walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Ghlo

Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby csimbad » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 26/02/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.8 km

Ascent: 1358m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at Loch Moraig 8.20am second person to arrive heading of at 8.30am along the track leading to Carn Liath the weather was perfect. Bit of a wet boggy start but getting through started on up Carn Liath spotting a walker in the distance half way up. Followed the eroded path to the summit to take a couple of pics and moved on meeting the walker in front of me having a bite to eat as I headed pass to the next 2nd Munro of the day. The views were great, sun was shining and was even warm sometimes heading to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, there was some hard snow and ice on the approach but made it without the microspikes. Reaching the summit took another couple of pics then headed for the 3rd and final munro of the day Carn nan Gabhar. Heading down the Bealach an Fhiodha the cloud had moved in and offered to snow but didn't last with the sun appearing again, finally reaching the summit had a bite to eat before heading back to Loch Moraig meeting the walker I had passed earlier heading to the Carn nan Gabhar summit. I returned to Bealach an Fhiodha to head down the east side of the stream to the south picking up the wet boggy stalkers path finally reaching the track to rejoin the outward route to Loch Moraig, I was glad to get out of that stalkers path pretty boggy getting back to Loch Moraig and the car at 2.30pm to start the long drive back home. A brilliant day with perfect weather, long may they continue :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP0345.JPG
Carn Liath
IMGP0347.JPG
Carn Liath
IMGP0348.JPG
Around half way up spotting walker on the left in front fo me
IMGP0353.JPG
Looking back down from Carn Liath to Loch Moraig
IMGP0356.JPG
IMGP0357.JPG
Nearing Carn Liath summit
IMGP0359.JPG
Carn Liath summit
IMGP0361.JPG
Braigh Coire Chruinne-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar ahead
IMGP0362.JPG
IMGP0364.JPG
IMGP0365.JPG
IMGP0366.JPG
Looking back at Carn Liath
IMGP0369.JPG
IMGP0371.JPG
IMGP0375.JPG
IMGP0377.JPG
Nearing Baigh Coire Chrunn-bhalgain summit
IMGP0378.JPG
Baigh Coire Chrunn-bhalgain summit
IMGP0381.JPG
IMGP0384.JPG
IMGP0386.JPG
Crossing to the Carn nan Gabhar
IMGP0391.JPG
Carn nan Gabhar summit
IMGP0392.JPG
Carn nan Gabhar summit
IMGP0408.JPG
Finally nearing Loch Moraig and the end of a good day
Attachments
IMGP0403.JPG
Way back from Bealach an Fhiodhato Allt na Beinn Bige to pick up stalkers path
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm

:think: :think: Now where have I seen some of these pictures before. :lol: Cheers csimbad, saw your note on my walk on the same hills yesterday. You started just under half an hour after me and returned an hour before.........now that's good going. It was certainly a nice walk and I'd fully agree with your comments on the return which seemed to take ages. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Hmm, so which report is better.... :think: :lol: ? Great mountain, one of my favourites certainly :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby audreywaugh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:54 pm

:D
LeithySuburbs wrote:Hmm, so which report is better.... :think: :lol: ? Great mountain, one of my favourites certainly :D .

As Harry Hill would say.....there's only one way to find out.... :lol: :lol:

Joking, both reports and pics are great, thought it was me seeing double :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland