walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not quite Cruach Adrain & Beinn Tulaichean

Not quite Cruach Adrain & Beinn Tulaichean

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 29/01/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 875m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having completed my first walk of the new year last week (Beinn Each) I was really looking forward to getting back in the hills this weekend. The weather looked like it was going to toe the line and Andy had also decided to join me this week. All in all it was shaping up to be a good day. I had chosen these two munros as they are kind of next on my list (working my way north from Ben Lomond - yes along way still to go!!) and looked like an interesting climb from An Caisteal/Beinn a Chroin on the other side of the glen (our last walk together).

So together with Ruby, Bonnie and the new pup Penny we set off from the lay by at the Glen Falloch at 0830.

The first part of the climb was hard going - straight up the fence line at the edge of the forest, however we made good time and were up at approx 1750 ft after around an hour heading SE to Grey Height. We then continued on the ridge towards Meall Dhamh and after a cup of tea and quick bite to eat we approached the last climb up to the summit at approx 12pm and a height of 2800ft. Fitness and weather were not an issue, however the compacted ground and icy conditions were absolutely treacherous. Neither Andy nor I have that much winter walking experience and as we watched a couple of other more experienced walkers (who had passed us earlier in the day) having to traverse very carefully about 100 metres higher up it became clear that we were not going to make the summit by this approach. We took the decision to try and work our way carefully around the mountain through the ice/snow fields with the hope of finding an easier approach from the Beinn Tulaichean side. An hour and a half later we finally made the decision to call it quits. The summit of Tulaichean was in view and it looked like there was a bus load of tourists at the top!! Very frustrating but I have no doubt the right decision. (I think the route attached is fairly close to what we did but not 100%)

It definitely isn't just about reaching the summit (although we are both very competitive and will be back to bag these two soon). We had a great day out, the dogs had a brilliant time and the views were absolutely priceless as always.

Still I did wake up this morning with a bit of a flat feeling and with Andy Murray two sets down I decided a quick jaunt up Dumyat as an antidote was just the job. Set off from the layby on Sherrifmuir at 1130, got to the summit at 1215 and back to the car at 130pm getting me home in time for the cup footie this afternoon. Another great day! :-)
P1290033.JPG
andy before the 2nd wind kicked in!

P1290039.JPG
just about to head along the ridge
P1290043.JPG
first look at Cruach ardrain?
P1290048.JPG
base of cruach adrain - a wee bit scary....
P1290049.JPG
closest we got to Tuliachean!!
P1290051.JPG
Ben lomond in distance??
P1290053.JPG
An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin
P1300062.JPG
Dumyat panorama with wallace monument
P1300067.JPG
dumyat panorama from summit
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Not quite Cruach Adrain & Beinn Tulaichean

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Thumbs??? Thumbs??? :lol:

What fantastic pictures and a smashing report :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Bruadair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi 2D's,

It's hard lines that you didn't make it, but it was a bit slippy underfoot at times....that said there were a couple of lads that passed us like whippets and that was them without crampons. At around 12.00 we were at summit of Beinn Tullaichean having a cuppa and noticed a couple on extreme west shoulder of Cruach Ardrain which would be consistent with your closest you got photo...so maybe it was yourselves. I am envious when I see people with dogs running free on the hills...I would love to be able to do that, but we have Beagles (5 of) and if they pick up a scent (couldn't be avoided) they would just run and run, and would be stupid enough to run off an edge so I haven't been brave enough to take any along (yet)....... Andy...know the feeling well....it takes me 30 to 45mins to get my breathing right....not to worry, better luck next time, but good report with great photo's.

Best regards.............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

mw - thumbs tucked in today! :-)

Bruadair - I think i know what you mean about the dogs. as well as the black and whites I also have a Bassett Hound (Zippy - not the name we gave him as he was a rescue) which is the slow version of the Beagle (we have a Beagle next door - Dougall - and he would make a break for it if given half a chance). The Bassett would do the same but it is kind of slow motion. You see Zippy wandering but there is usually enough time to get him back. He does do Munro's though (Ben Vane) and was with me today on dumyat. If we eve get lost we should be able to follow the trail of slobber back to the car :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby Stretch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:45 pm

Pity you couldn't make the summits but it probably was the right choice. I did this route last Easter and scared myself silly on the upper slope of Cruach having left my crampons in the car. I hadn't needed them on the previous 4 hills that I had climbed, but that section was getting icier by the minute and although I made it to the top I chose to go around it on the way back, taking the lower route similar to your own.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Stretch, it is really unnerving when almost every step you take has a little give in it due to the ice. Our confidence just slipped away, though I guess when you get a bit more experienced it becomes a bit easier???
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby Stretch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 pm

I'd have to say it's when you get yourself some crampons, an ice axe, and maybe those handy microspikes that things get 'easier'. I was fortunate to follow another walker in his footsteps for the last 100 meters or so up the side of Cruach, he stopped to put his crampons on and I decided to follow. The snow had some give so it wasn't all iced over, but it was certainly to a point where I'd rather have my crampons. Going up Tulaichean was no prob though. My crampons won't be coming out of my pack until there is little or no snow this year!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:05 pm

2dalmatians wrote:...If we eve get lost we should be able to follow the trail of slobber back to the car...

Still laughing at this. :)

Shame about the walk, so close, yet... you made the right decision though, see the thread on that "Lucky Man".
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Never mind. You had a good day out & some of us are stuck in the house/work.

I did these two from the other side up Tulaichean first. they say the ascent of Adrain is easier. Not relevent when coverd in ice, but just for interest.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby siobhan_flute » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Definitely a walk that needs crampons/minispikes. Had the same experience as you last year in March/April, very frustrating not to hit the tops but sensible to turn back - I felt the same fear!!! Got minispikes for Christmas - the best present ever, and they give your feet a lot more security on ice and frozen ground. I whole-heartedly recommend them, I'll be heading back up to get those two tops with mini-spikes packed up in my bag!
siobhan_flute
Ambler

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:28 pm

I did these two last March in snow from Inverlochlarich, that route might be a better option for you to try in future. I did a walk report on it, which may be of interest to you and it's also worth noting we all got up and down without the use of crampons
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:51 pm

All, thanks for the advice and encouragement - it is much appreciated :-) Think I might get some mini spikes this weekend and go back for another shot from the other side (weather permitting of course!!)
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland