walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan Horseshoe (Stob Diamh)

Ben Cruachan Horseshoe (Stob Diamh)

Postby jwramsay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 18/07/2009

Time taken: 9 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On Saturday 18th July 2009, I headed off to climb in the Arrochar Alps but they were covered in clouds, so kept going through Inveraray and ended up at the Ben Cruachan range.

I met a young man and his Sergeant Major dad at the layby where everyone parks, beside the train station. We slogged it up the vally by the Falls of Cruachan up to the Dam Wall at 401m (1315 feet).

At this stage, due to the low cloud level we attached the Cruachan Horseshoe in the anticlockwise direction. We crossed over the dam wall and started climbing up to Stob Garbh (960m). We reached this some 3 hours after leaving the car park. The son decided to head back at this point, so me and the Sergeant Major headed the short distance to the munro Stob Diamh (998m 3274 feet). The gods shone on us and the clouds departed allowing some snaps from the summit. Then it was down onto the ridge to cross to Ben Cruachan (1126m, 3689 feet) and down the valley back to the reservour to walk along to the dam.

Arriving at the rather impressive dam:

Clouds tops - not good!:

You are allowed to walk across the dam, it's a long way down:

Gaining height:

View from summit of Stob Diamh:

Somewhere on Cruachan, the top was clouded:

Cruachan somewhere:

Quick glimpse of Glen Etive:

Reservoir and Loch Awe down below:

Youtube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ_PbBNQ1AA[/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Ben Cruachan Horseshoe (Stob Diamh)

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Fantastic, the video is so useful in showing the whole walk to the uninitiated,the Sergeant Major sounded a bit miserable at the start (by the dam) :shock: at the end I loved the gorilla grunts echoing around the dam :lol: :lol:

I really like the look of that walk and may make it a target for later in the year (will need greater fitness first) Thanks for posting
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby skuk007 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Like Chris said good to have the video to show you the route taken - is it possible to cycle from the road to the dam?
Or is that bit so short it's not worth it?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby jwramsay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 pm

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic, the video is so useful in showing the whole walk to the uninitiated,the Sergeant Major sounded a bit miserable at the start (by the dam) :shock: at the end I loved the gorilla grunts echoing around the dam :lol: :lol:

I really like the look of that walk and may make it a target for later in the year (will need greater fitness first) Thanks for posting

One of the hardest walks I've done I must say. There is no water when you get up on that ridge, so take plenty! (I'm not very fit BTW)
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Postby jwramsay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:27 pm

skuk007 wrote:Like Chris said good to have the video to show you the route taken - is it possible to cycle from the road to the dam?
Or is that bit so short it's not worth it?

The bit up to the dam is a great walk in its own right. You can follow a road up to the dam if you want to cycle.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland