walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Malvern Hills

Malvern Hills

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Date walked: 05/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello, this Saturday we went to the Malvern Hills, first time for us all, strange since these are pre-Cambrian hills that have been there 650 million years :D The total length is about 9 miles and we parked a car at each end to make it a linear walk. There are 28 peaks, the highest being The Worcester Beacon at 425 metres, there are some great names; Perseverance Hill, Raggedstone, Sugar Loaf Hill and Pinnacle Hill. We started at the south climbing the Herefordshire Beacon, also known as British Camp as it once had a fort.
IMG_1823.jpg
British Camp

We then descended and set off North across the tops.
IMG_1824.jpg
Great views
IMG_1829.jpg
Reservoir
IMG_1833.jpg
Rolling hills
IMG_1837.jpg
Rollercoaster

Compared to what we were used to this was a bit of a jolly despite the heat and we were soon at the summit of Worcester Beacon which had a trig point.
IMG_1840.jpg
Worcester Beacon

Also there was a lovely capstan style sculpture with distance maps etc on top. This is both a modern and historic county top and a Marilyn.
IMG_1842.jpg
Gang on Worcester Beacon

A lovely warm dry day and as I said a jolly, look forward to next week as we won't be so lucky as to have two easy weeks running :lol: thanks Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Malvern Hills

Postby GarryH » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Brings back memories Sue, did the Malverns some years ago great views of the three counties show ground and
the M5 if memory serves me well.
GarryH

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Yes Garry,there was a show on yesterday, the area was so lovely with some quaint buildings, it made a change from scrambling :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:32 pm

They look really nice - think I'll have to finish Munroing first... never get further south than the Lakes nowadays!
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am

I think unless you live in the area then the hills are a one hit and they're done, how long are you in Scotland for MC? Hope you are fairing better than us, its gone cooler and rained hard for the last two days :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Not been to that area myself but it looks like a nice place to walk - or stroll along.

A bit more relaxed than some of your previous posts Sue thats for sure :lol:
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland