walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Glen Lyon circuit

North Glen Lyon circuit

Postby malky_c » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon), Cam Chreag (Glen Lyon)

Fionas included on this walk: Meall a'Mhuic

Date walked: 18/02/2011

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1380m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Beinn Dearg, Cam Creag
Grahams: Meall a' Mhuic
Date walked: 18/02/2011
Distance: 19km
Ascent: 1380m
Time: 5 hours 45 minutes
Weather: Cloud at 450m all day, no visibility/intermittent white out. Calm apart from most exposed areas.

I'd been looking forward to my friday off for some time, as being in Dundee, I'd have easy access to places I hadn't been for ages. Typically, the weather was forecast to be good in the NW but gloomy in the central highlands :roll: . Still, too much access to weather forecasts and walk reports can be a bad thing - sometimes it's better to just get out there and see what happens. I'd had my eyes on a nice looking Corbett/Graham combination in Glen Lyon for a couple of months now, and Kinley's recent circuit over 2/3 of these hills had upped the anticipation a bit.

An earlyish start from Dundee and I was heading down Glen Lyon just after 8am. The weather was living up to the weather forecast so far - calm, above freezing, and with cloud sitting just above 400m. There was talk of this lifting a bit north of Loch Tay, but it didn't come to anything. Anyway, I'd forgotten just how impressive Glen Lyon is. I've never had much luck with the weather on hills in this area, but the glen still looks impressive nonetheless. High hills, steep rocky slopes and impressive gorges. I'd say it's up there with the great glens like Affric, Strathfarrar and Strathconon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left the carpark at Innerwick at 8.45 and crossed back over the road bridge to pick up the Lairig Ghallabanaich track. Almost immediately I diverted right through a gate, and stated climbing the boggy side of Creag Ard, climbing a couple of fences on the way.

Innerwick and Glen Lyon from the slopes of Beinn Dearg:

There were brief views down Glen Lyon, before I was sucked up by the cloud (the snowline was at about the same level). At first it seemed like the snow would be quite patchy, but coverage got more consistent as I gained height. Sadly it didn't get any harder, and I was walking through soft, wet, sligtly melting snow for much of the day.

Typical view for the day (should save you looking at any of the other photos):

Creag Ard had originally been part of the plan, as I'd hoped for views up and down the glen from here, but there didn't seem much point in the conditions, so I took a bearing towards the Creag Ard/Beinn Dearg col. Athough I wasn't in a white-out, all I could see was a soggy snow/heather mixture. I may as well have been on some kind of wet conveyer belt!

I hit an old fence line on the final ascent, but this turned away just before the summit. A short stretch of nothing followed and I almost overshot the summit cairn, but it appeared as a greyish smudge 20 meters or so to the right. Not quite what I was after in the views department, but I decided that carrying on with the route would be good navigation practice.

Beinn Dearg summit:

A bearing NW took me over the pimple of Meall Glas and directly down to the summit of the Lairig Ghallabanaich. The snow was softer lower down, and I fell in a couple of boggy holes. A quick descent though.

Crossing the track, another bearing took me directly to the summit of the Graham, still with no views. I'm not a massive fan of posting up endless photos of summit cairns, but I need something to break the text up!

Meall a' Mhuic summit:

Another bearing to the Lairig a' Mhuic, this descent being steeper and rockier than the previous one. A bit of floundering in the deep heather and wet snow, then up next to a burn on the opposite slope. I passed a ruined shieling. Nice to know someone else had been here at some point in the past!

Shieling above the Allt a' Mhuic:

My original plan was to contour round the N side of Meall nam Maigheach, but the soft snow was knackering, and I found myself drifting towards the higher, more wind-scoured ground, as the snow was slightly firmer here. So it was I ended up at the summit cairn unintended.

A rough bearing from the summit took me slightly south of the col before Cam Creag, but it was rather nice to see the building marked on the map - looked like a garage for quad bikes or something. An ugly pile of corrugated iron, but it was the first time in ages that I had been 100% certain of my position. There's always a niggling doubt with cairns that they don't actually mark the summit.

Shed under Cam Creag:

Up behind the shed, I took on the eastern slope of Cam Creag. The actual summit looked to have some crags below it on the map, so I aimed south a bit to miss these. I was feeling pretty knackered by this point, and with visibility deteriorating even more, I wondered if I could be bothered with this one. Being less than a km away and only 200m above me, I decided to press on.

The slope steepened, and I wondered about avalanche risk. I'd usually decide based on what was above, depth of snow and gradient, but I was now in a complete white-out for short sections. The odd sprig of heather poking through occasionally convinced me that the snow wasn't that deep, so I decided nothing serious was likely to happen.

Rocks and bits of heather showing through the snow became more and more intermittent, and the only way I could tell I had reached the summit ridge was that the going became easier - I must've stopped going uphill. I took another bearing due north and headed (I supposed) towards the summit.

Shortly after passing a sawn-off wooden post, I appeared to be heading downhill slightly. This didn't seem right, although I didn't think the bit I had just crossed was the summit either. I was concious of the steeper slope to the right - I couldn't see anything but I had a feeling I was veering off in the opposite direction to avoid it. Even with the compass out the whole time, it can be surprisingly difficult to stick to a bearing. Retracing my steps to the high point, I had another go. This was more successful, and after 5 minutes I was at what appeared to be the summit cairn. Good enough for me!

Summit of Cam Creag:

I hadn't intended using the track back down Allt a' Choire Uidhre as a return route, as the ridge of Ben Meggernie looked much more scenic on the map. However with no views, and a desire to take the easiest route back, I retraced my steps to the shed. Although it had started to snow, my footprints were still clear, and what had taken 40 minutes on ascent took under 15 on return.

The fun was not yet over, as deep soft snow in the corrie obscured the track, and visibility was still poor. After smashing around in heather, falling into holes and crossing a few tributaries, I found the track. Snow was still up to a foot deep on this, but it was nice to have something to follow. There were some annoying re-ascents, but eventually I was on gravel. The track was in pretty poor condition with large parts scoured out. I doubt it would give very speedy cycling access.

Finally out of the cloud, there were views down the glen. Fatdogwalks had mentioned recent hydro works in this area, and it was clear that the estate had installed 2 or 3 run of river schemes in the glens which converge on Innerwick.

Allt a' Choire Uidhre:

Approaching the car, there was something approaching a glimmer of sunshine on Beinn Dearg, but it was probably just my imagination. A pretty hard day in the end, lacking in any of the decent views but providing a good challenge. Cam Creag is a hill I'd choose to come back to on a better day, as the Ben Meggernie route looks nice.

Back down to Glen Lyon:

I hadn't realised how cold it was until I was back in the car, at which point I found myself with the heating on full blast. Shorts probably weren't the most approriate clothing for the day! In retrospect, with the weather looking even worse for the weekend, I probably had it lucky.
Last edited by malky_c on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: North Glen Lyon circuit

Postby kevsbald » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Shorts!! :shock: Good effort though.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Looks like you had a tough day there despite it being more promising at the start. Can't have been easy navigating in those conditions - good job. Judging from other posts, it looks like Thursdays are best for during the week as opposed to Fridays. :D
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:14 am

Really enjoyed your report but think you may have imagined that glimmer of sunshine on Beinn Dearg - as for the shorts :crazy:

Thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby yokehead » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Shorts, shorts?? :shock: :? Had you been drinking before you left instead of at the summit?

Good to see your camera has the same feature as mine, photos taken using the 'whiteout' setting. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Shame about the views, well lack of them :)

Good to get out no matter the weather.

Your mental going out in shorts :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby andyfitz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Smashing report of what looked and sounded like a tough day.

Shorts! Why not. It's good to get a bit of colour in the legs - even if that colour is purple or blue!
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Fantastic report!!! Just what I needed! Stuck at work on a 12 hour shift! Pictures are amazing!!!

Don't know about the shorts though, hope you didn't shave them this morning!! :lol:
pollyh33

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:00 am

andyfitz wrote:It's good to get a bit of colour in the legs - even if that colour is purple or blue!

I suppose the red was tending towards purple by the end...

My main concern at the start of the day was that after reading your Meall Buidhe report I wouldn't even get to the start of the walk. Luckily that wasn't a problem at all. I'm guessing the high road in by the Lawers visitor centre probably still had a bit of snow at the high point though.

yokehead wrote:Good to see your camera has the same feature as mine, photos taken using the 'whiteout' setting. 8)

Took these on my phone as I couln't even be bothered to get my proper camera out of the bag. First time I've remembered to take spare batteries for ages as well :crazy:

Cheers for all the responses - this was really the type of report I'd made a new year's resolution not to bother writing up, as it gives a pretty rubbish idea what to expect on these hills. Maybe I'll be able to stop myself next time :wink: . If you want to see what this lot actually look like, I'd suggest Kinley's and Graeme Dewar's reports - much better 8)
malky_c

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Brilliant report Malky... some pleasing photies too although...

would appreciate the picture of a man in some skimpy shorts rather than the narrative...

you understand... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 am

Love the choice of hills Malky, and quite hard navigation tackled in a smart way, aiming off the summit of Cam Creag and then straight north along the ridge. I'll mark the shed on my map. Also, I like the way you not pay much attention to the conditions. They're not worth it.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

Top marks for perseverence Malky on a hellish looking day. Under 6 hours is pretty good going for the full circuit of these three in those conditions. It took me longer than that to do just the two, but then I was lounging about in the warm sunshine for lengthy periods at a time. Sorry! I had my shorts on that day too. Must be something about these hills that brings out the urge to get the shorts on. I wonder if kinley was flashing some leg too when he was up there???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:I wonder if kinley was flashing some leg too when he was up there???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Based on the evidence shown in other reports...

...I'd say probably not :lol:
malky_c

Postby kinley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 pm

:shock: My knees don't even come out in summer! Shocking suggestion :lol:

That looked interesting Malky - if lacking in views. :(

Nice route and impressive navigating. :)
kinley

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i..
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland