walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Postby Bruadair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 29/01/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1058m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After another early morning rise and drive up the A80 / M80 & A84 (via Menstrie) we eventually arrived at Inverlochlarig car park area (NN447184) and set off west along track to the style and direction sign for Beinn Tulaichean (NN439183). After negotiating the style and doing a jig across the hoof pitted cow pat field to join a track at (NN438184) and followed it NW to (NN436186) where we chose to start the assent up hill which was almost oposite Houdi's Highland Bonsai. The 300m / 350m was reached with relative ease and with some speed, and on looking back towards Inverlochlarig there were signs that the numbers on the hill were going to be good today as a few others had started up behind us and making good ground.
P1010080.JPG
Looking East to where River Larig meets Loch Doine and the adjoining Loch Voil
P1010081.JPG
Mark at Tulaichean summit cairn
P1010085.JPG
From Tulaichean summit
P1010087.JPG
Cruach Ardrain ahead sporting a cloudy frill.

P1010090.JPG
As we drop down to the bealach from Tulaichean and is if to order Ardrain lifts her veil
P1010094.JPG
Tea time on CA summit and Mark striding on to same..maybe he wants a cuppa
P1010093.JPG
Quick drink up Mark's coming
P1010095.JPG
Yours truely...just to prove I was there
P1010099.JPG
Looking down on Coire Ardrain with River Fillan in distance and I'm thinking Beinn Challium ??
P1010101.JPG
Looking back south toward Inverlochlarig NN438182 and Stob Breac with her evergreen skirt rising behind
After the summit shots we dropped off Cruach Ardrain to the Bealach and then desended via Coire Dubh following for most part a frozen burn down to, and hobbled along the track in Inverlochlarig Glen, and eventually back through a slightly thawed cow pat field and back to the carpark.
Another good day, with descent weather and a double chalked up....roll on next weekend.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Bruadair on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Postby houdi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Looks like there was a bit more snow up there for you than when I did these two. And I'm pleased you found my bonsai! I liked these two but can't really understand why Tulaichean is a Munro. Maybe the powers that be felt sorry for it? The same can be said for Beinn Glass, I suppose.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Bruadair - I am so jealous! We definitely should have tackled these two from the other side (see my report today). Some great pictures too. Well done. At least you confirm it wasn't a bus load of japanese tourists in shorts on the hill - that would have been too much to take!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Bruadair » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 am

houdi wrote:Looks like there was a bit more snow up there for you than when I did these two. And I'm pleased you found my bonsai! I liked these two but can't really understand why Tulaichean is a Munro. Maybe the powers that be felt sorry for it? The same can be said for Beinn Glass, I suppose.

Yes Houdi...fair bit of snow lying about but still there were a few people managed to negotiate hills without crampons, my colleague had both feet slip from under him at one point and he's about 16ft 13ins tall so it was about half an hour before his RS hit the ground but it looked a sore one.....so we cramponed up after cuppa on Tullaichean

We were going to head further up track to start assent and spotted your tree, so dived off in that direction.

Regards..............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby longlegs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 am

My colleague had both feet slip from under him at one point and he's about 16ft 13ins tall so it was about half an hour before his RS hit the ground but it looked a sore one.....so we cramponed up after cuppa on Tullaichean

I couldn't not reply to this - being the 16ft 13ins individual concerned ..... Use of the RS crampon is an established and well respected technique and very effective when deployed properly :? Unfortunately falling from such rarefied atmosphere means that I do have a slight bruise on the aforementioned crampon and a bit of whiplash thrown in for good measure!

It was a great day out though - good company, calm dry and even occasionally sunny weather and a great chance to test some new kit I managed to persuade the wife, parents and outlaws I needed for Christmas ;-)
longlegs
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   

Postby baggervance » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Bruadair wrote:
houdi wrote:Looks like there was a bit more snow up there for you than when I did these two. And I'm pleased you found my bonsai! I liked these two but can't really understand why Tulaichean is a Munro. Maybe the powers that be felt sorry for it? The same can be said for Beinn Glass, I suppose.

Yes Houdi...fair bit of snow lying about but still there were a few people managed to negotiate hills without crampons, my colleague had both feet slip from under him at one point and he's about 16ft 13ins tall so it was about half an hour before his RS hit the ground but it looked a sore one.....so we cramponed up after cuppa on Tullaichean

We were going to head further up track to start assent and spotted your tree, so dived off in that direction.

Regards..............B

Amazing the difference 1 day makes. Me and Dave climbed these 2 on Sunday 30th in significantly different snow and ice conditions.

We also passed the Bonsai tree :)

BV
Attachments
Beinn Tulaichean  Cruach Ardrain 009.jpg
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland