walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arthur's Pike and Loadpot Hill from Roehead

Arthur's Pike and Loadpot Hill from Roehead

Postby MiniRambo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arthur's Pike, Loadpot Hill

Hewitts included on this walk: Loadpot Hill

Date walked: 30/01/2011

Time taken: 7

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 727m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to do a couple of hills relatively close to home. Had my brother Chris and two friends Peter and Malcolm for company and made for a good day out!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

102_5509.JPG
Ready and raring at the start

102_5512.JPG
Looking north over Ullswater

Arrived at the hamlet of Roehead near to Pooley Bridge at 10.30am and away walking shortly after. Weather was set fair with intermittent cloud. The ground was frozen and helped with initial terrain which would undoubtedly have been quite wet and boggy.

102_5513.JPG
On the path to Arthur's Pike

The gradient was fairly easy and we covered the ground quickly (for us). Ullswater had a mist over it and the water was calm.

102_5519.JPG

102_5520.JPG
Ullswater

Soon arrived at the summit of Arthur's Pike.

102_5525.JPG
Me, Peter and Malcolm at the summit of Arthur's Pike

102_5526.JPG
Chris, Peter and Malcolm

We hadn't planned a full route although I did have an idea about going further. So after a brief discussion we decided to head for Loadpot hill. There were a number of other walkers about and quite a few mountain bikers who were enjoying the hard tracks.

102_5528.JPG
On route to Loadpot Hill

102_5531.JPG
Almost at the top!

At the summit of Loadpot Hill there is a trig point and then a small marker post details the actual top.

102_5532.JPG
Loadpot Hill trig point

102_5535.JPG
Us four and some small people!!

There was a light but cold breeze now so we decided to drop down the south flank and came upon an old ruin of a building. We had our lunch. As we were getting ready to move on, the cloud dissipated and we enjoyed the sunshine which provided better light for viewing the surrounding hills.

102_5536.JPG
Lunch Time

102_5538.JPG
Here comes the sun

Just past the watershed we dropped down into the valley heading towards Howtown on the shore of Ullswater.

102_5541.JPG
The route down

102_5545.JPG
Head down to Howtown

102_5548.JPG
Cote Farm

A very good path then led us gradually up hill and back to gain our outward path.

102_5553.JPG
The path back home

102_5555.JPG
Getting tired?!?

102_5556.JPG
A final view of Ullswater

102_5557.JPG
Almost home - the final hundred yards

As it turned out, a good route and and enjoyable walk.
Last edited by MiniRambo on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Arthur's Pike and Loadpot Hill from Roehead

Postby fedupofuserids » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 am

Looks like you had a good day, the sun usually comes out when I'm on the way back down too !
fedupofuserids

Re: Arthur's Pike and Loadpot Hill from Roehead

Postby MiniRambo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

The more I walk the more I realise that any day on the hill is a good day, getting a view and some decent weather is a bonus :D :D :D
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland