walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach

Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach

Postby Stretch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 12/02/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1172m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the hope of 'clearing' clouds and snow in the forecast Gammy Leg Walker and I met in Perth and drove up to Loch Laggan to do two of the less popular hills in the area. With clouds and rain having been constant from St Andrews it was good to see the early morning sun from layby for Beinn a'Chairainn and Beinn Teallach. It seemed as though we might get lucky with the weather today. We set off up the forest track at 9:15 and survived the boggy fire-break that leads out onto the hillside. From there it was a plod and a half up over Meall Clachaig and the up the lower southwestern slope of Beinn a'Chaorainn. The snow was fairly deep in places which zapped our energy with every step. From the pic below you can see how deep it was by the look on Gammy's face on one of his many tumbles. It seemed to take forever to get to the top, even though it was only 2 hours and 40 mins. Sadly the blue sky had vanished about 3/4 of the way up and we navigated by gps for pretty much the rest of the day until we got back below the clouds. At the summit there were loads of climbers who had come up the coire on the eastern slope. Most of them followed our footsteps back down, but only after one asked 'Is this a munro?' :?

After a lunch break it was off down the ridge to the bealach. The gps was pretty helpful here, but I couldn't keep Gammy off his arse. He spent a lot of time looking at the sky today :lol: After my own tumble I put the microspikes on and carried on, and even though Gammy was dying to try his crampons they really weren't needed - a bit more ice and we both would have had them on. At the bealach we took a break and then made our way up the snowy ridge to Beinn Teallach. I was feeling pretty good at that point and the microspikes were handy. Gammy had a look of disdain on his face from time to time and I can only imagine he was cursing American at a few points :lol:

Most of the hill was covered in cloud but it did thin out a bit at the top. There are two summit cairns at the top, we touched both but neither of us could determine which was the highest. After more soup and coffee we used the gps to get back below the cloud as we made the easy descent off Beinn Teallach. I say easy, but I mean easy for those of us who stayed upright most of the way down :lol: Once down we crossed the stream and continued along the nasty bog ridden path back to the forest track. We were both glad to see the car. Today's walk felt much longer than 10 miles. We discussed stopping for a pint on the way back to Perth, but instead we both agreed that McDonalds seemed like a better option. It was a tough day for the most part, but we still enjoyed it and we both agreed that doing this walk in winter is the only way to go.

Many thanks to Gammy for the company and the Big Mac.

Mmmmmmm Big Mac

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stob Coire Easain.jpg

Fog in the glen near Loch Laggan dam.jpg

Beinn a'Chaorainn - this could be good.jpg

Beinn a'Chaorainn - still looks promising.jpg

Clouds closing in on Beinn a'Chaorainn.jpg

The last of the blue sky on Beinn a'Chaorainn.jpg

The first of Gammys many spills.jpg

Gammy coming off Beinn a'Chaorainn.jpg

Beinn Teallach from the bealach.jpg

Are we there yet Stretch.jpg

Nearing the top of Beinn Teallach.jpg

Me at one of the two Beinn Teallach cairns.jpg

Gammy on Beinn Teallach.jpg

The best view from either summit.jpg

The long walk out.jpg

Two seconds before Gammy submerged his boots.jpg

A little blue sky for the walk out.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach

Postby malky_c » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:08 am

Like the inversion at the start - doesn't look like a bad day despite the lack of views from the summits themselves. Mushy snow can be a bit tedious though :roll:

I did these a loooong time ago, when I was 14 and just getting the Munro bug. I can't remember anything whatsoever about Beinn Teallach, but Beinn a'Chaorainn will always stick in my mind as the first Munro I did on my own. I met the rest of my family at the col between the two and we all went up Beinn Teallach.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 am

Hi stretch,great photos and report. A pint and a bigmac would have been btr haha, Gammy buying both would be a challenge though haha only joking m8 great stuff
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Another fine post mate,even though we had no views still really enjoyed these two buggers,found them tough in all that snow,but at least you made me fell better when you had to stop as much as me on the way up :lol: .it may look to you that I kept stumbling or falling over but this was my secret and cunning plan to take more rest without it being obvious :lol: :lol:
Anyway big fella great day out again.PS GLAD TO SEE YOU ARE NOT A LIGHT WEIGHT.(LARGE BIG MAC MEAL AND A CHEESE BURGER NICE ONE ) :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby davgil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Good report Stretch!

I guess we were all a little disappointed that the clouds didn't clear as well as expected on Saturday.
Still, can't win them all and sounds like you both had a good day anyway.

David
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Stretch,

Yip! another fine report and good pic's. I must remember Gammy's falling down trick.

Regards.....................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby kinley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Fine report and pics Stretch 8)

Some pretty moody shots there.

Having Buster Keaton in the foreground adds to the interest in the pics :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Good one - like the changes in the weather. Certainly better than the thick clag which is what I remember (barely!) of these...
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Cheers guys! Paul, do you remember there being 2 summit cairns on Beinn Teallach? Any idea which is highest, we didn't think to check the gps.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Love the inversion shots at the beginning and you've captured the differing weather conditions :D - can't have been easy holding the camera steady and laughing at the same time :lol:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alan S » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Fine report there mate looks like you 2 had another good day 8)
Im jealous of missing this day for 2 reasons:
1.Missing a day out with you guys
2.Seeing gammy leg falling so much :lol:

Stretch, you always write up good reports and your pics rate among some of the best on this site,but theres something about this pic which is by far the best i have seen on here,for some reason it just does it for me

Gammy examining the snow crystals.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks Alan and rockhopper . . . I only chuckled after I heard Gammy chuckle as he tried to get up each time. :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland