walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mam na Guilainn...it was hairy!

Mam na Guilainn...it was hairy!

by walk aboot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Route description: Mam na Gualainn circuit, Kinlochleven

Corbetts included on this walk: Mam na Gualainn

Date walked: 19/02/2011

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Mam na Guilainn...it was hairy!

Postby walk aboot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm

:lol:

Hi Keith, sure, great 8) , we've heard many a tale of the epic adventures you get Alan involved in :thumbup: .

...more fodder for my trip reports :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby mountainstar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:58 pm

I'll tag this on to this report....
Next day, Walk aboot sadly had to return home, so me and the outlaw formally known as Mountain Coward did Fraochaidh. The weather was cloudy and down way below the summit, so not a day for good pictures, but I did this short video, which sums up the day and saves me doing a TR. :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnzvv4TqclM[/youtube]
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby walk aboot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:53 pm

:thumbup: 8)
walk aboot

Postby tango » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Excellent report by all, sounds like my sort days =beer+fight+laughs & a hill.... :D that photo of the plant pot made me laugh :lol: :lol: ..i was going to say something sexiest but ill get slated so ill leave it :shock: thanks
Last edited by tango on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tango

Postby tango » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I also forgot to say that has to a contender for report of the month, just for comedy value :D
tango

Postby morag1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm

what a great story, loved the bit about the clachaig inn, have been in situations like that myself and yes, the singers just carry on while all hell breaks loose.

wonder if the barefoot man could be the naked rambler? he is an ex marine who walks all over scotland in the buff (no I am not kidding) and gets arrested nearly every week. he even spent time in prison and the minute his time was up he walked out the prison stark naked then got arrested again!!

morag
morag1

Postby tango » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Morag sounds like that ex-marine has had too much sheep sh*gger, the reason whilst he is naked..by the way the Marines i have worked with are always naked "after a beer" :shock: Marine thing!!!!!!!!!!!
tango

Postby walk aboot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks, tango and morag1 :)

@ tango...too late, we already figured out you were just about to insult women drivers! :evil: :lol:

@ morag1

Nope, the naked rambler has been in prison continually over the past few years, re-arrested each time he insists on leaving prison in the nude. I read in the paper the same thing happened to him a month or so ago, so he is still in prison...Perth or Barlinnie, can't remember which. The guy camping out in Kinlochleven is a wee bit more worrying for the locals, because there are times folk have seen him and his feet have been blue :shock: . It is amazing he got through the bad Winter we've just had, but things don't sound good for his feet (lucky he still has them!) :? .
walk aboot

Postby morag1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm

tango - thanks for the explanation. next time i meet a marine i will make sure i buy him and his mates several pints then sit back and enjoy it :D

walk aboot - i cant understand how he survived the winter either i would have thought it was impossible to go around barefoot. :?
morag1

Postby mountainstar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 pm

tango wrote:I also forgot to say that has to a contender for report of the month, just for comedy value :D

I'll second that :D

Only laugh I've had anywhere near that recently is seeing some youthfull pictures of Stretch he posted on Facebook a few days ago...Stretch if you see this I dare you to expose those photo's here :lol:
Amazing parking that, I don't think I could park that close to the tub if i tried.....its just a pity Carol never tried as well! :) :?
mountainstar
Walker

Postby walk aboot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 pm

:lol: I'm just chuffed with myself for writing a walk report with an actual walk in it this time :D .

Here's a contender for book of the month...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witch-Light-Sus ... 842&sr=1-2

Alan was telling me about a novel, written by one of the bar staff in the Clachaig, about a witch and the Glencoe Massacre. I picked it up in the Glencoe cafe/books and craft shop on the Sunday morning, and really is a good read, recommended :) .

The author is Susan Fletcher (she's got a few prize-winning novels under her belt).

Thanks for the heads up on this book, Alan - really enjoying it :D . Er, the new paperback edition has been renamed, 'Witch Light' :? ...I like the hardback, 'Corrag' (the witch's name) better with the photo of Bucachaille Etive Mor on the front 8) .
walk aboot

Postby mountainstar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Yes, Keith was telling me about the re-name, apparantly due to pressure from Waterstones, who would not sell it unless the title was changed, thats some power!
mountainstar
Walker

Postby walk aboot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:02 am

'Tis :? .

I think a few folk who are interested in reading about the Glencoe massacre may miss it being a good book on the subject because of the new title/cover. That's why I've posted the details, let folk know about it :) .
walk aboot

Postby othmc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:39 pm

A most enjoyable read 'walk aboot'. Plenty of laughs. :D
Here's what it looked like yesterday.

Oops posted this from the Over-the-hill side instead of my own 'ALANREIDHILLS'
Never mind, same sentiments.
Attachments
P1260232gNN0861.JPG
Mam na Gualainn from the west
othmc

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby walk aboot » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks, ALANREIDHILLS :) Nice photo 8)
walk aboot

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland