walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Bros, a Ciste and a Wee Cor....

3 Bros, a Ciste and a Wee Cor....

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Ciste Dhubh, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 12/02/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 16.4 km

Ascent: 2064m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend was spent with the Scottish Hillwalkers - Brothers Ridge/Ciste Dubh/Am Bathach the targets :)
The last 3 outings i've had in Kintail have been spectacular, i was hoping for more of the same 8)

Due to a head on car crash near Luss (A82) it took 6 hours to reach the Kintail Lodge - we arrived at 11pm. We heard nothing more of the crash victims, hope there ok. We had a beer in the KL and it was decided that we would seperate into 2 groups of 10 for the walk. Group 1 starting at 7.30am and group 2 8am, group1 would not take in the Corbett Am Bathach - thankfully i was in group 2 :)

We arrived at Cluanie car park at and set off at 8.15pm. We would be doing this walk East to West which meant starting with Am Bathach

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We headed North up the well defined path for a 100M before striking NE and crossing the Allt A Chaoriann Bhig. I was last to cross and noticed my mate Stevie wasn't with us :shock: Surely he couldn't have got lost leaving the car park :? I couldn't phone him as i left my phone at KL!! We discussed options and decided that Stevie had probably headed along the path and would reach the other group at the Bealach a Choinich.

We started the steep ascent of Am Bathach which soon got the blood pumping :)
Views SE to Loch Cluanie

It wasn't long till on the ridge at 734M. A gradual 64M climb over 1km took us to the summit of Am Bathach at 798, the clag was thick and soft snow underfoot - for a Corbett this was a tough start!!.

We didn't hang around and made our way to the bealach and North to Ciste Dubh

Looking back to Am Bathach

The views appeared, and just as quickly went, as we started to spread out heading to CD.

Looking back along the start of the ridge for CD

It was then the 1st group started to pass us - they summited CD and were heading to Munro 2. "have you seen Stevie"? No was the reply, but did i see the helicopter lifting a guy with a red jacket - WTF :shock: It was this point Stevie came smiling over the ridge. He was sorting his gear and missed the team talk. He thought the 1st group was us and headed to them, he couldn't believe how fast we where going....dafty :lol:

Soon the top of CD was in view and the last ascent to reach it - it looked awesome :D
I decided to stick on the crampons as the ridge was narrow in parts and the drop either side was uber steep :shock: -this provided much needed confidence :)

Final ascent to CD

The ascent to CD lived up to my expectations and provided magnifecent views back to Am Bathack and East to MFC.

I managed to test the HD video mode on the new camera - vids at end of TR :wink:

So it was back down to the bealach and we headed SW to firstly reach the top of Sgurr an Fhurail before heading West to munro number 2 - Aonach Meadhoin. The next few hours would presented thick clag, snow storms and poor visibility - brilliant :D . You begin to feel the sense of adventure now :) . I met and had a good chat to Ron and Graeme from Inverness - we discussed the addictive qualities of hillwalking....thank goodness we didn't fall into that category :? :shock: :lol: Took a quick photo of the guys and wished them well.

After reaching Aonach Meadhoin we made our way to Munro 3 - Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg

How not to do an ice axe self arrest....

The last 50M of SBD was enjoyable, it was narrow with steep sides, and took you to a large pointy cairn which seemed to be balancing on the tip of the ridge.

By now what was left of the 2 groups had joined as one. Malcolm, who led group 2, had to abandon the walk and support a fellow walker down who had done his knee in. 2 other walkers had steemed ahead and would finish an hour ahead of the group. The pace slowed down as another walker had cramp, but he bravely soldiered on and finished the walk.

So what was left of the group made tracks West for the final Munro - Saileag

Soon the awe of the Five Sisters came into view, thankfully we now had clear views and the sun was shining.

We all got to the top safely and hung around for a bit taking in the breathtaking views.
Some of us so happy we danced.... :D

Yours truly with the sisters behind me

We headed West to Bealach na lapain then south, the descent was very steep. I had remembered this from last year as i ascended it to start the Five Sisters.

We got in the cars and headed back to KL. We all showered, changed and enjoyed some great food, beer and banter into the wee small hours. Drove home on Sunday.

This was another fantastic outing with the Scottish Hillwalkers.

Below is a slideshow and 3 short HD vids i took with the new TZ10 - enjoy :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BST-K-pwPkg&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjE2iJgHJQ&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYH90MpYkE&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW7wvPh3noM&hd=1[/youtube]
Last edited by dooterbang on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: 3 Bros, a Ciste and a Wee Cor....

Postby malky_c » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Saturday looked like a good day out up here - should've gone out after all! Having seen the SHills reports from the Glencoe meet, I wasn't expecting much in the way of sunshine or views in your report. Quite a long day too...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

malky_c wrote:Saturday looked like a good day out up here - should've gone out after all! Having seen the SHills reports from the Glencoe meet, I wasn't expecting much in the way of sunshine or views in your report. Quite a long day too...

Was mixed weather Malky but had a good clear views at the right time. I'm always lucky up Kintail.

Day didn'y feel long as i was going at group pace :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby rocket-ron » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:30 pm

cracking report and pictures dooterbang looks like you had better views than us.

Nice to meet you :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Have to admit I'm rather jealous. Lovely stuff and some great pictures as usual dooterbang 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Another fine report doots,you are fairly toting up your count
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:00 pm

rocket-ron wrote:cracking report and pictures dooterbang looks like you had better views than us.

Nice to meet you :D

Thanks Ron.

Yeah we got lucky going East to West.

No doubt we will bump into each other on a hill one day :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another fine report doots,you are fairly toting up your count

Its the midlife crisis Gammy - the manapause :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Cracking report and very atmospheric photos. An army on the hills! :lol: You did real great in getting CG done as well as the Brothers, CD sure is some good-looking hill. 8)

Although you had mixed weather it was a lot better than over on the south ridge that day, seems that that side was creating its own clouds big time. Not the first day I saw better weather on the north side. Good for me to see some parts of the Brothers that were obscured in the clag, thanks! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 pm

yokehead wrote:Good for me to see some parts of the Brothers that were obscured in the clag, thanks! :D

No probs.

Enjoyed your reports also.

Glad you got good weather in Skye.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Oops, I'm sure I sent a reply earlier, must have gotten lost in the Paisley fog!!

Anyway, fantastic report!!! You should write thrillers! I read through your report really quickly first time because I had to find out what happened to your mate- bloody hell there's always one!! and its usually me!!

Sorry couldn't see your pics, probably because I'm on a PC at work, will have another look when I get home tomorrow morning.

Thanks again. :thumbup:
pollyh33

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:43 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Oops, I'm sure I sent a reply earlier, must have gotten lost in the Paisley fog!!

Anyway, fantastic report!!! You should write thrillers! I read through your report really quickly first time because I had to find out what happened to your mate- bloody hell there's always one!! and its usually me!!

Sorry couldn't see your pics, probably because I'm on a PC at work, will have another look when I get home tomorrow morning.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Reading reports whilst working :shock: I'm guessing your on a nightshift, ouch!!

You wouldn't lose the group in a car park, surely not :lol:

I think you will enjoy the photos and videos.

Don't get lost going home now :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 pm

Ha ha !

No chance of getting lost going from Paisley to Rutherglen, will be an automatic pilot!

I have gotten lost in a shopping mall in Paris once!!! It was really really big!!!
pollyh33

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Ha ha !

No chance of getting lost going from Paisley to Rutherglen, will be an automatic pilot!

I have gotten lost in a shopping mall in Paris once!!! It was really really big!!!

Paris is huge - i got lost reading the maps on the bus shelter, got my East and West confused :?

I work out of the Social Work building on King Street Rutherglen. I cover Cam/Glen. Community Addiction Worker with NHS...be giving myself councelling soon for this walkaholic thing!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby davetherave » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Dooterbang

Top trip report with cracking pics, a joy to read.
Will have to view pics on the pc at home.Not the same on a smart phone .

As for us, we have not got oot since julies fall on binnein mor. Injuries are taking longer to heal than we hoped for.

I'm hoping for a wee bothy trip over Saturday / Sunday, will now have to go and survey the weather reports.

Cheers again.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland