walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way

West Highland Way

Postby Billymaca » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 25/04/2009

Distance: 154 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked the WHW in late April as usual.
Milngavie to Millarochy campsite on day 1, millarochy campsite to Beinglass campsite on day 2, Beinglass campsite to Bridge of Orchy on day 3, Bridge of Orchy to Kings house hotel on day 4, Kings house hotel to Kinlochleven on day 5, Kinlochleven to Fort Billy on the 6th day. Supported by AMS bag carrying service.
Billymaca
Scrambler

Re: West Highland Way

Postby xpfloyd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Well in mate. Im walking it for the first time this May

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby Billymaca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

Hi Eddie,
Good for you mate, If this is your first time you will love it, as the walk progresses the scenery becomes more and more dramatic, lots of places to replenish and it’s a very sociable walk.
All the best for May, Billymaca. P.S. the devils staircase isn't as bad as it sounds, but the down hill into Kinlochleven is sore on the tootsies.
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 pm

I tried it in May a couple of years ago; unfortunately there had been unusually warm weather through April, and the midgies were out in full force. Bad news, as I was patriotically decked out in my kilt... take midgie repellant just in case!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Billymaca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Gaberfeidh,
A couple of years ago in May I met two lads with Kilts on at Ptarmigan lodge setting off to do the low track while I took the easy high road, if that was you you’ve aged some or you’ve had a hard paper round going by your picture !!!!P.S I noticed the wild goats had a glint in their eyes as you passed them with your bare arses !
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby steven65 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:59 am

Hi Billymaca ,
i`m doing it this year for the 1st time & thoroughly looking forward to it !
Setting out on Tue 3 May 7 & finishing on Sat 7 May , along with 2 mates who`ve both done it 3 times before.
I`m doing it as a sponsored event for CHAS - Rachel & Robin House(s) - where my wife works as a nurse.
As i`m a Funeral Director there`s a sort of kindered linking to CHAS - a trully deserving charity which i`m happy to be supporting.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:24 am

Two of us, both in our late 50's did it over 8 days in 2009. We chose early May, statistically the driest time of year and it rained every day, with days 4,5 & 6 being coninuous rain. In the last two days we had gale force winds, rain, sleet & snow, as well as some sun on the last day. We were well supported by AMS, but met some lads at Inversnaid hotel who were trying to do it in 4 days, carrying 60lb loads. Their feet were in tatters, with skin coming off in strips - we gave them our spare compeed plasters, but it was probably too late. Great camaraderie among walkers all along the Way, who were all soaked to the skin, even with expensive gear - oddly enough, my cheap Keela jacket remained waterproof.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Walked WHW in late June last year and got fantastic weather, shorts and tee- shirts most of the way. Midges weren't too bad, really just noticed them at the forested area as you leave Kinlochleven. Avon's Skin so Soft was very effective. We did it in 5 days, which is quite do- able. Everything about it was fantastic except for Beinnglas Farm. Very noisy and rowdy, police were there 3 times on the night that we stayed. Avoid if you can!!!

Doing it all again this year but taking 7 days this time, want to spend more time looking around rather than just walking and sleeping!!!! :D
pollyh33

Postby Scotsman2012 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Everything about it was fantastic except for Beinnglas Farm. Very noisy and rowdy, police were there 3 times on the night that we stayed. Avoid if you can!!!

Was it a Saturday night you were there?

I've done the walk 6 times and the only time it was a wee bit noisier was last year when I was there on a Saturday night. Can't complain about any other time I've been there. First time I stopped there, it was just the farmhouse and we were the only tent in the wee field out the back! No shop, bar, cabins or wigwams! :D

I also done the walk last year in June and it's the best weather I've had, only one short shower on Day 2. The year before, my boots didn't dry out from the first day and the wee streams running off the hills were like raging torrents!
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Scotsman2012 wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Everything about it was fantastic except for Beinnglas Farm. Very noisy and rowdy, police were there 3 times on the night that we stayed. Avoid if you can!!!

Was it a Saturday night you were there?

I've done the walk 6 times and the only time it was a wee bit noisier was last year when I was there on a Saturday night. Can't complain about any other time I've been there. First time I stopped there, it was just the farmhouse and we were the only tent in the wee field out the back! No shop, bar, cabins or wigwams! :D

I also done the walk last year in June and it's the best weather I've had, only one short shower on Day 2. The year before, my boots didn't dry out from the first day and the wee streams running off the hills were like raging torrents!

Yes it was a Saturday night!!! Blooming chaos!! It was a real shame because we stayed in the cabins and they were fantastic!! They were so beautifully kitted out- 4 star hotel quality. However, that means nothing when all you want to do is sleep! We done such a hard (but enjoyable) 21 mile walk that day and we didnt appreciate the live music until 12am and the ensuing mayhem that followed. Breakfast the next day was fine but I've never been happier to leave a place behind!! Okay rant over!!! :lol:
pollyh33

Postby GillC » Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi,,just returned from my first venture up the WHW,
Stopped at Balmaha, Inversnaid, Crianlarich, Bridge of Orchy then Kinlochleven,,,only got rain on day 5 which was actually quite welcome by that time, day 6 back to fine and dry. Only slightly dodgy experience was the West Highland Way Sleeper bunkhouse at B of O, owners slightly the worse for wear and were in a loud argument with other boarders outside our bunkroom late at night.

Otherwise,,fantastic experience,,,did the first 3 days on my own with some friends joining me for days 4-6. Only one wee blister on my big toe on day 4 so my research into blister prevention paid off. The weather helped too Im sure.

Thoroughly recommend giving this a go,,I also used AMS for my luggage transfer which was a great service and a very reasonable price.

Well done all.

Gill
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 am

I got great weather too. Had unbroken sun for the first four days, a bit of thicker cloud afternoon of the fifth, back to sun 6th day, cloud on the 7th with rain at the end of the day and cloud and light rain (as in still in t-shirts) on the 8th! I took it really easy, stopped each night at Drymen, Rowardennan, Inversnaid, Glen Falloch, Tyndrum, Kingshouse, Kinlochleven, Fort William.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes