walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rogan's Seat via Gunnerside Gill

Rogan's Seat via Gunnerside Gill

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Rogan's Seat

Date walked: 27/02/2011

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 17.2 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Some time off work allowed me to head to the Yorkshire Dales for a couple of days,this was my first experience of the Dales and I was impressed.Its a strange National Park as it has been and still is influenced by man in a big way but it still keeps a wild feel to it.For this walk I headed for Gunnerside which is a tiny settlement in Swaledale.
My objective was Rogan's Seat so I walked up the path next to the bridge in Gunnerside walking alongside Gunnerside Gill.
Gunnerside Gill has carved out a deep valley over time which has lots of points of interest along the way from waterfalls to disused mines.
On reaching the head of the valley (along with an impressive little waterfall) I took a bearing for the summit of Rogan's Seat.The going was tough but eventually I reached the tiny pile of stones marking the summit area.Rogan's Seat is a sprawling hill and is not very interesting, although there were some good views.
A Land Rover track eased the descent to a junction of tracks (coast to coast route).Here I took a right turn to head down Swinner Gill another impressive deep valley.I crossed Swinner Gill to find the faint path that contours round above Ivelet Wood.This path had superb views of the River Swale below.After reaching a minor road its about 1.5km back to Gunnerside.This was a very enjoyable circuit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2011_0226new0001.JPG
Kings Head Gunnerside.

2011_0226new0004.JPG
Gunnerside Gill

2011_0226new0006.JPG

2011_0226new0010.JPG
There are plenty of disused mines in the valley.

2011_0226new0013.JPG

2011_0226new0017.JPG
Rogan's Seat in the distance.

2011_0226new0016.JPG

2011_0226new0021.JPG

2011_0226new0025.JPG
Rogan's Seat summit.

2011_0226new0027.JPG
Rogan's Seat summit from the Land Rover track.

2011_0226new0029.JPG
Land Rover track down to the coast to coast path.

2011_0226new0031.JPG
Swinner Gill

2011_0226new0034.JPG
Swinner Gill

2011_0226new0036.JPG
River Swale.

2011_0226new0037.JPG
River Swale looking towards Keld.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Rogan's Seat via Gunnerside Gill

Postby tango » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi Paulo, i bagged this 1 a few years ago from Keld,the weather was a little cheeky!! strong winds & rain!! :? lucky for me half way up that main track which run North to South, there is a hut "grid 922026" so i sheltered in there & brewed up for 5 minutes!!! I also did Water crag NE of Rogans seat.. both hills arent the most exciting but it keeps us out of trouble!!!! :lol:
tango

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 pm

I think I can remember the little hut next to the track.Its not the most interesting hill but it did keep me out of trouble for the day :lol:
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

wow - that brought back some fantastic memories for me from over 20 years ago.....but don't tell my mrs :wink: :lol: Thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby colgregg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Paulo I was at Blakethwaite dams yesterday too. Weather was a bit naff at times wasn't it. I walked There from near to Langthwaite via Great Pinseat and Little Punchard Head.I never saw any one at the head of Gunnerside Gill but it was well gone 3pm by the time I arrived there. I've often remarked that Gunnerside Gill is one of my favourite places in the dales. The dereliction enhances the area and is just as important to our history as many of the castles English Heritage and the like fight to maintain.
Incidently you have just done the walk I intend to do next except I will follow Swinner Gill to see the waterfalls then do a riverside return to Gunnerside. I've covered all but the Bagging of Rogans Seat (Looks totally underwhelming, but it's a 2000 footer nevertheless) in seperate walks so I intend to join them all together next time.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

I was back at the Travelodge by 4pm near Scotch Corner just in time for the footy :lol: I was extremely impressed with Gunnerside Gill there is always something of interest.The other part of this walk I really liked was the path from Swinner Gill that contours high above the river Swale back to Gunnerside.
I traveled through your neck of the woods on both days to and from the hotel and liked the look of Richmond,nice little town.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby colgregg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: walking from Blakethwaite to Rogans Seat. When you said tough does that mean you are spending your time trying to pick your way through bogs and peat hags? Thus meaning the straight mile on the map turns out to be more like 2 miles?
I see the sword is still in the cairn which caused so much debate and derision when I posted about it on here. I've never had so many responses to a post. I'm sure sure I'll beat it with my next controversial post "Should the Inn Pinn be demolished so that nervous walkers can complete the Munros?" :lol:
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Anywhere but the Land Rover track near the summit should be allowed a little extra time.These Pennine tops may not be sharp or steep but they are in no way easy.I'm sure there is no rock anywhere just a giant sponge :lol:
They sap your energy by taking the energy from every step either by bouncing or your feet disappearing into bogs.The wind always directs itself against you to add insult to injury.
Regarding the Inn Pinn I will head to an indoor wall before attempting it just to get some experience.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby colgregg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03 pm

PauloUK77 wrote:Anywhere but the Land Rover track near the summit should be allowed a little extra time.These Pennine tops may not be sharp or steep but they are in no way easy.I'm sure there is no rock anywhere just a giant sponge :lol:
They sap your energy by taking the energy from every step either by bouncing or your feet disappearing into bogs.The wind always directs itself against you to add insult to injury.
Regarding the Inn Pinn I will head to an indoor wall before attempting it just to get some experience.

Just like my experience on the pinseat to blakethwaite route then. I'd probably give Blakethwaite a miss and just bomb up and down the landy track from the path over to Swinner, Much less fuss.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland