walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Achaladair

Beinn Achaladair

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 29/01/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7.6 km

Ascent: 920m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Achaladair

This was my first serious outing since October. The plan was to climb Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a Chreachain. As usual though doubly feckless me got it wrong.

First mistake: I overslept and set off one and a half hours later than planned. By the time I got to the top of Beinn “A” I thought it best just to turn and go home, leaving Beinn “C” for another day. That was the second mistake for, by the time I got back to car, I realised I could have completed the whole thing after all. I had almost two hours of daylight to spare! Eejit!

Anyway. I took what I think is a fairly standard route; form Achaladair Farm up the Allt Coire Achaladair, to Coire Daingean then north-ish up the south ridge past the south top to the summit. At about 800m I donned my new Christmas crampons. Retraced my steps for the descent.

The lack of fitness which had crept over me in the last three or four months really told. Today I’m aching like nobody’s business. Add to that blisters from new Scarpa Manta boots and you’ll understand why I’m feeling sorry for myself. Never mind, a wee bottle of "Cab-Sav" will cheer me up no end.

Here are some photos….

ACHALLADAIR 001.JPG
Attachments
ACHALLADAIR 009.JPG
Loch Ba etc and the Black Mount
ACHALLADAIR 013.JPG
Looking east to Loch an Daimh
ACHALLADAIR 015.JPG
Looking south down the ridge of Beinn Achaladair
ACHALLADAIR 018.JPG
The one I fecklessly missed out - Beinn a Chreachain. How could I?!
ACHALLADAIR 021.JPG
Lokking across Loch Tulla to (I think) Stob Coire Odhair
ACHALLADAIR 024.JPG
Allt Coire Achaladair
ACHALLADAIR 033.JPG
The Campbell stronghold at Achaladair Farm
ACHALLADAIR 002.JPG
The summit of Beinn Achaladair
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Achaladair

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:16 pm

:lol: You'd think that by the time you get to 55 munros you'd know what to expect but it's never that easy - at least you got some nice photos and fresh air. Next time you could take the scenic walk NE up Water of Tulla and approach a Chreachain from the NW. :D
Pity about your mantas but hopefully you'll get used to them over time. You could try wearing them for longer periods around the house and locally to break them in. I can get sore heels in my Meindl Burmas as well but fortunately they don't blister; they're 3 season boots but I have older two strap 12 point crampons which I can use with them.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Some nice moody shots there. Shame about Chreachain.
Would it have been possible to squeeze in Beinn an Dothaidh instead if time was short? Not sure if you can get to it from this route?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Milesy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:32 pm

You didn't happen to pull up next to us in the car park as we geared up for our climb did you?
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Good to see you back out. I'm thinking of heading that way this weekend, depending on meteorological conditions. Love the last shot of Achaladair summit. Very atmospheric. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:34 pm

we all make mistakes, but we learn and move on - you'll get it next time.

Well done on getting out - sure i seen you from Dothaidh :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 pm

EACHANN AN DOIRE wrote:First mistake: I overslept and set off one and a half hours later than planned.

I can sympathise with this :lol: .

EACHANN AN DOIRE wrote:By the time I got to the top of Beinn “A” I thought it best just to turn and go home, leaving Beinn “C” for another day. That was the second mistake for, by the time I got back to car, I realised I could have completed the whole thing after all. I had almost two hours of daylight to spare! Eejit!

I think 2 hours would have been really pushing it to have bagged Ba'C and got back to the car. From the summit of Chreachain it is still almost 8km back to the farm so best not to think of your decision as a mistake :) . Also, it is a great walk through Crannach wood and up to Chreachain in it's own right so you have a great excuse to return :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Milesy wrote:You didn't happen to pull up next to us in the car park as we geared up for our climb did you?

There was only one car in the car park when I arrived about 9am. I think they were quite well ahead of me - I followed footprints in the snow but never cought up with anyone.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland