walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor & Beinn Heasgarnich

Creag Mhor & Beinn Heasgarnich

Postby jimandandrea » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 am

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 10/02/2011

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 25.3 km

Ascent: 1225m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In anticipation that this was going to be an epic for us and that we would spend most (all) of our daylight hours walking we thought it best that we set more than one alarm. The second one did it, and as we parted the curtains it was with some optimism that we felt the darkness above was in fact clear. By the time the flask was made, the porridge consumed, the car loaded with everything we could possibly need we were off in the darkness leaving our compact and bijou cottage in Killin and up Glen Lochay eventually reaching our start point at Kenknock. Actually, it would have been good to head up the track from there and park at the upper track but alas my car was not of the 'off road' variety and was not willing to inflict serious damage in pursuit of saving us 15 mins of walking. As we parked the skies were filling with the morning light and and the few heavy grey clouds were going away to annoy someone else.
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0315_edited-1.jpg
Ben Challum at the start of the walk

It isn't really very clear where you should park in order to be out of the Farmers (and other land users) way so we left it where we felt it was a 'least inconvenient to others' spot. We were off along the valley bottom and although the sun had not actually got to us yet we were resolved that it soon would. Its just over 3 miles along this valley bottom and you can make good time if there is no wind, the sun is in the sky and the ambiance is generally pleasant.
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0334_edited-1.jpg
Looking up Glen Lochay onto Stron nan Eun

We opted not to do this as we were too busy taking pictures, admiring the coo’s, the scenery and the approaching Ben Challum, but eventually we made it to Batavaine. The route takes you up behind the house, up the grassy slope to join the track that makes its way up to connect to the upper track.
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0344.jpg
Just left the track and heading to Stron nan Eun

Now that was the easy bit, which we soon realised as we headed up the grassy slope towards Sron nan Eun. Now here’s the thing, the route as detailed in ‘The Ultimate Guide’ details a route around its base however somewhere in the plethora of guide books we recalled one that suggested an option of cutting a diagonal right to approach the summit. This we duly did and had an excellent rise to the top. Excellent snow with unbelievable views that were sublime.
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0361_edited-1.jpg
On the nose of Stron nan Eun looking down Glen Lochay and onto Tarmachan

Creag Mhor Feb 11_0375_edited-1.jpg
Ben Challum and the ridge of Sail Dhub

Although there was snow it was quite clear from the little patched of path we could see the route up to the summit of Creag Mhor (1048m).
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0373.jpg
Looking up the route to the summit of Creag Nhor

Creag Mhor Feb 11 Pana 1.jpg
Pana of the head of Geln Lochay

Creag Mhor Feb 11_0376.jpg
Creag Mhor summit

Creag Mhor Feb 11_0396.jpg
Looking down from the summit of Creag Mhor

Top reached the scenery was amazing. Great place for a cup of tea and a butty.
Although it is clear where you want to go – alas its not so straightforward.
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0393.jpg
The way ahead - well not actually..... but eventually. Stob an Fhir-bhogha

Again the guidebooks suggest a route that is NW for ½ Km then North…. Hmm!
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0412.jpg
Icy descent/traverse off Creag Mhor

The snow was rock set with ice and the traverse NW was somewhat precarious – I would suggest following the walking NW to avoid this guidance. Should the visibility been poor and were unable to see where we were heading – it could have been rather dodgy the next bit. Not so today thank goodness with excellent visability what was required of us was clear and obvious.
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0414.jpg
Back end of Creag Mhor - the col is on the right of pic

Reaching the col and crossing some boggy stuff we looked back at Creag Mhor just confirm that heading off in the opposite direction at the top was so the right thing to do. From Lochan na Baintighearna we made our way across to ascend the ridge taking us to the top of Stob an Fhir-bhogha (1029m).
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0432.jpg
View from Stob an Fhir-bhogha

Creag Mhor Feb 11_0434_edited-1.jpg
Summit of Ston an Fhir-bhogha

From here it seemed like a stones throw to Beinn Heasgarnich - aye maybe if I was Fingal as it took longer to get there than it looked. The good thing was that as we made our way across we spotted an excellent escape route that we would take on our return back to the track. From Heasgarnich we could see Ben Nevis and Ben Cruachan indeed I think we could just make out Disneyland, Florida (OK, maybe the fair was in Oban).
I would just like to add that both summits were very icy with mainly a thin or hard cover of snow over rock. Having packed microspikes I was damn well going to use them and we did making the going not just easier and safer but it also allowed us to gape at the inspiring views that surrounded us.
Creag Mhor Pana 2 Feb 11.jpg
Pana of Beinn Heasgarnich

Now, we still have about 2 miles to go but the light falling behind Challum made it a pleasant plod back to the car.
OK it was a long day and OK my legs were more than a little tired and OK maybe I wasn't upset that it was not as good the next day and I could get a wee lie in (OK - that's a lie - I enjoyed the extra kip) however it was a grand day out.
This is our first walk write up which has made me appreciate the work that others go to in order to get their day typed out - respect! Maybe I will ge faster at it.... maybe.
PS I have no idea why I had the extra/repeat pic at the bottom - could not get rid. Hey ho.
Attachments
Creag Mhor Feb 11_0445_edited-2.jpg
Sun going down over Ben Challum
Last edited by jimandandrea on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Creag Mhor & Beinn Heasgarnich

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 am

Brilliant report which I thoroughly drooled over! Love the pictures too, especially the second one (relection shot) and the "path looking up to summit of Creag Mhor". :D I guess you somehow accidentally added that last photograph twice but one time you didn't place it inline in the body of the report.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:15 am

Wow - absolutely superb report. Welcome to Walkhighlands!

I'm especially impressed as my memory of those hills was not very inspiring (probably partly the weather) but they look wonderful in your photos 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Lovely first report and pictures - I especially like the photo titled "On the nose of Stron nan Eun looking down Glen Lochay and onto Tarmachan". :D

Paul Webster wrote:Wow - absolutely superb report. Welcome to Walkhighlands!
I'm especially impressed as my memory of those hills was not very inspiring (probably partly the weather) but they look wonderful in your photos 8)
I'd echo Paul's comments. I did this trip anticlockwise (I seem to prefer it to clockwise :? ) a few weeks ago with white out conditions and rotten weather so it's great to see what they look like in decent weather (and a decent photographer). :thumbup:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Really good first WR,and pictures,still not done those two
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby doogz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Beautiful shots

We were on beinn ime with views to your hills

Did you need crampons for the descent of Creag Mhor ?

Looked decidedly icy ......especially in the shade

Only the summit of Ime was icy

Never saw a thing when I done these , thanks for filling in the views :thumbup:

Doogz
doogz

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:11 am

We did use crampons on Creag Mhor but ice was the issue on Heasgarnich so we used microspikes there - which were excellent. We now pack both as ice has been more of an issue for us this winter and great when you need to 'get a grip'. Cheers for the feedback.
How do you post your pics without also posting the details of the file etc? I see other people manage this but I can't see how to do it.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:50 am

How do you post your pics without also posting the details of the file etc? I see other people manage this but I can't see how to do it.

Those ones are where the poster has hosted the photo on another website and just shows it on Walkhighlands. I could easily remove the file details from the display if you think that would look better (but leave the caption)?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:55 am

No- you have answered a question that puzzled me as I noticed on some postings - there was nothing underneath and wondered how they did that? No, just leave the file name - I will just have to avoid using incorrect spellings etc when I name my files (as I often do!). Cheers.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Really great report and stunning pics, I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Beee-au-tiful...

:D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

rockhopper wrote:Lovely first report and pictures - I especially like the photo titled "On the nose of Stron nan Eun looking down Glen Lochay and onto Tarmachan". :D

Paul Webster wrote:Wow - absolutely superb report. Welcome to Walkhighlands!
I'd echo Paul's comments. I did this trip anticlockwise (I seem to prefer it to clockwise :? ) a few weeks ago with white out conditions and rotten weather so it's great to see what they look like in decent weather (and a decent photographer). :thumbup:

We opted to do it clockwise because of your report - mainly due to your descent description. We commented at regular intervals on your walk vs our day. Well done you for doing it in those conditions :thumbup: We had put it off until the weather looked at least reasonable, turned out to be the best weather we have had for ages. Jammy but chuffed.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I think these two hills are under-rated and your report does them great justice. Welcome to the site.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland