walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich

Meall Chuaich

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 27/02/2011

Time taken: 3.7 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 665m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An easier walk today after yesterdays 25 km stroll around the Monadhliath. I decide to tick off Meall Chuaich near Dalwhinnie; an easy walk in and not too much ascent. A whisper of fresh snow had fallen overnight; and it's interesting to see how far up the slopes it melts by the time I'm back...

Meall Chuaich 01.jpg

Arriving at the base of Meall chuaich the sun bursts through the clouds looking at the wee hill across the reservoir...

Meall Chuaich 02.jpg

It's pretty cold on the ascent; the MWIS weather forecast of stronger winds high up being spot on as usual. All in all it doesn't look overly inviting; still plod on...

Meall Chuaich 03.jpg

Meall Chuaich 04.jpg

When finally the summit does arrive through the cloud; I'm pleased to see it; it's freezing despite the hard work on the ascent!!

Meall Chuaich 05.jpg

There's the obligatory wee dram of Whisky for Whiskey (Dalwhinnie today given the location) as I shelter from the wind behind the summit cairn.

Meall Chuaich 06.jpg

Descending through the cloud the Monadhliath from yesterday look gorgeous, but given how cold it is here; I'm thankful that was yesterdays choice...

Meall Chuaich 07.jpg

Of course, the sun comes out on the descent, and the summit clears :?

Meall Chuaich 08.jpg

And a final look back at the hill, couldn't believe how much the snow line had visibly changed in just 3 hours or so.

Meall Chuaich 09.jpg

And the stats... A leisurely but cold 14.6 clicks in 3 hrs 42 mins with 665 metres of ascent... And I've even applied a fix to the maximum speed for those of you that didn't like the helicopter ride home ;)

Meall Chuaich 10.jpg

And My Tracks...

2011 - 02 - 27 - Meall Chuaich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Meall Chuaich

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Andrew,

Great report and fantastic photos, but it does look bone chillingly cold!!!

Hope you've warmed up :lol:

Polly
pollyh33

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Hope you've warmed up

Thanks Polly, it's traditional to go for a pint and pub grub after a hearty walk no?

Sadly, my favoured Lade Inn not on the route home from this one, without a detour :D

Did you go there after your Ben Ledi walk - it's my all time favourite pub... My dog used to love it there, though she got a bit spoilt!
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Great report Andrew, looked bloody freezing but interesting how much the snow melted in just a few hours.

love this pic Image
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland