially £3 for a pint of coke is beyond me. Next time i go up in that area i might need to look elsewhere for my meals as these prices are extorshinat ( Sorry about the spelling)
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby kinley » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:37 pm

Try the Kintail Lodge at Shiel Bridge.

The Cluanie has a spectacularly bad rep - never been in it.

Met up with a bunch of friends at the Kintail last year - it's a good laugh, nice owners :D

Alternative a bit further E is the Invergarry Hotel. Good beer, good pub, nice owners too :D
kinley

Postby holtlynx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Agree Cluanie is over-priced; also thought the service poor and off hand last time we were there (two summers ago - and we were staying there). Has the Glenelg changed hands recently? Used to be wonderfully eccentric. Is there anywhere in Ballater and Braemar that is fun? Yet to find somewhere that doesn't feel as if they're expecting the queen to turn up at any minute.
holtlynx

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion