walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane (beaten by the Brashers) Not this time

Ben Vane (beaten by the Brashers) Not this time

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 12/02/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 1003m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So off we go on a solo again and I was desperate to put my failure demons to the sword...so Ben Vane was my chosen battlefield. I must admit having read the excellant report by (Relayer 2112) and also that of Davgil, I had my reservations on whether or not I was up to or could sustain my challenge. So suitably attired I set off down the A82 from Inveruglas visitor centre carpark towards the track just after 8.00am. On accessing the track I could hear the thundering of Inveruglas Water as it tumbled down the falls towards Loch Lomond so took a quick snap.
P1010129.JPG
Inveruglas Water taken from just under rail bridge (NN317092)
and a few yards further on a snap of Ben Vorlich
P1010130.JPG
Ben Vorlich
Continuing along the track I passed an area littered with bone fragments........we've all seen such sights on walks, but do you ever wonder what had eaten whatever the bones belonged to, and if it was eyeing you up for it's next meal.......the things that go on in your head when your on a solo eh! anyway as I trudged on my arena came into view.....well almost.
P1010132.JPG
Ben Vane or should be Ben Veil
and for good measure
P1010131.JPG
A' Chrois
On I continued past Coiregrogain, over the bridge at (NN298095) to my assent start point of (NN295092)
P1010133.JPG
The start of my assent (NN295092)
After negotiating a small burn and a dance over some heavy bog I continued NW up the hill and eventually caught the track at (NN291093) where I took the opportunity for a photo break. Further uphill I could see the small cave where due to my boots I conceded defeat on my last attempt at this hill, and with feet more comfortable I was determined not to be beaten this time out.
P1010134.JPG
The cave up ahead (1.00 o'clockish)
P1010135.JPG
East across Loch Lomond towards Loch Arklet & Loch Katrine
P1010136.JPG
A' Chrois dissappearing under a sunlit cloud
Whilst I was taking my photo break a couple of chaps passed and you can just make them out in the distance to the right of the cave in next photo'
P1010138.JPG
The cave at (NN286095)
and soon they were out of sight. The weather forecast suggested that it may brighten but as I progressed the cloud lowered and became thicker and soon I was up past the slow line and deep into the white stuff, it's good to try different routes, but sometimes you need the reassurance of someone else being there and leading the way.
P1010140.JPG
Trail in the snow
P1010141.JPG
Where am I
as I neared the summit I met the chaps that had passed me earlier on the hill who gave good advice on a tricky scramble before the summit and albeit the crampons were on....I'm not as bendy or flexible as I used to be so the advice was well heeded. When I reached the summit I wasn't sure whether or not I was actually there or not, my GPS had me there but as I reached the small Cairn I noticed a trail in the snow pass and drop off the other side of the plateu....the cloud was so thick at this point that I wasn't sure if there was another top...so I followed the trail off the top for a bit, checked my GPS again which showed me moving away from summit, so I had to top out again and that is when I spied larger Cairn....time now 12.15.
P1010142.JPG
Small summit cairn
P1010143.JPG
Large Cairn in distance
P1010144.JPG
Top Out!!!!!!!!!
P1010146.JPG
A scenic shot from the summit
Now gagging for a hot cuppa, and with wind starting to lift a tad....I desided I would drop down hill a bit where eventually and smugly enjoyed my warm brew looking back up at my conquest. Once back on terra firma I took final shots of Ben Vane & A' Chrois both of which by this time were almost out of sight.
P1010147.JPG
Ben Vane (ish)
P1010148.JPG
A veiled ... A' Chrois

To the victor goes the spoils.....and a nice drive home in bright sun.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Vane (beaten by the Brashers) Not this time

Postby davgil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Well done Bruadair!

Nice report and glad you conquered your demons this time :)

That scramble is a bit scary in winter so you did well (I was glad to get that bit over)

David
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby Bruadair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm

davgil wrote:Well done Bruadair!

Nice report and glad you conquered your demons this time :)

That scramble is a bit scary in winter so you did well (I was glad to get that bit over)

David

Thanks David........ I thought I struggled a bit from cramp yesterday, but now I think it's a pulled muscle, so don't know who beat who.

B.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby pruney84 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Well done Bruadair, nice report, enjoyed reading it, look forward to getting up there 1 day, and will remember the two cairns when i do.

Thanks
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm

8) Certainly would be a steep old pull in winter conditions that one... a bit tough under snow for me :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Nice report Bruadair, I took Zippy my Bassett Hound up Ben Vane in summer and I had to lift him up some of the scrambles. I can't imagine doing it in those conditions - Well done!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Well done for getting there, lovely pictures :)

Maybe just as well there's no more wolves living in the hills...
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Bruadair » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 am

All...........Thanks for taking time to read report and for your kind responses.

Paul....I now know why it states normally done as a single......although I did meet guys on hill who were hoping to go on & do Beinn Ime (the owners of trail off the back of BV summit).

2D's.....I envy all the walkers who have their dogs out in tghe hills, particularly when off lead....I have Beagles (show dogs) and terrified to let them off lead as they would pick up a scent just dissappear....and they are stupid enough to run off a crag in search of the scent......can't wait for better weather to take some up hill...on lead of course.

MW.... Are you sure about that.....Woooooooaaaaaahh!!
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Bruadair wrote:MW.... Are you sure about that.....Woooooooaaaaaahh!!

That's one crazy howl Bruadair.... what have you been eating :wink: ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brilliant report :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby allister3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:34 pm

hi B,we seen you at the top of beinn each,did you make it to stuc ?.will you send some information on that walk for 2 Scots please...

A3
allister3
Hill Bagger

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby allister3 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:42 pm

hi B,this is you at the top of beinn each,could see with the binocular`s as we were about to ascend SaC..did you have to catch me pulling my trouser`s up,ha ha.thank`s for the 2 Scot`s website,we will have to register our munro`s asap..

cheer`s a3
Attachments
024.JPG
allister3
Hill Bagger

Postby allister3 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm

hi,i have sent the requests for steven and i to climb ben cruachan and coire caorach on 1st april for 2 scots, although coire is not on thier list of munro`s..we intend to do as many as possible that day seen as we are up there..

a3
allister3
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland