walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mr Blue Skye

Mr Blue Skye

Postby yokehead » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 15/02/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 954m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g54.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sun is shinin' in the sky
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped rainin'.........

So the weather forecast promised and as it turned out to be when I opened the curtains. After yesterday's epic I really should have had a rest day but with today promised as the best weather for the rest of the week, what could I do? I didn't fancy the thought of soft snow-bashing however. On Sunday when me and Mark had our day off, we took a drive to Skye. Clouds were on the tops but we did see a bit. We went to Sligachan. Must say I was underwhelmed by the place. I suppose I've read too many accounts of climbers there in the 30's, somehow I was expecting the location to be a bit more remote, with the grand old bridge and Inn. Wasn't expecting it to be on the main road and the newer bridge. Probably what sealed it though is that the Inn is closed for the winter - renovations. So not the meal and drink that we'd planned, disaster!

We did motor over to Elgol though, a great drive on a single track road and a superb view up Loch Scavaig. Best of all is the way Bla Bheinn hits you with its magnificence when it suddenly comes into view heading toward Torrin. So, for today it was back to Skye for me - less risk of Cluanie-type cloud I thought plus a shorter expedition distance-wise. I was later setting off than I'd have liked because I had no map so got one from the outdoor shop in Dornie. Headed out to Skye, there'd been a sharp frost overnight and the roads leading into Broadford were quite icy. Gritters were out though and the strong sun was doing its work. On our visit on the 13th, Bla Bheinn looked like this.

0.jpg

On the Elgol road, as I came to little Loch Cill Chriosd, I was greeted by this though.

4.jpg

I hadn't expected that there'd be this much snow, what a bonus! There's so many good places to see and photograph this mountain as you approach, I made quite a few stops to do so and didn't get walking until 10.30. There were 2 vehicles parked in the car park, it'll be strange if I actually meet someone on the mountain! I'm not a sun-worshipper (just as well on given my hill trips) but it was just grand to stroll up the path in the calm air and warm sun, a real suntrap for a while. A bit of birdsong, something else I haven't heard in the mountains this past 2 weeks. The path is narrow at first and in a couple of places goes right on the edge of the little gorge and its tumbling stream and waterfalls.

8.jpg

Past the thick heather the path becomes a bit more rocky. It was covered in ice, I was amazed how icy it was at this low level compared to the heights of the Glen Shiel ridge of yesterday. Gradually gaining height there's another waterfall reached a little before the path turns left and crosses the stream. Your objective looms large and looks impregnable from this angle, unless you're a rock climber. At one point the noise of the stream faded behind and all became hushed except for the gentle trickle of melt-water as it ran beneath the ice on the path.

10.jpg

A look back to the way I'd come, Loch Slapin and Torrin in the distance with the Glen Shiel mountains beyond.

13.jpg

As you turn into the lower corrie the outlook changes, with a view to the small bealach on the south ridge at the head.

16.jpg

Out of the vegetation, just rock ahead now. There was a section of iced slabs that I skirted, and now some snow. Footsteps in the snow showed that yes, someone alse was indeed about. I decided to take a detour up over the scree to near the cliff-edge to have a closer look at some of the gullies. Great boulder-filled things cutting well into the rock. I continued on a rising traverse near the rock along what were maybe sheep tracks, although one section was very pronounced as perhaps a path. A climb down into the rubble bed of exit gullies and a climb up the other side.

18.jpg

Now at 400m and a view over to Loch Fionna-choire between the south ridge and An Stac.

24.jpg

I got back onto the path and went all the way up to take a look at Great Gully and the gap between the north and south tops. I was tempted to go to the south ridge bealach, up to the south top and over to the north. It looks a superb proposition but I reminded myself that I'm tired!

28.jpg

Up to the right instead, and the gully described in WH came into view. Up this monstrosity, not too bad really although I got out of it on the left as soon as I could onto rock/grass/snow.

35.jpg

Staggeringly good views back - now above the height of An Stac.

34.jpg

The slope opens out after the gully, I moved over to the right for the views of the rock architecture.

44.jpg

46.jpg

And this out to Rum, getting hazy with high cloud now and lower cloud forming just above the top.

40.jpg

I moved up to a large cairn that marks the route on to Clach Glas (and the head of a vertical gully). Just beyond this I spotted 4 guys coming down, I headed over toward them and we stopped for a quick hello, they'd climbed Great Gully and told me I'd find it hard to tear myself away from the views at the top (I found out on the interweb that they were from Skye Guides). I got the crampons on and axe out now, the snow was suddenly much harder and surprisingly excellent to walk on even with the covering of new soft snow. The wind suddenly strenghtened and it felt bitterly cold, I braced myself against it to avoid being blown down a nearby gully. I should have learned from yesterday and had some food, feeling weary now, but wanted to get to the top before the weather closed in.

To the left at the top where there's the choice of the gully on the right or rocks on the left, I chose the latter since the guys had left a convenient trail. If you slipped far down the small gully shown, you'd be funnelled to the right into a much bigger gully!

49.jpg

Over the easy rocks and the cairn with trig point were soon in sight, with everything satisfyingly covered in rime ice.

54.jpg

I've read the various walker's reports on WH about the different ways of climbing Bla Bheinn. I can say that doing it this way, waiting for that first sight of the Black Cuillin, probably can't be beaten for a first time since you're in suspense - you see the summit gubbins first then, just a few steps on, keeping it right to the last, this hits you, no words necessary......

55.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

66.jpg

Stunning as it was, disappointingly it was no place to stop for a bite, just too cold now and fingers already going numb. Shame I wasn't a bit earlier, maybe I shouldn't have spent time exploring, so down it was following the earlier tracks. I descended rapidly and had food at last when I stopped to take crampons off. Another rapid descent, surpisingly the scree and icy path proving to be no problem. What more could you want after a day like this, except this scene with a low sun glowing as I made my way back along the road to Broadford.

87.jpg

And this last look back to the bridge to Skye.

92.jpg

Nearly 100 photos taken, it was that sort of day.

Mister Bluuuuuue Skyyyyyye.........

Lyrics Jeff Lynne, ELO
Last edited by yokehead on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Mr Blue Skye

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Brilliant, what a day after your weekend adventures :)

Shame you couldn't stop for lunch at the top.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby stoyks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Wow!

Fantastic pictures. Really jealous. Skye in all its beautiful glory! 8)
stoyks
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Cracking stuff yokehead - you're having a whale of a time ! :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 pm

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: Climbed this one nearly 18 months ago when on holiday with all my family,and had briliant views all the way until 1/2 before the tp,and then saw hee-haw from then on in,but still loved every single moment
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm

That makes me very jelous. Great shots and a great day out by the looks of it :)

A hill to go back to for sure.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby yokehead » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes go back on a good day, certainly is a hill worth more than the 1 visit. Seems there's many routes on offer as well as those views. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Penguin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Wow! Amazing report and photos! So :sick: - wish I was there!

Great report though. :D

Pengy
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Nice. Very nice indeed. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Fantastic photo's and a great report, its a pity it was too cold to enjoy a bite at the summit, what a summit view. There's no wonder you took 100 pics. Enjoyed seeing em and reading the report, thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby davetherave » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 am

What a cracking week you have had by the sound of it. I have enjoyed reading of your adventures during the week.

Thanks Dave.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby jonny616 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 am

Glad you finaly had a good day weather-wise, but i am a tad jealous

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland