walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo

Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 26/02/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 22.8 km

Ascent: 1318m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Leaving Glasgow early, it was raining but it didn’t last long. :shock: :) Both the MWIS and BBC forecasts were looking promising and they turned out to be more or less correct. No problems getting through the twelve miles of 40mph roadworks but did get held up a little at the traffic lights controlled contra flow close to Pitlochry – little traffic so not too serious.

Parked just beside Loch Moraig – first car there but there were quite a few when I returned in the afternoon. Followed the standard WH route for the three munros.

Set off up the track and turned off at the wee hut.....which is now just a heap of corrugated iron. Other earlier reports show it in all its glory then half blown over...and now it’s gone.

1 The hut at the turn is no more....JPG

There then followed a relatively boggy section until the start of the rubbly path which leads up Carn Liath. It looks just like a scar from the distance but makes the going easy although the stones are loose in places.

2 Carn Liath.JPG

3 SW to Loch Moraig and beyond.JPG

The views back to the south start to open up on getting higher up the hill and it wasn’t long before I reached the top of Carn Liath.

4 Carn Liath cairn.JPG

From the summit there’s a good view of the twisting, turning ridge towards Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain (BCCb) and then on to Carn nan Gabhar (Gabhar).

5 Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

6 Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain.JPG

7 Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

8 The way ahead from Carn Liath.JPG

Heading NW down from Carn Liath I stopped to put on a jacket and microspikes due to ice/snow; the wind was also making it a lot colder. Just at this point, another walker appeared from nowhere and went straight past me going at a fair old rate; I didn’t meet him again until I was just below the third summit and he had started his return !

9 Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain.JPG

The track to BCCb is like a slow roller coaster as it twists and turns up and down on the way to the second summit of the day.

10 Looking back to Carn Liath.JPG

11 Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

12 Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain cairn.JPG

13 Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

From the top of BCCb, I had to go W then N towards the 1004m top then turn sharply E to head down the slope towards Gabhar in order to avoid the steep sides below the summit. At this point, some grey clouds rolled over and there was a flurry of snow which soon ended. The clouds blew over and the sun came out again. :D Once down on the bealach there are great views N up Glas Leathad.

14 Glas Leathad.JPG

15 Looking back from Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

It’s then a straightforward walk up to the summit where again you come to the trig point before walking further along to the summit cairn. Again, nice views all round. It was cold and windy on the top so I got some shelter below the first cairn for an early lunch.

16 Carn nan Gabhar cairn.JPG

17 NE from Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

18 NW from Carn nan Gabhar.JPG

Then the return journey – retraced my steps back down to the top of Bealach an Fhiodha and met two more walkers heading up Gabhar. I then followed the Allt going down SSW towards the base of Beinn Bheag then SW back towards the main track.

19 Return route down and beside the Allt Bealach an Fhiodha.JPG

The return journey seemed to take almost as long as the outward journey probably due to the mix of snow, bog and peat hags coming down the Allt Bealach an Fhiodha and round Beinn Bheag.

Beinn a'Ghlo activelog [trackpoints reduced to fit] 26feb2011.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I hadn’t been out for a walk for over a month and was happy with my time; by cutting out all the stops for photos, views, refreshments, catching breath, put on microspikes, take off microspikes etc, I’m sure I could cut the time down (and completely knacker myself no doubt) but then what’s the point of going in the first place ? If I just wanted exercise and fresh air, I could walk round the house for a few hours. :? Despite the long walk out at the end, this was a very enjoyable day out made all the better by the nice weather. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 pm

A very respectable time indeed RH! Your total is steadily clicking upwards. :D Savour it and enjoy it - as if you need me to give you that advice.... :lol: It's nearly 2 years since I did this walk and I've still not go the report up yet! That day, in June 2009) the hut was still standing. When I next passed by en-route to the Corbett Ben Vuirich in June 2010, it was collapsed in it's side, but most of the pieces were still there. Looks like it's been well and truly cannibalised now.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby csimbad » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi Rockhopper that would have been me passing you I don't have much time before I need to hit the road to return home due to the wife's shift work so need to get home to the kids. Wish I could have spent more time up there the weather was great. Got you on one of my pics heading up Carn Liath, a good day apart from the stalkers path on the outward route :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:00 am

Cheers Graeme.
Checked the time on my phone (phoned the wife just after getting to the top of Gabhar) so knew it took about 4hrs to get to the final top.......allowing for half an hour on the top, it must've taken me about 3 hours to get back to the car. With fewer stops on the way down, I reckon it must've taken nearly as long to return as to get up....think I need a new left knee. :lol: Compared to csimbad though, I was positively pedestrian :lol:

Hi csimbad.
You were certainly shifting yesterday. I saw your pic with me - bent double under the weight of my sack, struggling against the elements... :lol: :lol: Agreed on the stalkers path but heading into the sun was great. :D
rockhopper

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 am

lovely :D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby fingeez » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey Rockhopper

some nice pics on there

Looks like a fine walk, so good infact i might pop up there soon for a jaunt :)

What do you think are the chances of finding a suitable camping spot near Bein Bheag heading towards Allt Bealach an Fhiodha if walking the route in reverse?
Got my tent to test out and could nip up after work on friday walk alittle ways in camp then head up and round in the morning :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

Postby doogz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

we were right next door to you on Carn a Chlamain.......

you will be in here somewhere

had intended to do this ...

doogz
doogz

Postby Bruadair » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Rock'r,

That was a fair old leg stretch in a very respectable time, I would have needed a stretcher and oxygen to get back......looks to be a nice walk and I like the cut of BCCb ridge...some nice photo's.

Regards............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:33 pm

What a weekend of weather that was :D Good report.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 am

Nice report Rockhopper :D .

Thats a fair pace for doing this in winter.

I did these in October before the Snow came and it took me 5.30hrs - but i ran the last 10k :) .
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks for all your comments :D

MW and Paul - yep, it's great to get good weather, makes it all the more enjoyable

doogz - nice photo - it was certainly a busy area that day

Bruadair and dooterbang - I was happy with the pace but nowhere near the fastest as you'll see from csimbad's report of the same day ! I tried jogging the last few yards to the gate before the car park just to see if I could do it.............very quick conclusion, I should stick to walking as I'll never be a runner :lol:

Ross - that section was covered in a lot of longish heather and boggy sections - I don't remember seeing many flattish grassy areas but have to admit that I was concentrating on trying to find bits of a track. I've attached below 3 other photos to let you see the sort of terrain - the first is looking back to Airgiod Bheinn from the bottom of Coire Fhiodha, the second is looking forward from there and the third looks up towards the ridge between Liath and BCCb. Not sure but it might be flatter further down towards the main track ?
DSCF6268 (Large).JPG

DSCF6269 (Large).JPG

DSCF6270 (Large).JPG
rockhopper

Postby fingeez » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 am

Cheers for the pics Rockhopper, gives a good idea what to expect. Might leave this one for another time as i'd be arriving with onyl a few hours before dark and dont wanna have to search for a decent flattish are for too long lol.
Although the ground does like fairly flat in the 3rd pic.

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland