walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pannanich Hill, Ballater

Pannanich Hill, Ballater

Postby Alastair S » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am

Date walked: 29/01/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 517m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20110129.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pannanich Hill profile.jpg

Pannanich Hill was mentioned as the location for a Granite City Hillwalkers Sunday walk. I couldn’t make the Sunday concerned but as I’d never heard of Pannanich I had a look on the map and thought it would indeed make a nice wee walk.

Saturday morning was dull, dull, dull as was my mood (poor week at work) – but the forecast said it would soon brighten up. Had family commitments for Sunday (the wife wanted to watch Andy Murray lose live on TV so I had to take my daughter to her orienteering) so it had to be today or nowt. Did think of taking myself off to Lock Lee but I’d left it too late in the day so made for Ballater instead.

Parked up in the main village car park just before 1pm and was soon underway, still under a blanket of cloud but with a few tantalizing patches of blue. Initial path was easy to locate – straight over the bridge & across the South Deeside Road and into the forest by a signposted path. Take the right one and you’re on your way to Glenmuick House, passing an unmaintained monument to some baron or other. Wasn’t long before said house was in sight, over the locked deer fence high gate, then left up the hill. Fairly steep and with hardly a breath of wind I was soon boiling hot & down to 2 layers despite the 1°C temperature.

1-looking west from above Glenmuick House.jpg

2-the light shines on Morven.jpg

3-Deeside from Pannanich summit.jpg

An hour from the car park to the 601m top. But the cloud was even lower than when I started. The view down Deeside to the east was still pretty good but couldn’t much in any other direction. Had my lunch & then followed the track to south to Craig Vallich. A bit of snow & ice about but by the looks of it there had been a smattering of more recent snow on the hard old stuff so that in my unsuitable old leaky summer only boots I could still get a grip. Quite a few folk about despite the underwhelming conditions, including one gent well into retirement in his tweak jacket & ice axe.

4-plateau (between Pannanich and Cairn Vallich).jpg

5-heading back, view north up Glen Gairn.jpg

Sun almost put in an appearace as I made my way back Ballater but it wasn’t till I got back to the car park that it eventually cleared up! So it did brighten up – it just did so after dark :lol: But at least I got a decent stretch of my legs and found a route that looks like it will ofter up excellent views in better weather.

Moody Muick with the Coyles of Muick prominent on the right

BTW...
Pannanich isn’t a hill that appears on any list I know. At home I have all the listed Scottish hills loaded in Memory Map so I was looking what the nearest one that did appear. Turns out to be Cairn Leuchan which at 700m is a Graham top of a Corbett. But which Corbett? Conachcraig is the nearest at 10.7km, but its across Glen Muick so it couldn’t possibly be that. With Mount Keen being on the same side of the glen as Cairn Leuchan and just 4.7km away (not that I could see it) I thought that maybe this was a mistake and it should be classified at a Graham top of a Munro. The only other Corbetts it could possibly mean is Ben Tirran (The Goet) above Glen Clova or Mount Battock on the other side of Mount Keen. Ben Tirran is 15.9 km from Cairn Leuchan, while Mount Battock is 18.1km. Go figure…
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Pannanich Hill, Ballater

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:29 am

Blowed if I know...

Cracking report Alastair :D :D :D

Was this the walk you were gona do with your club the same weekend as my Braemar thing?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Great report Alastair - love the 'light shines on Morven' shot and the 'Moody Muick' at the end - beautiful :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks peeps

Merry-walker wrote:Was this the walk you were gona do with your club the same weekend as my Braemar thing?

Yes, well spotted. I think they tried again in early January but not sure if it went ahead.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 pm

:D

Lovely area
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland