walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Sons 1st Munro

My Sons 1st Munro

Postby Nige R » Wed May 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 27/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Took my son up here July 2003 was his 1st real mountain quite a change from Moel Fammau which is near where we live in North Wales. He was only 8 at the time and took some persuasion/bullying/encouragement to get him to the top. Had a rather funny experience not too far after leaving thr forestry, there where some young cows - did not pay too much heed to their gender - stood on the path that refused to move until prodded with a trekking pole.Another day of cloud all the way up then lifting when we got to the top ( I seem to be lucky with this in Scotland! )Told him a couple of times it was 20 mins to top as we were still in the cloud and as I stopped 2 guys father & son running to the top
this prompted him to say "you said that 20 mins ago" his mothers son without a doubt.When he saw that view from the top he was like "Wowwwww!" I could hardly keep up with him on the down he was so inspired.He really got into the spirit of things saying Hi to everyone on their way up, which the young lassies found enchanting
Jon Ben Lomond Summit Aug 2001.JPG
The Top!
Jon Ben Lomond Summit Aug 2001 3.JPG
Last edited by Nige R on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nige R

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:39   

Re: My Sons 1st Munro

Postby Myth » Wed May 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Congratulations!

My daughter was the same at that age - need cajoling to get up, but once the top's in sight there's no holding her back. Never has a shortage of energy on the way back down either.
Myth

Postby Dazgoz » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Absolutly fantastic :D . I think this is a great post and just like I did with my sons.

Please check out my son 'Ryan Gosling', web site http://www.ryangosling-adventures.co.uk and maybe let you son look at it as it just might inspire him to bag a second munro.

Darren Gosling
"Think deep, climb high and fall fast"
Dazgoz

Postby sloosh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Where's the rest of him? :shock: :shock:

Munro-bagging at 8. Awesome. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby monty » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Nige, great pictures. Your son must be proud of himself looking back. :D If this was 2003 has your son done any hill walking since?
monty

Postby Nige R » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:03 pm

He came with me several times over the last few months up our local Clwydian Hills when I was trying to get some fitness built up for my trip to Skye in June - see my recent posts - he said during those that he would like to go again, I suggested we would do something easy like Cairnwell / Devils Elbow area, will try and talk him into it come his summer hols. If weather stays good he will probably be up for it. We went to Newtonmore last summer and the weather was dreadful , I went up Monadh Liath on my own he didn't fancy it given what we had seen of the weather pattern, as it turned out I had the best days weather of the trip - also posted by the way.Have also tried getting him to Snowdonia which is only an hour away, watch this space - will post photos if/when it happens.
Nige R

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Have you all considered selling your children for medical experiments? Think of the peace and quiet afterwards - and the financial rewards too. You could afford that new pair of boots, a nice new jacket, probably a holiday too. And you wont have to put up with all that whining...Medical experiments - the way of the future!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sloosh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Have you all considered selling your children for medical experiments?

I tried that once. Who knew there was a law against it?! Drat mobile phones and childline. :roll:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Nige R » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:45 pm

Alas I think they would be returned PDQ , we did have them for sale on E- bay but had no takers, even Madonna was not interested
Nige R

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:32 am

Dye them black, she'll have them...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland