walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

* Warning - Sun In Glen Shiel - Warning *

* Warning - Sun In Glen Shiel - Warning *

Postby yokehead » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maol chinn-dearg

Date walked: 10/02/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 727m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g50.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My friend Mark has joined me in Kintail for a few days, he'd travelled on the rail red-eye special 12 hours from Euston to Inverness where I picked him up at 8.30am. Not much sleep for him with, it appeared, hardly any heating and with types using their mobile phone at 2am. Can it really be that important? I'd enjoyed my early 90 minute drive to Inverness and guess what, it was clear - no rain or cloud!

Back in Glen Shiel our original plan given Mark's journey was to have had an easy day, maybe just a couple of hours walk somewhere. But with the great weather he'd brought (what a lucky **** when it's been lousy weather this past week!) and itching to get into the snow, he asked if there was a fast route to the peaks. . About 3km down the glen from the Cluanie Inn there's a stalker's path up the ridge to the Munro Maol Chinn-dearg. So we had some breakfast, Mark sorted his gear and we set off up the glen to park in the layby just opposite the start of the path.

We started out at midday and soon eased into the walk, taking it at an enjoyable leisurely pace. What a day and what a superb path! It seems to effortlessly lift you onto the ridge, what a difference from grass and heather bashing when you have to create your own route. At first we were in shade but were soon onto the first flatter grassy part and back into the sun. The views were staggeringly good in all directions with plenty of snow on the sheltered north slopes but fast disappearing from southern aspects. It was here that I found I'd left the camera in the car, what a fool again! So I had to use the phone camera instead.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The ridge rises gently for about 1km and the snow cover increased from about halfway along. We aimed for the top of the first steeper section where we stopped to put on crampons and get out the axes, the snow having changed to a much firmer type in a short distance. The ridge narrows at this point and there was a good band of perfect neve up to a small rock tower ahead, out of the sun again here.

10.jpg

The route goes over the top of this, no problems, in fact trying to go around either side would lead to steep slopes. After this we were back in the sun again, although the air had quite a bite to it even with little wind. Ahead there were a series of short rises and small level patches, the snow continued to be perfect for cramponing and was a real joy to walk on.

11.jpg

12.jpg

We could see more of the ridge to the east and west, corniced and dramatic in the corries.

13.jpg

14.jpg

At the top of these rises there's a final slope to the summit of the Munro and the small cairn where the views beyond just took our breath away! Words aren't good enought to describe it.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Eventually we headed down to the west, making use of the great snow again alongside the cornice although the south side was very wind-scoured with little snow remaining.

21.jpg

It was a simple case of following the ridge edge along to the top Sgurr Coire na Feinne and the start of the descent ridge. We stopped for some more photos before starting down.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

The first part of the ridge is steep and there is, I think, a path down the rocks on the right. But to the left of this there was more excellent snow to get us down to where the angle eased. This is another fun ridge, full of interest and with great views into the corries and cliff faces on either side.

28.jpg

A final look at the ridge in the setting sun as we made our way back to the car.

29.jpg

31.jpg

This is a great half day outing, highly recommended!
Last edited by yokehead on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: * Warning - Sun In Glen Shiel - Warning *

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 pm

OoOoOo, I like the phone camera pics :)

Excellent 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Fantastic - both the report and the photo's.... thank whoever for mobile phone cameras eh - loved this, thanks for posting :D :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:20 pm

:twisted: sun, you mean it still exists :twisted: ?

Wouldn't mind seeing just a bit myself :? . Anyhoo... great report and cracking pictures. Looks like you had a memorable day out :D . As for the sleeper - I think it just depends on the individual. I've done it with the missus and I had 8 hours unbroken sleep and she had 1 hour sleep and 7 hours cursing me for booking it :oops: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby alanmurray » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Lucky guys!!
Fantastic conditions and great shots - mobiles have great cameras nowadays - couldn't fail with these views.

Passed these hills many times on the way to Skye - on my to do list this year - hopefully wild camp on the tops of these gorgeous buggers!

Cheers for the report
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:33
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:30 am

well I was jealous enough after reading soulminer's report but this takes the biscuit - cracking stuff :thumbup: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:19 am

Thursday weather strikes again! I vowed to take a thursday off to get into the hills but instead I was looking at this through the office window :twisted:

I keep meaning to do more of these hills in twos and threes - there's so many nice ridges and stalker's paths that drop off into Glen Shiel and they make good short days out. Great report 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby blueyed » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:20 pm

sun..?? what was that..???
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Stunning set of pics there
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Lovely pictures you have there :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 pm

seeing double GLW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland