walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Wyvis Story - part 2

The Wyvis Story - part 2

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Route description: Little Wyvis, near Garve

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 24/02/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Litlle Wyvis is widely known as The Smaller Brother of The Big Wyvis :D As it just about reaches Corbett height and is overshadowed by its higher companion, no wonder it is not a very popular hill among climbers. Some more ambitious hillwalkers combine the two Wyvis Brothers in a single walk. We climbed them on different days and as Little Wyvis is not considered a very interesting walk by itself, we did it in February, in winter conditions, just to make it a bit exciting.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The usual approach is along the same path as for the bigger Ben. Big Wyvis welcomed us, dressed in pure white. It was quiet and surprisingly warm for this time of the year. When we reached the bottom of the hill, we crossed over the frozen Allt a Bhealaich Mhoir and headed up the slope of Little Wyvis. There is no path to the top, but even if there was one, no chance we could spot it with all that white stuff around us :D :D
little wyvis 006.JPG
Ben Wyvis in white dress :)

little wyvis 015.JPG
Christmas trees???

little wyvis 028.JPG
The peak of An Cabar and Allt a Bhealaich Mhoir

little wyvis 150.JPG
The bulky shape of Tom na Caillich, the northern peak of Little Wyvis

Initially we climbed along the fence, then went straight up the side of the hill. It would have been an easy walk but for the amount of snow and ice. Halfway up we put crampons on, just in case.
wyvis1.jpg
Climbing in the sun

We reached the ridge at 662m point between Tom na Caillich and the main summit. From there it's just a short walk to the top of Little Wyvis. Yeah, in summer it may be a bit boring but we were lucky enough to see the enchanting, wintry panorama of the Highlands. Well worth the effort!
little wyvis 034.JPG

little wyvis 039.JPG
Do you know who I am?...

little wyvis 042.JPG

little wyvis 066.JPG

little wyvis 128.JPG
Me and An Cabrach in the background :)

little wyvis 137.JPG
I don't want to go home...

I wished we could've stayed there for longer, but no dream lasts forever :lol: :lol:. We retraced our steps down the hill, to the path, from where we could say our last bye-bye to the Wyvis hills.
little wyvis 166.JPG
Good-bye Wyvis Brothers!

I never expected that a short walk on a flat-topped hill can be as exciting! This litle trip was a good start for the year 2010. Hopefully, this year we'll also have a few days like that 8)
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: The Wyvis Story - part 2

Postby tango » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:09 pm

I can see why you didn't want to go home!!! :D a little hill with some excellent photos opportunities.... thats what i love about the British hills you never know what you going to get!!! look forward to your next report..thanks
tango

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm

British Hills are like a box of chocolates
you never know what you going to get
.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry tango, couldn't resist :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby tango » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am

Chris good classic film that!!!! :D .. Hows your move going or not??
tango

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm

tango wrote:Chris good classic film that!!!! :D .. Hows your move going or not??

No clear date yet but the move is still on for later this year........waiting, waiting, waiting :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland