walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not Carn Mairg

Not Carn Mairg

Postby andyfitz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 12/02/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan for Saturday was to head for Glen Lyon and walk the Carn Mairg horseshoe

The Plan -
1. Pack bag - check
2. Look out the relevant map - check
3. Check out a few reports on WH - check
4. Decide how many and which dogs to take - check
5.Fuel the Landy and stow tow rope, shovel etc - check
6. Get out of bed in Airdrie at 9.15am - no no no no no

Should have been 6am, what with the 2 hour plus drive ahead. Anyway, everything was packed
the night before so I was on the road by 9.30ish.
Made great progress to Loch Tay via Killin. Conditions on the Loch Tay to Glen Lyon road appeared good.
003.jpg
The attachment 003.jpg is no longer available

However, shortly after the section of road pictured below, conditions became, well....really quite poor.

005.jpg
The attachment 005.jpg is no longer available

The road was apparently impassable - deep snow and no vehicle tracks. Stopped and had a think about what to do. A chap in a small 4x4 arrived behind me and encouraged me to give it a go - so as he could follow behind in my tracks. A few hundred meters down the road I looked in my rear view mirror to discover he had progressed all of 10 feet and was trying to dig himself out. On the basis he seemed a decent sort I reversed and attached a tow rope and pulled him out and along the road a bit. ( A vindication, I feel of my one man "buy British" campaign).

By the time I got down to Bridge of Balgie the Carn Mairg round was out of the question. I decided to head along to Meall Buidhe as a quicker alternative.

Just before the dam, beside a large Estate sign and map, a Land Rover track climbs and veers left and parallel with the Loch.
006.jpg
The attachment 006.jpg is no longer available

The track was, rather unpleasantly, stained, for several hundred yards, by the blood of some poor beast.

When the track was roughly parallel with the dam at the end of the loch I left it for the boggy, snow covered, tussocky pathless hillside.

Visibility was extremely poor. I suspect that the usual route kind of heads up the corrie and accesses the ridge from there. I decided to take a somewhat steeper and more direct route. This did not impress the dugs one bit.
008.jpg
The attachment 008.jpg is no longer available

011.jpg
The attachment 011.jpg is no longer available

Once up there visibility was......actually there was none. I was starting to think that the MWIS guess of up to 70% chance of cloud free Munros was optimistic. The only point of interest in my photographs from here on in was the mark on the lens of my camera phone.
016.jpg
The attachment 016.jpg is no longer available

About 20 minutes from the summit I met a couple of guys who were on the way down. Stopped for a chat. They had a young Staffordshire Terrier who was quite obviously having the time of his life in the snow. I like Staffies a lot but have never considered them as a potential hill walking dog. Shows what I know. Unfortunately I now want one. Persuading the family that dog number 6 is a good idea might be tough!

Reaching the summit took a bit longer than I had anticipated - about 2 hours. Decided to have a quick sandwich and drink and put a bit of a trot on on the way down. In my haste I forgot to have a fag at the summit. For me this means it doesn't really count and I'll have to do it again

Putting a bit of a trot on meant that on several occasions I ended up thigh deep in snow and on one occasion waist deep in a boggy puddle that had been covered in snow. Back to the car in about 45 minutes. Absolutely drookit and claggered in mud. Luckily there was no-one in the vicinity at that point. A full change of clothes was required immediately. The sight of a baldy, heavily tattooed, slightly overweight middle-aged man in his boxers standing in Glen Lyon would have put any innocent by-stander off the great outdoors forever. In fact I'm sure I noticed on of the local deer wretch a bit and resolve to stay away from people from then on.

Anyhow. A decent enough wee walk. A bit thin on route description but I find it difficult to describe what I can't see. More to follow when I go back to have my summit fag.
Last edited by andyfitz on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Re: Not Carn Mairg

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm

The poor visibility appears to have affected your TR as well Andy! I cannae see any pics! At least it wisnae just me who had an "interesting, no quite according to plan day" this weekend then...... :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby andyfitz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Sorry. Dont know what happened there. Each photo took eternity to load then didn't appear. Took eternity to re-load but now here. Now have time to catch your report Graeme!
andyfitz

Postby kinley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 pm

:shock: Some nasty looking driving there. :shock:

It's a shame about the views - Meall Buidhe is a phenomenally beautiful viewpoint.

If you'll excuse the shocking manners - check it out
kinley

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Sounds like it could have been great day out with different weather and no blood splattered snow! I'll definitely give it a go in a few months time. I'd hate to drive all that way and then have to turn around because the road was impassable! Thanks for such an eventful report!
pollyh33

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Andyfitz,your avatar does not do you justice(baldy,tatooed,overweight) :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby andyfitz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 pm

That photo was taken a few years ago. Just before I discovered drink :lol:
andyfitz

Postby yokehead » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 pm

An epic day, one to be remembered. There's nothing quite like a fag at the summit, enjoy it when you return. No more for me now though. That road over the pass is great but we got stuck there just by the dam a couple of years back, some handily-placed walkers helped dig us out with their ice axes :D

We were lucky with the weather on our Meall Buidhe trip although it was damn cold. We certainly didn't find it boring as some people have found.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Alan S » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 pm

andyfitz wrote:That photo was taken a few years ago. Just before I discovered drink :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Good report mate, well done
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 pm

:D Not much to see, but amusing as ever!

Worrying now as I'd planned a trip down Glen Lyon on Friday. Hopefully a bit of warmer weather before then should see the road up the glen clear at least.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 am

The track was, rather unpleasantly, stained, for several hundred yards, by the blood of some poor beast.

Lets hope is was a beast :shock: Great report, shame about the weather but great to see the dogs out enjoying the hills.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:34 am

Cool report

Looked scarey that road, :shock:

Lovely dogs you have, Andyfitz :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland