walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binsey

Binsey

Postby Derek T » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:30 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey

Date walked: 13/02/2011

Time taken: 1

Distance: 4.3 km

Ascent: 273m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Binsey was the first of four Wainwrights bagged on my first serious day out on the hills in 2011.

This was a last-minute plan to visit the Lakes, en route from Aberdeen to home in Chesterfield, and a good opportunity to knock-off a few of the smaller and relatively isolated hills on a very wet and windy day.

My full day out is recorded in these threads:

My route up Binsey was from a layby on the A591 (Keswick to Carlisle) via West Crag.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The layby is about half a kilometer to the north of Bewaldeth and is sign-posted "North Lakes Camping and Caravan Park". The public footpath to Binsey is just a few yards back down the road towards Bewaldeth and is easily spotted as an avenue of trees heading across the fields towards the hill.

Free Parking off the A591.jpg

Lane from the A591 just north of Bewaldeth.jpg

After passing through a gate in the fell wall I followed the sheep tracks up past an old quarry and then picked-up a farmer's track just to the left of the base of West Crag. This track goes all the way to the base of the summit and beyond.

The track to Binsey summit.jpg

Binsey Summit.jpg

Those who fancy a longer walk can go off the hill in various directions and make a circular route back to the car via various lower hills or local roads. But, as it was chucking it down with rain and I had other hills to bag I turned around and went back the way I came.

About half way down the rain eased off and the sky brightened a little so I got this shot of West Crag in better light...

West Crag on Binsey.jpg

This is a pretty uninspiring grassy mound but on a good day it gives a view over the Solway Firth to Scotland and good views towards the northern fells.

Back in the car and off to Dodd.
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland