walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Monadhliath Circuit

The Monadhliath Circuit

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 am

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 26/02/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 25.4 km

Ascent: 1124m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided to do this walk in reverse; mainly because I wanted to finish walking back along the river. The start is easy enough and bogs aside it's not long before the final ascent to the summit of A' Chailleach comes into view. The weather is looking gorgeous... All set for a good day ahead :)

Monadhliath 01.jpg

The summit of A' Chailleach; the first munro of the day at 930 metres. Looking good but a tad chilly so didn't stay long...

Monadhliath 02.jpg

Me on the summit of A' Chailleach

Monadhliath 03.jpg

A quick hop, about 2 km over to Carn Sgulain; the view looking back to A' Chailleach

Monadhliath 04.jpg

The Monadhliath; there is nothing here; nothing except game birds in their thousands; some mountain hares still in their white coats; and the odd deer... Whiskey, my chocolate labrador would have loved this walk! I'm still finding the hills tough without her; like my shadow is missing; still life goes on...

Monadhliath 05.jpg

The long summit ridge of the Monadhliath; definitely one to be avoiding in the boggy summer months I think!

Monadhliath 06.jpg

Nearing Carn Dearg; at 945 metres; and the third munro of the day

Monadhliath 07.jpg

The final ridge to the summit of Carn Dearg

Monadhliath 08.jpg

Errr, I'll keep to the right then!

Monadhliath 09.jpg

Looking back east across the Monadhliath; with A' Chailleach in the distance on the left of the picture

Monadhliath 10.jpg

The view along the ridge from the summit of Carn Dearg to the southern top

Monadhliath 11.jpg

The ruined cottage at Dalballoch; and to think they want to put a wind farm here; someone should be shot!

Monadhliath 12.jpg

The view along Glen Banchor

Monadhliath 13.jpg

The all new Satmap (first outing) showing My Tracks! More about this at the end...

Monadhliath 14.jpg

Close up of the 1:50k OS Map for the summit of Carn Dearg.

Monadhliath 15.jpg

And the all important stats!! 25.4 km in around 6 hours with 1124 metres of ascent... Maximum altitude at 946 metres on Carn Dearg so pretty accurate - a good piece of kit... If anyone wants to buy me 1:25k maps feel free :)

So I should comment on the Satmap; as it's not a cheap piece of kit - best deal I found was £320 from Amazon including the full GB 1:50k OS Map:

Pros...

1. Extremely accurate both location and altitude - the latter within a metre or so I'd say looking at the summits
2. Excellent battery life - was still showing full charge when I got back; and I used it a lot; and it was cold!
3. Love the buttons; really easy to use even with large gloves on when it's cold
4. Waterproof (though I didn't test this in the river)
5. Excellent satellite reception all day - typically locked on to 9+ satellites
6. Maintained satellite lock in pocket
7. Would definitely give you confidence in bad weather / mist / whiteouts

Cons...

1. Doesn't integrate well with a MAC, but windows is fine
2. Those 1:25k maps aren't cheap; though there is the option to buy your own choice / size of map centred on your point of choice
3. Although it saves the route correctly on the device; when you download the route it has a load of waypoints for the journey (i.e. before pressing start, and after pressing stop for the route, just because it was on) so you need to remember to clear the log

That'll do for now - if you've got the cash - get one!

Monadhliath 16.jpg

And my route...

2011 - 02 - 27 - Monadhliath Circuit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: The Monadhliath Circuit

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:37 am

Great report and cracking pics, hope you had a little 'nip' at the summit for whisky. I can't believe anyone would give permission for a wind farm in the area in your pic, is it likely??

Like the look of the Satmap - was it easy to use....how much are the 1.25000 scale maps?

Enjoyed your report, thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I see, 171.5 kph max speed. Did you fly in by helicopter?
The hills look quite nice and all frozen, so winter is the time to do them, I'll keep that in mind
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:I see, 171.5 kph max speed. Did you fly in by helicopter?
:problem: :? :idea: now that sounds like a good idea :lol: :lol:

Some nice pictures there Andrew. Always think the mix of snow and brown bracken looks good. Don't know how you can manage only 42 minutes of stopped time. I always seem to end up with at least 1.5hrs for photos, views, footering with rucksack, some food, pondering on life etc. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:41 pm

hope you had a little 'nip' at the summit for whisky

Thanks Chris; always... :D

I can't believe anyone would give permission for a wind farm in the area in your pic, is it likely??

Plans have apparently been approved for a wind farm in the Mondhliath; I'm not sure on the exact location though... I don't why they can't just add a couple of turbines to the existent eyesores rather than ruining more of the landscape for the city folk.... Rant over :?

Like the look of the Satmap - was it easy to use....how much are the 1.25000 scale maps?

Very easy to use - and the routes on here really useful... So thank you to all involved in getting those there... The 1:25k maps vary from around £30 - £110 for a county - so not cheap... The centred selections are better I think, as cheaper in general though not fully researched that yet; and you only have to buy what you really really want. For most walks (including this one) the 1:50k that it came with is more than adequate. I guess it's a want rather than a need!

I see, 171.5 kph max speed. Did you fly in by helicopter?

I could explain this but I'll refrain; all the information you need to work this out is in my report :? Resolved the issue in todays report for the stats fans!! 8)

I always seem to end up with at least 1.5hrs for photos, views, footering with rucksack, some food, pondering on life etc.

Nothing wrong with spending more time in the hills :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Looks like a good long high-level walk once you're up, great photos. 8)

A fast time for the round and interesting to read your experience and views of the Satmap.

Still problems with the shaver though? That technology not up to the standard of the Satmap? :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Still problems with the shaver though? That technology not up to the standard of the Satmap?

Just trying to make myself look older... :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Nice report Andrew,also did this circut the same way as you about 18months ago,and glad I did, as that long walk out would have put me off if I had went the opposite way and had to walk all that way before starting to climb.Also good to look at your pictures and brought back some memories of these hills. nice one.

PS satmap :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Cleopatra » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Nice pictures ! Thanks for sharing !
Cleopatra
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks for posting this.

I can now see what these hills look like :D Did these other week in whiteout conditions - 12hrs :shock:

Thats a fair pace also - well done.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby blueyed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 pm

i've walked monadliath mts in early january. all white and covered in snow, it's actually quite weird but the area looks so different now with hardly any snow!
i wouldnt probably recognise a'chailleach at all :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland