walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair Variant

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair Variant

Postby johnstuartross » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 09/02/2011

Distance: 22.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair via Coire Garbhlach

My favourite, more challenging, way of climbing Mullach Clach a'Bhlair is to walk from Achlean to Allt Garbhlach (NN 851954) and follow the burn into Coire Garbhlach ('Garbhlach' means 'rough' and it is). There is no footpath marked on OS map, but there is a track which leads past a waterfall into the upper corrie.

The easiest exit from the upper corrie is via a short scramble up the left-hand gully at NN 886944. Walk around the lip of the corrie to pick up the Landrover track, following it west to a junction at NN 882936 - the summit of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair is 950m due south.

From the top of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair descend westward down the Druim nam Bo (Ridge of the Cattle) to Lochan nam Bo. Pick-up the the old stalkers' path that leads down north-west to the bothy at Ruigh Aitieachan. An easy, but quite beautiful path leads along the east side of the Feshie to Achlean. There used to be a trestle bridge at Carnachuin, but sadly this wonderful Victorian monument was swept away in floods in 2009.

Total distance : 22.5 km
johnstuartross

Munros:14   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5

Re: Mullach Clach a'Bhlair Variant

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Always fancied this route - Coire Garbhlach is such an obvious landmark from the A9. When I "bagged" MCaB, it was in combination with Sgor Gaoith and I remember looking down into the corrie with interest.

As Glen Feshie is one of my favourite places in the world, this route looks like a great excuse to return :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gaffr » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:25 am

I didn't read this report from the past until now. :)
I would agree that this is a much more sporting way to reach the high ground of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair. As is the approach from the Sgorans as a combined trip. Many have said that the summit is perhaps not a great reward for trudging up the estate Land Rover type road to reach the top. I think that I would feel greatly underwhelmed by travelling by this route. ..... can't see myself, as long as the legs allow, ever going up or down by this way. However whatever the way up to it the rewards of looking across the great moss Eastwards are grand.
If folks use the bulldozed highway at least descend by the fine old stalkers track that takes you almost the door of of Ruigh Aiteachan Bothy. :D
In support of the old paths on the hills. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:45 am

I've been up on Mullach Clach a'Bhlair with the bike. Only Munro I've taken the bike right to the cairn. A track goes from there into the plateau stopping at the burn near Tom Dubh. It's a great area. :D
Sunset tripper

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland